Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 1month and 1/2 in the shop I might be getting my Pan back, went because it would intermittently stick in fifth gear, and I couldn't shift up or down until the bike came to a complete stop.
Tech found excessive play in the shift rod assembly that sitting under the clutch basket. He also found on of the jitter plates missing from the factory. They finally getting it together but told me that new clutch plates COULDN'T be pre-soaked (normally procedure for most in-oil multiple plate clutches), that their having to run in on the dyno and have the fiber plates soak up oil....
That last part sound odd, granted this is my first HD after 25 different bikes.. Anyone have the service manual to check the clutch installation process?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Bike was in for sticking in fifth gear intermittently. Bike was in for that warranty work. Tech found shift rod folk had excessed play so it was replaced, also Tech found portion of jutter plate missing from Factory. Upon final installation to get bike put together Tech had soaked plates, but made mention that oil was still low, and they suspected the plates had soaked up a few when they checked after running it on the dyno, they added more to bring it up to level on stick. Took if for a road check, but before getting a Oil Light, they shut it down and brought it back into the shop. Oil stilled showed low even when 4.5qrts+ had been added. Also Engine had a knock in the front cylinder now, something new in the equation. They called the mothership for further approval, and got an ok for addition tear down. Looks like a pressure fit plug back out on the left side that sealed a pressured oil path that fed the top of both cylinders. So path of least resistance, it would seem all the oil was being pumped at pressure into the left side crank, thus the low oil on the stick. Earlier Engines have this "Pressed fit plug" later have a threaded plug to prevent this issue. Since bike was sitting at dealer for two months and it would be another xx weeks before I got the bike back, I was well within VA lemon law statue to request all my money back for the bike. Dealer knew this so they offered me a swap at cost on a 2022, so I took it. I could have gotten my money back and bought another ADV, but I'm sticking with this model. It works damn well, when it works.. So I'll put up with the headaches so long my dealer keeps it square. A picture of the shiny bits that shouldn't have been there..
Liquid Drinkware Gear Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: Bike was in for sticking in fifth gear intermittently. Bike was in for that warranty work. Tech found shift rod folk had excessed play so it was replaced, also Tech found portion of jutter plate missing from Factory. Upon final installation to get bike put together Tech had soaked plates, but made mention that oil was still low, and they suspected the plates had soaked up a few when they checked after running it on the dyno, they added more to bring it up to level on stick. Took if for a road check, but before getting a Oil Light, they shut it down and brought it back into the shop. Oil stilled showed low even when 4.5qrts+ had been added. Also Engine had a knock in the front cylinder now, something new in the equation. They called the mothership for further approval, and got an ok for addition tear down. Looks like a pressure fit plug back out on the left side that sealed a pressured oil path that fed the top of both cylinders. So path of least resistance, it would seem all the oil was being pumped at pressure into the left side crank, thus the low oil on the stick. Earlier Engines have this "Pressed fit plug" later have a threaded plug to prevent this issue. Since bike was sitting at dealer for two months and it would be another xx weeks before I got the bike back, I was well within VA lemon law statue to request all my money back for the bike. Dealer knew this so they offered me a swap at cost on a 2022, so I took it. I could have gotten my money back and bought another ADV, but I'm sticking with this model. It works damn well, when it works.. So I'll put up with the headaches so long my dealer keeps it square. A picture of the shiny bits that shouldn't have been there.. View attachment 1426
This sounds like the situation I talked about in my post HEADSUP. Harley needs to issue a recall on all the bikes with the plug!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts