Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello asking if anyone owns 2 sets of wheels with different tires on them. I heard that you cant switch them out at will because the bike needs to be retuned, I wanted to make sure this was true before I buy another set. I'm looking to run a set of track tires on a second set but want to be able to go back to the stock tires for light off-road and everyday use thats why I'm asking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello asking if anyone owns 2 sets of wheels with different tires on them. I heard that you cant switch them out at will because the bike needs to be retuned, I wanted to make sure this was true before I buy another set. I'm looking to run a set of track tires on a second set but want to be able to go back to the stock tires for light off-road and everyday use thats why I'm asking.
It’s my understanding that the tire pressure monitoring system has to be adjusted but a Harley tech when u switch tires. I don’t know if there would be any problem with the bike running, might just not be able to get accurate pressure readings and may get low pressure warning. Probable best to ask a service department.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't know about any differences in tuning required for track tires versus the stock Anakee Scorcher tires, but I do know that retuning was required when changing between the Anakee Wild knobby tires versus the stock Scorcher tires due to the different handling characteristics for ABS and traction control.

·
Registered
'19 Raptor, '22 Pan America Special
7 Posts
The Bike needs to "know" which tires it is on to give out accurate TPMS readings. Countrary to popular belief, the ABS and Traction Control will still work because it uses real-time sensor data to read riding conditions, e.g. to counter wheelspin the front and rear wheel RPMs are compared. There might be minor inaccuracies du to a different outer cirumference but nothing major, and nothing that should give you any issues on a dirt track. Another thing the Harley Techs do is limit your bike's top speed if the anakee wilds are installed because they aren't meant for high speed riding.

If you want to swap between two sets of wheels i'd keep the bike tuned to the street tires officially, as you should be able to ignore wrong pressure readings and probably will have TC and ABS turned off anyways while riding dirt track. This way you can drive safely and legally on the street, get up to highway speeds without any issue, and install the knobbys for proper dirt use. I'm not sure how this looks from the legal perspective, as laws differ between every state and country, but if the bike isn't set up for the tires i'd probably avoid riding them on the street to avoid trouble with the law or your insurance, if that's an option.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The accuracy of the TPMS sensors are not affected by the type of tire installed. The operating tire pressures, however, are lower for the Wilds and the low pressure alarm settings are changed when running those tires. I was with the HD tech as he was making the tuning changes (he invited me back to watch since I was curious), and he explained what changes needed to be made and why. I’ll take his word for it. 😉. Can you get away with not making any tuning changes? Sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The accuracy of the TPMS sensors are not affected by the type of tire installed. The operating tire pressures, however, are lower for the Wilds and the low pressure alarm settings are changed when running those tires. I was with the HD tech as he was making the tuning changes (he invited me back to watch since I was curious), and he explained what changes needed to be made and why. I’ll take his word for it. 😉. Can you get away with not making any tuning changes? Sure.
I thought part of the retuning was limiting the top speed as the Anakee Wilds are a different speed rating. Could be wrong though

·
Registered
141 Posts
I thought part of the retuning was limiting the top speed as the Anakee Wilds are a different speed rating. Could be wrong though
I haven’t tried to speed to see 🧐. During my last ride I got it over 100 quickly when passing on a long hill. I didn’t feel any type of limiter, but my attention was elsewhere. In general, I wouldn’t recommend those types of speeds on the Wilds, although in my case they have been very stable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts