Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is recommended to oil the chain every 600 miles.
I do it more often and i found out that the oil/grease ends up behind the plastic cover on the front sprocket.
When i removed the plastic cover the build up of dirt/grease/sand/leaves was so thick that the chain run trough it and never stayed clean.
A good practice is to remove the 3 screws and the plastic cover and clean out the dirt every time you oil and clean the chain, especially if you go off-road a lot.
Thanx for creating this forum.
Stay safe!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Plant
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is recommended to oil the chain every 600 miles.
I do it more often and i found out that the oil/grease ends up behind the plastic cover on the front sprocket.
When i removed the plastic cover the build up of dirt/grease/sand/leaves was so thick that the chain run trough it and never stayed clean.
A good practice is to remove the 3 screws and the plastic cover and clean out the dirt every time you oil and clean the chain, especially if you go off-road a lot.
Thanx for creating this forum.
Stay safe! View attachment 843 View attachment 844 View attachment 845 View attachment 846
Thanks for the heads up @powerwagon4me and welcome to the forum! How often do you take the Pan America off road compared to on road?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plus 1!☝

I would also like to know, how them bottle holders are fastened/connected to the panniers? I like! I.e did you haveta drill holes and use screws/bolts or ???.
Thanks.
Purchased from SW.Motech.US, same company that make our panniers, you have to drill four 5,5 mm holes and deburr them, they rattle a bit at speed, i had to put gorilla duck tape on the mating side, that made them tight and they do not move around.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up @powerwagon4me and welcome to the forum! How often do you take the Pan America off road compared to on road?
I am installing new spoked rims and knobby tires next week, so then i will be doing more off-road, now i am doing 20% off-road or gravel roads around my neighborhood.

·
Registered
2022 Pan America Special
85 Posts
I just got my PAS a week ago this past Saturday. Loving it. I haven't had a bike with a chain since my first bike back in 1978. What is a good cleaning solution and chain lube?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my PAS a week ago this past Saturday. Loving it. I haven't had a bike with a chain since my first bike back in 1978. What is a good cleaning solution and chain lube?
In over 70,000km of chain cleaning and lubing on my old V-Strom I found that Motul lube and cleaner were the best by a long shot. They have 2 types of lube: one for street use and one for off road. The off road doesn't stick to the chain as much and as such won't let crud stick to the chain. The road use stuff clings better and lasts longer when on paved roads.
My use was about 25% dirt and 75% street. I would use the off road stuff once a day when on dirt and I'd clean and lube about every 1000 to 1200 km otherwise.
If I was on a long multi-day ride I wouldn't concern myself with cleaning the chain until I got home.
In the 70,000 + km I put on the 'Strom I put on 1 set of sprockets and 2 chains. When I traded the bike in the sprockets and chain were still good for another 15,000 or so km.
That being said, the longevity of the drive train would definitely be affected by the low power output of the 650... and by the less than full send attack this aging body is able to deliver.
If and when I end up with a PA, Motul will be the lube and cleaner of choice for me. It's not the cheapest, but it's performance does impress me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.