Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New PAS '22 with 200mi on it. Noticed yesterday that when I idle, the reported ambient temperature climbs quickly. It was about 85F yesterday and it reported as such while moving, but would climb to 110F when idled at a light. Once I got moving again it would slowly drop. Coolant temperature was ~195-200F while riding and would climb to 215-220F when stopped.

Anyone else have this issue or have an idea of why the ambient temperature change is happening? Will this cause any problems for the bike?

p.s. First post. Hi everyone!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Engine temperatures sound about right. But I’ve not noticed the ambient temperature reading change by that much, it’s not something I keep an eye on though.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've noticed the same with the ambient temp but not as extreme as your example. I just assumed it was due to placement of the sensor and the engine heat was affecting when stopped. I think the highest I've seen it climb is about 10 degrees.

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
205 Posts
Not so sure it being from engine heat. (But I have no clue) I say that cause,....was out riding and I stopped for a break and parked bike outta sun best I could, (was a nice sunny day think high 80s, low 90s) and as I was continuing on I noticed temp was triple digits(101/102) but as I rode several miles noticed temp dropped back down to where should be....maybe engine temp did make it raise, I don't know.

I only noticed it that one time and haven't really paid much attention to the ambient temp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don’t think it is an ambient air temp sensor so much as it is the reading of the intake air temp. This makes sense why it goes up when the bike is stopped and it begins to heat soak from the engine heat.

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
275 Posts
I had that several times.
Regular Operation Temperatur seems to be arround 90°C.
But at the Stoplight I had 105°C. But i don't care this should not harm the engine.
...... Only me with hot legs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts