Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, just curious on peoples opinion on which of these two tires (Wilds or Scorchers) you prefer to keep on your pan am. I’m sticking to these two tires because, of course, it’s what Harley sells mainly for these bikes and since it requires a Harley tech to adjust the air pressure and get it calibrated with pressure monitoring systems it seems to be easier to install them.

My bike is my daily rider as long as there is not snow or ice on roads. Ride to work, errands,etc. I had the scorchers on my PAS with cast wheels when I got it. I was fairly happy with these. They were amazing on road tires and I was able to ride dirt and gravel roads without any drama. Though I never had to travel a muddy road. I did suspect if I did things would get interesting. Off road I always felt I was missing out on more fun for not having the wilds. About 7000 miles I got a nail in back, plugged it, and figured it was time to get new tires. I decided I would try the wilds. So now I have the wilds. I’m a dedicated Harley guy ( this is my 6th Harley and first “adventure bike”) so I’m not familiar with running knobbies on heavy bikes on the road. They definitely feel different. They don’t feel planted at highway speeds like I’m used too. Especially on grooved highways. I tend to ride heavy on the throttle and the pan am is a great bike for that. Often while cruising through traffic on the pan am I will check my speed and realize I’m cruising at over 100+ mph. So easy to do on the pan am with the scorchers. Well today I did that on the knoobies……ok, lesson learned! I know the wilds are rated to 100mph. I can cruise comfortable 80 -90 with the wilds. I was trying to get around some semis today and got to 106mph on a grooved highway and got into a very serious high speed wobble. I didn’t fight the wobble just slowly back off the throttle. Man was that an eye opener! I think maybe the pan am is too much bike for the wilds, at least how I tend to like to ride. The wilds have been, as would be expected, great on dirt and gravel roads, but I think I will go back to the scorchers because, i feel if the Scorchers cause me to loose traction and fall in the dirt, one, I will probably be going a lot slower and two, in the dirt if you fal, your less likely to be ran over by a semi. I also probably should have waited on getting the Wilds because I’m leaving this week on about a 2000 mile round trip to the Oregon coast which will be all on road because I’m traveling with a buddy on his road glide. I will definitely know how I feel about them by the end of this trip. I know there are some other brands that may be a better option but I want to keep this discussion about the 2 types of tires that Harley is selling.

So that is my thoughts so far. Which of these 2 tires do you prefer ( if you have one of these two) and why?

·
Registered
141 Posts
So that is my thoughts so far. Which of these 2 tires do you prefer ( if you have one of these two) and why?
It looks like you’ve answered your own question for how you ride. If you’re primarily riding on the road and you ride hard and on the throttle, then knobbies aren’t a good choice.

I ride on gravel and dirt roads 25% of the time, since I live a few miles away from hundreds of miles of forest service roads and national parks. My bike has the Wilds installed, and I’ve found a big difference with how the bike handles gravel and dirt as compared to the stock Scorchers. Much more planted and sure footed and much better traction. And in slick conditions, there’s no comparison. But these things are to be expected. I definitely prefer the Wilds for this type of riding.

I grew up in a town with a motocross track which held the Nationals races and I’ve been riding dirt bikes since I was 8 years old, so riding with aggressively treaded tires is second nature for me. You can’t expect the bike to handle on the road the same way as street tires. You need to be cognizant at all times that you’re running knobbies and adjust your riding habits. That being said, I think the Wilds handle exceptionally well on the road for the type of tires they are. Probably my favorite knobby tire I’ve run on a dual sport bike to-date. They don’t ‘howl’ and ride smooth at speed, and I haven’t experienced any of the wobble you’ve mentioned.

Interestingly enough, my fuel mileage has INCREASED with the Wilds as compared to the Scorchers. This is likely a result of how I adjust my riding habits and throttle accordingly. With the Scorchers my fuel mileage was consistently 46 mpg, and with the Wilds it hasn’t been below 49 mpg.

For how I ride, I’ll stick with riding the Wilds (pun intended). I like going on adventure rides and knowing that with these tires I can take a detour on an unknown unpaved road without the worries of having street tires. That’s why I bought this bike. Riding on pavement is under my control and I can change my riding habits accordingly; riding off-road is more dependent upon your tires. My days of riding like a squid on the road have long since passed, and the Wilds are planted on the road well enough to allow you to have fun in all types of riding.

FWIW, I have two sets of wheels. A set of mags with the Scorchers installed, and a set of laced with the Wilds installed

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have run both. I really like the performance of the Anakee Wilds but the last rear only got me 1,500 miles. Running a lot of pavement to get to where I ride off road with a lot of weight on the bike, loaded for comfortable camping. I too have switched to the Dunlop trailmax mission and believe I have found a nice compromise between great highway performance of the scorcher and really great off road ability of the Anakee. I purchased them through my local HD dealer so mounting and calibrating was not an issue. I have seen the Dunlops get 10K on big ADV bikes that I ride with. No 50/50 tire is going to be really good in mud but I don't think too many people want to take big ADV bikes in too much nasty mud anyway.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have run both. I really like the performance of the Anakee Wilds but the last rear only got me 1,500 miles. Running a lot of pavement to get to where I ride off road with a lot of weight on the bike, loaded for comfortable camping. I too have switched to the Dunlop trailmax mission and believe I have found a nice compromise between great highway performance of the scorcher and really great off road ability of the Anakee. I purchased them through my local HD dealer so mounting and calibrating was not an issue. I have seen the Dunlops get 10K on big ADV bikes that I ride with. No 50/50 tire is going to be really good in mud but I don't think too many people want to take big ADV bikes in too much nasty mud anyway.
Yikes. 1,500 miles is not good. Here’s a shot of mine at 1,130 miles. I don’t load my bike up heavy and where I live the temps are not real hot to heat up the tires on the road.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having worn out a pair of both, the knobby Wilds are more slippery on-road and wear out MUCH faster. The Wilds are predictably much better if you’re spending much/most of your time off road. The Adventure are just fine for dirt roads and moderate, dry trails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts