Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back (well yesterday but to naked to post) from a 4 day trip to Moffat in Scotland. Had the misses on the back and fully loaded with luggage. Bike performed perfectly. I throw everything at it from motorways (interstate for our American brethren) to dirt roads.

Day 1. Went from Liverpool up to Elaine’s Tea room for a full cooked. They do great breaky if you haven’t been. From there went up through the Dales to Thwaite, and stopped for a quick brew. From Thwaite headed over to Surprise View, Derwent Water. Took some single lane, steep passes and the bike was just so sure footed I just felt nothing was a problem. From Surprise View headed up through the lakes and took the scenic route to Moffat

Day 2. Had an easy day due to the night before. Meandered my way up from Moffat to Edinburg HD. Had a look round and then headed to The Bikers Cover. If you haven’t had a spicy haggis barm you’re missing out. By this point feeling better so headed west and then meandered back south to Moffat.

Day 3. Dave (hotel owner, GS owner but still top guy) produced a route and copied the GPX file onto the satnav. Was a loop from Moffat to Kielder Forest and back. Had everything from fast flowing A roads to single lane farm tracks and passes. Stopped at Kielder Castle for a brew and decided to do the Kielder Forest Drive. Not the most adventurous of off road sections. But for a slightly portly 50 year old with the misses on the back. It was enough to wet my appitite to do more. Last off road was on a scrap bike in my teens. From there followed the route. Managed to find a Tibetan Temple (how random is that in Scotland) and another stop for a brew. Then back to the Hotel.

Day 4. Meandered from Moffat through the Lake District and back home.

The bike was great at everything. It was 2 up and had just over 25Kg of kit in the panniers and top box, I’ve never had a bike still fun to ride with that load on it. In off road mode it makes a novice off roader with a passenger look like he knows what his doing. Was even hitting 45 mph at some stages. It let’s just enough back brake to get a little loose going into a bend and just enough wheel spin coming out to throw up some dust on the way out. All the time making you feel like it’s looking after you.

The hotel in Moffat is a bikers paradise. Its run by a family of bikers, Dave and his two sons being front of house most of the time. Has bike garages in the beer garden, a shed full of cleaning supplies, compressor and tools if you need them. As their all locals and bikers, or as near as you get owning a GS. They give great advice on local roads and will even plan and program a route into your satnav. Food is fantastic as well. I’m not associated with them but will put a shameless link in for anyone interested.

https://www.buccleucharmshotel.com/

So after my first of many multi day drips on the PAS I couldn’t be happier with the way it performed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great and good to hear everything went fine AND no issues with the PA...... Hopefully I'll be able to report similar findings in the very near future, minus a misses.l :D
It’s OK you can take my misses. I’ll be glad of the piece and quiet.

If I had to criticise the bike and it’s a small one. Was having to do chain maintenance at the hotel. It wasn’t a problem and I really don’t find it to much of a chore. Just not something I’m used to having to do. Speaking to some BMW riders there’s a chain out for them that can do 15000 miles without adjustments or lubrication. Hopefully it will come to the PAS at some point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts