Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve spotted in the HD online catalog they are listing an alarm siren and a locking fuel cap. Neither of these are listed as standard figment on the Pan America Special.

Alam Siren P/N69000124
locking fuel cap P/N61100188

Could anyone who has picked up the Pan America Special please confirm if these part are fitted as standard. If HD are penny pinching on not fitting a siren then that’s pretty poor form.

Thanks for answers

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve spotted in the HD online catalog they are listing an alarm siren and a locking fuel cap. Neither of these are listed as standard figment on the Pan America Special.

Alam Siren P/N69000124
locking fuel cap P/N61100188

Could anyone who has picked up the Pan America Special please confirm if these part are fitted as standard. If HD are penny pinching on not fitting a siren then that’s pretty poor form.

Thanks for answers
confirmed, the PAS does not come with a locking fuel cap or an alarm siren. If moved without a FOB, lights will flash, but no noise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. Was hoping I was wrong.
I might see if I can get the dealer to fit them as part of the bike build, if I purchase them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
[ wQUOTE="Nimda, post: 226, member: 93"]
I might see if I can get the dealer to fit them as part of the bike build, if I purchase them.
[/QUOTE]
Nimda , with the locking gas cap are you worried that fuel will be stolen or someone would put something in the tank? I always considered them a pain in the ass when fueling up, more so when the temp is cold and I have to take my gloves off. I also had one bike that the fuel cap that would eat keys. Good luck with your new PA!

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
47 Posts
Nimda , with the locking gas cap are you worried that fuel will be stolen or someone would put something in the tank? I always considered them a pain in the ass when fueling up, more so when the temp is cold and I have to take my gloves off. I also had one bike that the fuel cap that would eat keys. Good luck with your new PA!
[/QUOTE]

I understand nimdas point on the penny pinching, however, I agree with RR83 and im perfectly happy NOT having the locking gas cap OR the alarm/siren that would only be annoying to myself or my buddy if he's with me. Wish I could delete panic alarm on my vehicle, talk about waste of money. Anyways, I'm glad it's not on mine and if you want them they're available. Just my opinion nothing else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[/QUOTE]
Hi roadrash83

Im not overly bothered about the locking fuel cap. More surprised it wasn’t fitted as standard when it is on all other manufacturers.

More bothered by the lack of alarm, as this could effect insurance premium each year. The alarm is obviously fitted as all that’s required is a siren and wiring harness to plug it in. HD could fit this as standard to each bike for pennies. It just seams like an accountant trying to up the profit margins and hoping for after sales profit.

From what I’ve read you can fit a cheap after marked siren and it will work. It just requires splicing into the existing loom. Not something I’d recommend or be prepared to do on a CAN Buss bike.

Just my opinion on it and it certainly won’t put me off the bike or detract from the enjoyment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I understand nimdas point on the penny pinching, however, I agree with RR83 and im perfectly happy NOT having the locking gas cap OR the alarm/siren that would only be annoying to myself or my buddy if he's with me. Wish I could delete panic alarm on my vehicle, talk about waste of money. Anyways, I'm glad it's not on mine and if you want them they're available. Just my opinion nothing else.
[/QUOTE]
Hi ODGreenPA

If the alarm works the same way as it does on the Dyna and the Ultra Limited it’s no hassle. In normal use you don’t even know it’s there. It switches off when the fob is near and switches on when it’s not. So not sure how this could be a hassle. I agree about the pannic setting on alarms. The amount of time I set off the alarm on a car I had a few years ago was ridiculous. Keys or coins in my pocket pressing the button.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi ODGreenPA

If the alarm works the same way as it does on the Dyna and the Ultra Limited it’s no hassle. In normal use you don’t even know it’s there. It switches off when the fob is near and switches on when it’s not. So not sure how this could be a hassle. I agree about the pannic setting on alarms. The amount of time I set of the alarm on a car I had a few years ago was ridiculous. Keys or coins in my pocket pressing the button.
[/QUOTE]

Oh ok did not know that bout bike alarm, never had one, I am going off my experiences(same as you) with car alarms, oh just other day, exited car with doors locked but driver door still open and tried to get in passenger door and dang alarm went off, of course fumbled trying to find fob and 10 secs seemed like mins. That's why I say I'm happy without it but I do see and agree (haven't thought bout ins $$) with your comments.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi ODGreenPA

If the alarm works the same way as it does on the Dyna and the Ultra Limited it’s no hassle. In normal use you don’t even know it’s there. It switches off when the fob is near and switches on when it’s not. So not sure how this could be a hassle. I agree about the pannic setting on alarms. The amount of time I set of the alarm on a car I had a few years ago was ridiculous. Keys or coins in my pocket pressing the button.
Oh ok did not know that bout bike alarm, never had one, I am going off my experiences(same as you) with car alarms, oh just other day, exited car with doors locked but driver door still open and tried to get in passenger door and dang alarm went off, of course fumbled trying to find fob and 10 secs seemed like mins. That's why I say I'm happy without it but I do see and agree (haven't thought bout ins $$) with your comments.
[/QUOTE]

and You never set them off when there’s no one around the witness it either.

As I said earlier up the thread It’s not going to diminish the excitement or enjoyment of a new bike. I will be trying to get the dealer to fit it for free as part of the build, if I purchase the parts from them. As with any new bike there’s a load of kit required to make it usable (or just wanted), luggage, lights, radiator cover, headlight cover, etc. If they want me to purchase these from them they can do me a favour.

The fitting instructions for the siren are available online. And there’s nothing difficult or requiring more than a basic set of tools.

How are you finding yours. Any advice for a new owner waiting on a delivery date.

·
Registered
47 Posts

As I said earlier up the thread It’s not going to diminish the excitement or enjoyment of a new bike. I will be trying to get the dealer to fit it for free as part of the build, if I purchase the parts from them. As with any new bike there’s a load of kit required to make it usable (or just wanted), luggage, lights, radiator cover, headlight cover, etc. If they want me to purchase these from them they can do me a favour.

The fitting instructions for the siren are available online. And there’s nothing difficult or requiring more than a basic set of tools.

How are you finding yours. Any advice for a new owner waiting on a delivery date.
[/QUOTE]

With what you've said I could see alarm being somewhat beneficial while out riding on long trips and/or gotta park bike little ways away from where you're camping/staying. So I might consider it in future.
Oh my, my recommendation? I love the bike! But I also haven't had any seat time in any other adv bike manufacturer. I have put 1300+ miles (all pavement) on it less than a month and I've got no issues with bike riding/performance. Seat and windshield is little less than desirable (seem to lean forward a tad but that could be by design) and my crotch seems to get little warmer (hot at times) than on my RK. I say windshield as I get quite a bit buffeting especially at higher speeds😁 and that's probably also due to my height.
Oh not sure if it's me but my right hand seems to get vibration (not excessively) but compared to left (virtually none) so that's annoying.
I think my next item will be the handlebar risers, think I'll benefit from the 2".
Not sure if I answered your question but will add, the wait will be worth it!!
I'm coming from 07 RK and wasn't sure if this was even my kind of a bike but I am very happy/satisfied with the bike! Now to get luggage and explore this vast country!
If after I ride more and something comes up, Ill holler at ya.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

With what you've said I could see alarm being somewhat beneficial while out riding on long trips and/or gotta park bike little ways away from where you're camping/staying. So I might consider it in future.
Oh my, my recommendation? I love the bike! But I also haven't had any seat time in any other adv bike manufacturer. I have put 1300+ miles (all pavement) on it less than a month and I've got no issues with bike riding/performance. Seat and windshield is little less than desirable (seem to lean forward a tad but that could be by design) and my crotch seems to get little warmer (hot at times) than on my RK. I say windshield as I get quite a bit buffeting especially at higher speeds😁 and that's probably also due to my height.
Oh not sure if it's me but my right hand seems to get vibration (not excessively) but compared to left (virtually none) so that's annoying.
I think my next item will be the handlebar risers, think I'll benefit from the 2".
Not sure if I answered your question but will add, the wait will be worth it!!
I'm coming from 07 RK and wasn't sure if this was even my kind of a bike but I am very happy/satisfied with the bike! Now to get luggage and explore this vast country!
If after I ride more and something comes up, Ill holler at ya.
[/QUOTE]
Thank for sharing. Doesn’t sound like there’s anything major or that can’t be sorted with set up or parts. I’ve only had the 2 hour test ride but it seamed to fit quite well. And coming from an unfaired Dyna the wind protection seamed good (all relative as they say)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts