Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

During a trip to lakes the bike displayed the yellow error triangle and the yellow suspension icon stayed lite. Bike is a special with ARH. Looking in the diagnostics I get the error code in the BCM C18104H. This seams to come and go as I’m riding and has no effect on handling, I can still cycle through the ride modes without issue.

The description for the error code is “Front preload piston position circuit shorted to ground/open”.

Has any one had this issue and how long did your dealer take to sort it. My issue is my son turns 21 in a couple of weeks and we have a few days away booked as his birthday present. If HD can not get it fixed is it still rideable with the error.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give.

· Registered
21 Posts
Hi

During a trip to lakes the bike displayed the yellow error triangle and the yellow suspension icon stayed lite. Bike is a special with ARH. Looking in the diagnostics I get the error code in the BCM C18104H. This seams to come and go as I’m riding and has no effect on handling, I can still cycle through the ride modes without issue.

The description for the error code is “Front preload piston position circuit shorted to ground/open”.

Has any one had this issue and how long did your dealer take to sort it. My issue is my son turns 21 in a couple of weeks and we have a few days away booked as his birthday present. If HD can not get it fixed is it still rideable with the error.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give.
I have the same problem and just get shoulder shrugs from my local dealership. The Rev Max tech was going to call HD and see what they said. I haven't heard back.
Mine started after riding it in the rain and now it's on almost all the time. Sometimes the ARH works, or works partially, or the suspension is at full height, or it's at the low level. There's no real consistency with it.
Between this, the radiator hose, and now squealing fuel pump I'm seriously considering selling and going to a gold wing. My HD days are about over.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine appears to ride fine, at full height. When coming to a stop if the error light is on only the rear sits down. If the error light is off then it works as it should. As the error says it’s the front preload pistol sensor that’s gong to ground I’m betting on it’s a wiring loom. Bad connections or worn insulation would explain why it’s intermittent.
Hopefully the tech at your dealer gets it sorted for you. I’ve no faith in the dealer near me. There’s 2 both are the same company and neither can be trusted to oil a chain.

· Registered
68 Posts
I had a similar problem which was fixed under warranty by my Dealer, who replaced the righthand front forkleg. The problem was hard to track down because the error code and the fault cleared itself when the ignition cycled, then recurring at a random time when the bike was ridden again. The root cause was only discovered after a lengthy test ride by the Tech at the Dealer.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a similar problem which was fixed under warranty by my Dealer, who replaced the righthand front forkleg. The problem was hard to track down because the error code and the fault cleared itself when the ignition cycled, then recurring at a random time when the bike was ridden again. The root cause was only discovered after a lengthy test ride by the Tech at the Dealer.
This is exactly what I’m getting. Code clears its self when ignition is cycled. Error could come back in minutes or could be an hour.

Have you got any other details or info an the diagnostics your tech did. As I said earlier. I really don’t have ant faith in the dealers near me v

· Registered
68 Posts
The tech had to resort to pencil and paper to get the code(s) from the bike direct as you have to turn off the ignition to connect the Harley diagnostic machine, which meant that the code was cleared leaving nothing for the machine to read.
After that I believe that U.K. Harley Central was consulted and they then eventually worked out what the problem was, but it took them best part of three weeks. If you would like more info send me a p.m. and I will put you in touch with the tech that sorted it for me.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tech had to resort to pencil and paper to get the code(s) from the bike direct as you have to turn off the ignition to connect the Harley diagnostic machine, which meant that the code was cleared leaving nothing for the machine to read.
After that I believe that U.K. Harley Central was consulted and they then eventually worked out what the problem was, but it took them best part of three weeks. If you would like more info send me a p.m. and I will put you in touch with the tech that sorted it for me.
Thanks a lot. I’ll let the tech know. If and probably when he struggles to scratch his own arse I’ll message you.

Handy your from the Uk as well should make it easer to get the techs to talk to each other.

· Registered
39 Posts
Same.. I'm sure most dealership techs are behind the 8 ball.
I'm 100% sure this is an issue. There is so much in common between all the modern bobs, lows, glides, CVO's etc, and everyone in the stealerships seems to know them back to front. Even the sales people don't know shit about the PA, and especially the PAS extra features. I pretty much had to sell myself the bike. I can only imagine whats going on in the workshop out the back.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm 100% sure this is an issue. There is so much in common between all the modern bobs, lows, glides, CVO's etc, and everyone in the stealerships seems to know them back to front. Even the sales people don't know shit about the PA, and especially the PAS extra features. I pretty much had to sell myself the bike. I can only imagine whats going on in the workshop out the back.
Same here about selling the bike to myself. Sales guy couldn’t tell me the difference between a PA and PAS. Luckily I already knew the difference as a don’t spend £16500 grand without knowing what I’m getting.

As for the error. Been on a run to Matlock today. Round trip of about 140 miles. Error didn’t come back once.

· Registered
21 Posts
Same here about selling the bike to myself. Sales guy couldn’t tell me the difference between a PA and PAS. Luckily I already knew the difference as a don’t spend £16500 grand without knowing what I’m getting.

As for the error. Been on a run to Matlock today. Round trip of about 140 miles. Error didn’t come back once.
I've found myself training new salespeople at my local dealership in the PAS then having dates manager coming up and asking what's going on. I just tell him that I'm training his employee unlike what you did.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update on this issue. 200 mile trip to Scotland on Monday, Tuesday 150 mile riding around Scotland. No issues on either day. Set off for home on Wednesday and within a mile error triangle and suspension icon on. Hazzard Waring lights come on as I pulled over without me pressing the switch. Knowing the error clears after switching the bike off I recorded the screen. This time had the original C181014H code and B226381C. The new error is a fault with the hazard warning light switch. Not sure why HD build enough intelligence into the bike to know the switch has an error, but not enough to know if it’s an error don’t switch them on.

Phoned Manchester HD yesterday and no one available to discuss the error or book the bike in. Got the usual, I’ll get someone to call you back. Still not had a call back from them. I don’t think Manchester HD have ever answered a question on the first call or called back with an answer. Going to chase them again.

· Registered
68 Posts
The C181014H fault code is "Front preload piston position circuit shorted to ground/open" . The remedy was, as I said in an earlier post, to replace the right hand front forkleg. This is now a known fault I believe.
There has been an update/ re-flash for both left and right switchgear modules which may help.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The C181014H fault code is "Front preload piston position circuit shorted to ground/open" . The remedy was, as I said in an earlier post, to replace the right hand front forkleg. This is now a known fault I believe.
There has been an update/ re-flash for both left and right switchgear modules which may help.
I’ve now managed to get through to the dealer. The dealer principle recons they’ve had no one in for two days in the service department (bollocks was my answer). I did mention that I’ve spoken with people online with the exact same issue, and what the fix was. I’ll just have to see what they come up with. Bikes booked in for Tuesday.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on this. Dealer has spent a week trying to replicate the error but been unable. They did log a call with HD tech and they’ve agreed it needs a new right fork leg. So bikes back home as it’s rideable. Just waiting to find out the expected time to get the fork leg in. So atleast i can ride the bike and the issue will get fixed.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like HD are finally listening to customers. From what the dealer said they couldn’t find any evidence of the code ever being logged. I did offer to show them a video of the screen with the error, but they said no need to.

· Registered
116 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm 6.56 (2 mt.) tall and I am glad I got a PAS without ARH. One thing less that might cause problems on our lovely machines.

As usual, I hope HD will be able to come out with software solutions to reduce down to the minimum these random errors fired, from time to time, on the diagnostics.

Cheers,
Alberto

1 - 20 of 20 Posts