Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

I installed the Harley aluminum bags. Everything was straight forward except the left mount was a little bit off. I had to shave a little off and used a pry bar to get it to fit. I ordered them from shoputahharley.com. Saved a couple hundred dollars on the entire order.

bags are heavy duty and spacious. I can fit my HJC XL helmet into the left case. They are wide, 43 inches , end to end. They can hold a ton of stuff. They are easily removable also. I might take them off and use them for trips only. I have a smaller set of soft bags for daily use.

on to the next farkle.

·
Registered
2021 RA1250S
3 Posts
I put the cases on this past weekend. Wasn't happy about having to drill the topcase for the back pad, but it's done. Side cases will probably live on the shelf unless I'm traveling 2-up. Really wish the right case had a cutout for the pipe rather than spacing it further out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think my mileage went down by roughly 5 mpg. Hard bags stick out far and are catching all kinds of wind. I took them off and am waiting to see if mileage goes back up to the 48/49 range.

·
Registered
2021 RA1250S
3 Posts
I think my mileage went down by roughly 5 mpg. Hard bags stick out far and are catching all kinds of wind. I took them off and am waiting to see if mileage goes back up to the 48/49 range.
Yeah, you can really feel it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did 1,626 miles the past 4 days. Mostly in Northern Wisconsin. bags fully packed and cruise control @ 64, the bike was getting a consistent 48-50 mpg. I thought it would be a whole lot lower with those wide bags, but I was wrong.
when I pressed it on the interstate mileage dropped to the lower 40’s. But thats normal when the speed goes up.

Still impressed with the entire package.

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
47 Posts
Nice, I'm waiting on my black ones. I thought I had a question but noticed in side pic (I only see two pics, from rear and side) what cell phone holder you're using as I'm in the market. However, I see it's the X grip from ram mounts? Correct? If so Id recommend getting new/different one. I had that on my RK and luckily had phone on charger too or I would have lost phone. It fell out of holder and wasn't real ruff road and ~40mph and one other time I saw almost out, probably next bump. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, I'm waiting on my black ones. I thought I had a question but noticed in side pic (I only see two pics, from rear and side) what cell phone holder you're using as I'm in the market. However, I see it's the X grip from ram mounts? Correct? If so Id recommend getting new/different one. I had that on my RK and luckily had phone on charger too or I would have lost phone. It fell out of holder and wasn't real ruff road and ~40mph and one other time I saw almost out, probably next bump. Just my two cents.
yes, ram mount X grip is currently on bike. what set-up do you recomend?

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
47 Posts
yes, ram mount X grip is currently on bike. what set-up do you recomend?
I was hoping you had the answer.😁 Cause I am looking right now, just my personal opinion with X,grip and I won't be using or buying another, especially on PA. I pretty sure ram makes a different type/model and do believe buddy has it but need to confirm. Oh guy at work send me a link from "law-abiding biker" he done a review of PA at sturgis (good review) but he sells and of course recommends his holder. Thought bout buying it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put the cases on this past weekend. Wasn't happy about having to drill the topcase for the back pad, but it's done. Side cases will probably live on the shelf unless I'm traveling 2-up. Really wish the right case had a cutout for the pipe rather than spacing it further out.

View attachment 20
How was the install for the top mount bracket for the top case? Easy to do at home, or did you have a dealer install?

·
Registered
1 Posts
How was the install for the top mount bracket for the top case? Easy to do at home, or did you have a dealer install?
I installed the mount and top case myself. It required drilling 4 holes into the bottom plate with a 20 mm bit. I couldn't find the 20mm bit (25/32), so I ended up using the closest SAE size I had,, 12/16. Worked just fine. The holes to-be drilled are pretty clearly identified on the plate, so you don't have to measure them out at all. Other than that, just screwing things into place mainly. Good luck. (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was hoping you had the answer.😁 Cause I am looking right now, just my personal opinion with X,grip and I won't be using or buying another, especially on PA. I pretty sure ram makes a different type/model and do believe buddy has it but need to confirm. Oh guy at work send me a link from "law-abiding biker" he done a review of PA at sturgis (good review) but he sells and of course recommends his holder. Thought bout buying it.
I bought a Quad Lock, but there is no good place to mount it as it is not on a ball and makes the phone useless since it faces my right arm. I am going to put the Quad Lock on my FatBoy and move the caw.car over to the Pan am, The handlebar mounting is much more versatile and it has an articulating ball that allows full rotation to point the face of the phone at me. The CAW does great on the FB, not sure how it would fare off road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts