Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing my front tire and everything was going fine until I tried to get the axle back in. I had bike supported on lift and noticed the right fork leg did not line up with left leg. I tried to hold wheel etc in place while pushing down on left fork leg to get axle started but damaged threads. I need to repair threads . Does anyone know what diameter/pitch it is ? Has any one else had this issue with their bike? Thanks

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did order a thread pitch gage and it is a 22mm x 2.0 metric thread. The axle itself is ok . It is the inside diameter threads on left fork leg that are damaged. I ordered a tap and will gently work it through to repair threads. I would just say to be careful when reinstalling axle and have someone help line everything up if possible.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on 1/17/23 front axle. After determining the correct diameter and thread pitch (24mm x 2.0) I ordered a tap from Amazon and it arrived this morning. Ran it in from side of fork that threads were not damaged using plenty of oil and it worked perfectly. Axle threaded in as designed and now all is good.

· Registered
15 Posts
Update on 1/17/23 front axle. After determining the correct diameter and thread pitch (24mm x 2.0) I ordered a tap from Amazon and it arrived this morning. Ran it in from side of fork that threads were not damaged using plenty of oil and it worked perfectly. Axle threaded in as designed and now all is good.
When it’s possible to access good threads from the undamaged side, as in your case, I generally try to reform the threads with a bolt, as opposed to recutting. It’s not always that cut and dried, but when it is practical, the benefit is obvious. Putting material back where it was, as opposed to removing all the displaced metal is the idea. After that, if the end result still shows boogered metal, then I’ll run a tap through it. Sounds like your remedy sorted it out. Found myself grimacing as I read, and exhaling (in relief) at the end. Great job!!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. I tried running bolt in from good side to no avail. I couldn’t find a thread chaser locally or on line in that size so that was reason I used a tap. You’re right though about removing material. I torqued to minimum spec on axle bolt and maximum spec on axle pinch nut. Been riding a couple days and everything good. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts