Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost 2K on the bike now and I have to say it's a great bike. I've owned all of the competition and this is a cut above. Mechanically the bike is sound which I'm grateful for. I saw three new bikes with catastrophic problems with one having HD overnight a brand new engine to replace the one that grenaded on the customer. The inside reason was a certain amount of bikes had casting oil passthrough problems during manufacturing. Problem was corrected but not after a few had the failures, I guess that's part of what can happen during manufacturing a new model.
I just had the latest software rev done although it appears the clock STILL isn't keeping time but the phone now will charge and allow you have bluetooth connection with the bike.
I just purchased the auxiliary lighting and decided to install myself since everyone in forums said it's easy and HD wanted 417.00 to install. I'll take my time and get it done since the lights are a big enhancement and needed out here in the AZ desert.

·
Registered
2021 Pan America 1250S
18 Posts
Almost 2K on the bike now and I have to say it's a great bike. I've owned all of the competition and this is a cut above. Mechanically the bike is sound which I'm grateful for. I saw three new bikes with catastrophic problems with one having HD overnight a brand new engine to replace the one that grenaded on the customer. The inside reason was a certain amount of bikes had casting oil passthrough problems during manufacturing. Problem was corrected but not after a few had the failures, I guess that's part of what can happen during manufacturing a new model.
I just had the latest software rev done although it appears the clock STILL isn't keeping time but the phone now will charge and allow you have bluetooth connection with the bike.
I just purchased the auxiliary lighting and decided to install myself since everyone in forums said it's easy and HD wanted 417.00 to install. I'll take my time and get it done since the lights are a big enhancement and needed out here in the AZ desert.
Glad you are liking yours. I love mine, so far, but looking forward to putting way more miles on it over the next several months. What lights did you end up going with? Was there a delay, or supply issue getting them?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I purchased the HD aux lights and had my dealer install them. (ukes HD, Kenosha ,wi) They charged me for 2 hours of labor and discounted both the lights and the wiring install kit. Labor was $220. I'm happy will the total package.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you are liking yours. I love mine, so far, but looking forward to putting way more miles on it over the next several months. What lights did you end up going with? Was there a delay, or supply issue getting them?
I went with the Harley Davidson lights because the performance was really good that I saw installed on other bikes. I’ll be installing them sometime this week I just wanna take my time when I take the tank off not to scratch anything. I’ll let you know the outcome when I’m finished.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I've just hit 5K and i'm starting to get an intermittent oil PSI light with CEL P052300p (oil pressure switch high voltage) and some lack of oil engine noise when initially starting the bike. Oil level is full and its had both its 1k & 5k service. Will be dropping off @ dealer this week. I will say this bike has always had an especially noisy engine when first starting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the first thing that you’ve mentioned is the oil sensor and the oil sensor light has been problematic with some of the bikes that are out there I know that sensors were replaced and there’s been no further issue. As far as the engine noise that’s completely normal with the way the engines built it takes quite a while for the oil to get up to the top and it’s completely normal to have that noise for a period of time until it gets warm and then it should go away mine does the same thing even the sportster S does the same thing.
Just put your mind at ease I have had some insight to these things I mentioned I worked at Harley for quite a while during the release of the Pan America and I know some of the people that were involved in the development of the bike.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Well the first thing that you’ve mentioned is the oil sensor and the oil sensor light has been problematic with some of the bikes that are out there I know that sensors were replaced and there’s been no further issue. As far as the engine noise that’s completely normal with the way the engines built it takes quite a while for the oil to get up to the top and it’s completely normal to have that noise for a period of time until it gets warm and then it should go away mine does the same thing even the sportster S does the same thing.
Just put your mind at ease I have had some insight to these things I mentioned I worked at Harley for quite a while during the release of the Pan America and I know some of the people that were involved in the development of the bike.
Yes I am aware of the start up noise and I too worked as the service manager during the release of the Pan. the last 2 cold starts had me grinding my teeth the upper end noise was much more pronounced. I've almost reached for the kill switch as the noise goes away. I just want some cold start pressure readings, the psi switch swapped out if defective and I will just chalk it up to normal operation as long as I know there is pressure during cold starts. I ride so frequently that if this engine is going to give out I will absolutely find it during the warranty period.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Sounds like a solid plan. Let me know how things go I’m curious to see if they find anything wrong. All the best.
Odds are they wont find anything and they'll throw a switch at it with little to no diagnostics. Bill Harley warranty for everything under the sun and send me on my way haha. I've yet to find a competent dealer for any auto manufacturer. I'll post back when I get some answers in 3-5 weeks lol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Folks,

I have 14K kilometres on mine, done in about 4 months.

I love it but, no matter all the software updates and the 2 services, I still have the issue with the bike switching off randomly while on the move.

I tried recently to get in touch with the European support to see if they had more info on it compared to the ones I got from my local dealer but, so far, nothing new. It's a shame because, overall, the bike is GREAT and I love it. No matter this issue and other small things, I never regret on my decision to get one.
If you still have the same issue, please let me know and if you have any suggestion, I'll be glad to hear from you.

Cheers,
Alberto

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went with the HD auxiliary lights. Last night just before I was ready to remove the tank I figured out a clean way to install without removing the tank. Dealer labor savings 417.00 and 1 he to install really easy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to admit the Dinali lights look really great and I like their switch set up. The only reason I went with the Harley Davidson lights is my girlfriend still works at the dealership where I used to work so the employee discount is substantial.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.