Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not in a position to offer tech advice on adjusting the clutch apart from the manual and taking it to you dealer, but I do have some questions if you don't mind elaborating.

Can you describe in some more detail what the bike did when you felt the clutch slipping? Is it anything like limp-mode? I've experienced that after a few hours of hard highway riding -it required a cool-down and a restart to get out of limp-mode. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the bike otherwise. The difference being low-rev vs. the high rev and low power output I would associate with a slipping clutch.

In your case, did you smell or hear the clutch slipping/burning? How long did it the condition persist and has your dealer weighed in yet?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I also had this problem right off the dealer lot but also knew the clutch was out of adjustment the moment I pulled out of the parking lot. Clutch didn't engage until almost full release of the lever. Just adjust the cable knob right at the lever into a natural position and hopefully that will have you fixed right up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could u please post a link to that online service manual?
Just go to the H-D app and you should find your bike listed. Select the bike and you should see manuals. The operators manual is free, the interactive service manual has a fee. Attached is a procedure posted on one of the PAS websites

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Riding 2 up on the road, hit 4/5 shift and got after it, clutch immediately started slipping. Anyone have the adjustment procedures?
Have you looked at the fine adjustment on the handlebar, it need to release the clutch completely and should be set to 1 mm out. I have the local hd shop adjust mine and the bike slipped the clutch and after four times of them adjusting it, and now a complete replacement of the clutch. I believe that they are over tighting it and it not allowing to clutch to completely release causing a lot of wear and trash into the oil. The cable sure seamed to have a bunch of movement on mine, and is being replaced this week, as I was out of adjustment with it and it would appear that the shop or owner manual doesn't have enough information on it to get this done correctly even at the dealership. I guess it is 1st year ownership problems with a new model. I would like to thank Harley Davidson for stepping up and taking care of it, but wish they would provide a bit more information on adjusting it correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts