Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen some talk about seat covers and someone has a corbin but that's about it. Some have said factory is comfortable, well mine is too around town/short trips.
I got 2k miles with several rides being long days and 1/2 way thru my butt is feeling it. I'm wondering if factory seat will "break in" and get more comfortable as time/miles pass or should I invest in a different option? Last thing I want is something, that can be avoided/reduced, gets my attention focused on it instead of the ride.
Also, I do have a mustang seat on my RK and can say it's very nice but you still gotta stretch your legs every so often.😁
Just curious on what others have to say on this subject.
Might ride some more tomorrow if butt ain't sore.😁

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you somewhat and that's kinda what I was asking. I'm not a complete pu$$y nor hardcore extremist either. Just saying the factory seat is nice til I sit on it multiple hours at a time.
Just like everything other thing in life, if there's something that'll make it or an item better/easier/etc most, if not all will buy it! So if a seat will let me enjoy the long ride and not my a$$ and without having to live on the seat for it to "get" comfortable, think I'm buying. I do ride as much as possible (more often with new PA)😁 but of course there'll be long stretches between rides.
I did my first SS 1000/24 in July on my RK, boy that was different and glad I can mark that off my list.

Oh do appreciate your input and safe travels/rides. God willing and with his blessings I'll be riding when I'm 71!

·
Registered
2021 Baja Orange / White Pan America Special
80 Posts
Just like opinions, everyone's ass is different 🤣 Bike seats by nature don't have a lot of space to fill to hold people up. From 150 to 300lbs, wide, narrow whatever. I have a Corbin, and they have always been absolutely amazing for me. The Mustang worked really well for my girlfriend. Unfortunately it can be hit and miss... All depends on how you're built and how the support is designed into the seats.
Good luck!
P. S. I hope I'm still riding at 71 too😎🤞

·
Registered
PAS RA1250S Deadwood Green Spokes & ARH
196 Posts
Factory seat is a bit soft, but better than most in terms of comfort. I find the bigger difference is the knee hip angle and for that I find the seat in its higher position makes it more comfortable. I'd love a Corbin seat as they're much more supportive, but would probably make do with the sundowner seat. :cool:

·
Registered
2021 Baja Orange / White Pan America Special
80 Posts
I'm actually a little pissed with HD about the seat. They build an adventure bike. They give it the biggest fuel tank of any bike they build because they know how its going to be used. Then they put on a basic seat, but you can buy their "better" seat as an accessory. How about just out the better seat on as standard instead of the money grab? 🤬

Reactions: MilwDave and FIGJAM

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm actually a little pissed with HD about the seat. They build an adventure bike. They give it the biggest fuel tank of any bike they build because they know how its going to be used. Then they put on a basic seat, but you can buy their "better" seat as an accessory. How about just out the better seat on as standard instead of the money grab?
Never...
Sometimes I would take all that s...t packed and back to the factory with a note about learning respect to the customer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had the bike since July and the downhill slant of the seat is annoying on longer rides. I'm had a dozen bikes of all kinds and generally am not that picky about seats but never felt like I was sliding forward all the time. I bought a Sundowner hoping it would be better but I think its worse. Still slanted forward... and very slippery, so I actually do slide forward! I'm not willing to throw down the money on the Corbin unless I had a chance to try one first. All I want is a flat seat.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had the bike since July and the downhill slant of the seat is annoying on longer rides. I'm had a dozen bikes of all kinds and generally am not that picky about seats but never felt like I was sliding forward all the time. I bought a Sundowner hoping it would be better but I think its worse. Still slanted forward... and very slippery, so I actually do slide forward! I'm not willing to throw down the money on the Corbin unless I had a chance to try one first. All I want is a flat seat.
Oh wow, I was thinking about buying one (sundowner) but might pass now. I to feel like I'm leaning/moving forward and it gets little uncomfortable after several miles(yeah I know, suck it up) and not wanting to spend $$$ on seat that I might not like. However, I will not let seat dictate my riding.✌

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would be nice if local HD dealerships would carry Corbin seats for demo. My PAS is in winter storage at my local dealership. I was able to put a demo sundowner and tall boy seat on it just to sit, not able to ride just yet. Once the bike comes out in April I will be able to demo those seats and make a decision. I would still like to demo a Corbin on it. Maybe mustang will develop aftermarket seats for the PA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm actually a little pissed with HD about the seat. They build an adventure bike. They give it the biggest fuel tank of any bike they build because they know how its going to be used. Then they put on a basic seat, but you can buy their "better" seat as an accessory. How about just out the better seat on as standard instead of the money grab? 🤬
I have not bought a single motorcycle in my life that had a seat that was acceptable for anything but a few hundred miles of riding. There are so many variations of seating position, rider size and materials that I’m glad they leave it to the aftermarket. I’ve never bought the manufacturer’s accessory seat either. In almost every case I end up at Corbin. They take a lot of hits for customer service but they can tailor a seat that fits you and your bike without looking like you plopped a sofa on your bike.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah understand that and there's plenty to choose from, just wish I lived near one of those aftermarket guys so I could "test" drive before plopping down a significant amount of money.

I do have a mustang on my RK and my experience with it, I think I'd buy one for PA but last I looked they dont make one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you have risers on your bike? I feel after I put risers on it allowed me to kick back in the seat more. I really like the look of the sundowner but I do like the grip of the stock seat.. still making the debate on that one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you got experience with them?

As I've stated on another post in here, I got the sundowner and now upto ~250 miles (non-continuous), several miles here and there with stops (commute to work). Again, I haven't sat in it for many miles at one time (that will happen) but gotta say it's quite bit better than stock. Plus i utilized harley coupon and got a pretty good price.
Im thinking from my limited experience with it it's gonna be just fine on the long haul.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So you got experience with them?

Yes, many different seats across many different brands of motorcycle over the years. I have one coming now for my 2022 BMW R1250 RT. As soon as they release the Pan America seat I'll order one. Stock seats are too soft is the real problem, Sargent seats are not soft.

·
Registered
PAS RA1250S Deadwood Green Spokes & ARH
196 Posts
Had a Sargent seat on a VFR Vtec and it was good. I'd say Corbin is still better over the long-term, although they're heavy. I liked the humble super-lightweight Sundowner so much, I've bought the pillion seat too which was £165, you can't beat that for value. Happy wife('s arse), happy life. ☮

·
Registered
43 Posts
Like everything else, I think it depends upon the rider. I haven't had mine that long (3 weeks), but I have put on 1,900 miles in that time. My first ride 2 days after I got the bike was a 420 mile day trip and I was pleasantly surprised that I was at the 140ish miles mark before I started to get a little uncomfortable. So far that seems to be the mark for me, which isn't bad. I've usually ended up with a Corbin on my past bikes, and I likely will here also.... sooner or later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts