Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to get some opinions on what you guys would do, back story I bought a cpo 22 pan America back in October from a dealer over an hour from me. The bike had 2200 miles on it when I got it. the previous owner had the first service done around 800 miles and the dealer put 60w hd non synthetic oil in it per the invoice in the system history. I found this out from my local dealer who I just had my quick shifter flashed and he looked through the history on the bike and told me to get the oil changed asap. I contacted the dealer that I bought the bike from (same dealer who did the first service) and I'm waiting to hear back from the manager on it. I'm worried about damage done from too heavy of an oil which may not show up right now but could in the future since the bike is supposed to have 15w50 full syn oil in it. bike currently has 2800 miles on it. I live in NC so the temps aren't that cold here and i don't really ride below 45* because I don't have the correct gear currently.

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
100 Posts
A major portion of the bikes I've owned over the years were not "factory new". That said, I adopted a policy my grandfather who collected classic cars drilled into my head......"You never know what the last jack-wagon did, or if he did it right. Fresh fluid never hurt anything and it is cheap insurance."
Obviously, years later with the development of synthetic oils and now with HD going to a single fluid, it really does make sense to just change it up front. Do i think any damage was done? Highly doubtful.
It's yours now. Roll how you roll. Most importantly, enjoy it.

· Registered
4 Posts
I just wanted to get some opinions on what you guys would do, back story I bought a cpo 22 pan America back in October from a dealer over an hour from me. The bike had 2200 miles on it when I got it. the previous owner had the first service done around 800 miles and the dealer put 60w hd non synthetic oil in it per the invoice in the system history. I found this out from my local dealer who I just had my quick shifter flashed and he looked through the history on the bike and told me to get the oil changed asap. I contacted the dealer that I bought the bike from (same dealer who did the first service) and I'm waiting to hear back from the manager on it. I'm worried about damage done from too heavy of an oil which may not show up right now but could in the future since the bike is supposed to have 15w50 full syn oil in it. bike currently has 2800 miles on it. I live in NC so the temps aren't that cold here and i don't really ride below 45* because I don't have the correct gear currently.
1- Don't freak out.
2- Dash to the local auto parts store and buy your favorite flavor of motorcycle oil.
3- Change the oil.
4 -If the filter was changed before, no need to change it again.

Congratulations on a wonderful motorcycle, and IMO, haggling the dealership over some oil is not worth your time and effort when in less time and frustration you can do it yourself.

Enjoy that Pan American!
AF

· Registered
2022 Pan America 1250 Special
45 Posts
The manual calls for 20W-50 for most riding conditions. There is not much difference between that and something that ends in 60. I see no reason to worry and it's highly unlikely that there is any damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts