Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All; new poster here. So, the Pan America Special I bought in May has been performing flawlessly. I’ve been having so much fun on her that I can’t even describe it. Fast forward to now, I go into the dealership for a set of Anakee Wild tires and a 1K service. Dealer tells me there were several ECM/BCM updates to be done prior to the tire update. I thought it was kinda strange that the tech set up the diagnostic rig and then wandered off. So at some point I’m out in the showroom talking to one of the guys, when a service guy comes out to tell me they aren’t sure how, but somehow they had crashed the update and bricked my bike. Dead as a doornail. Further, they had been on the phone with Harley getting support for the update, and now they couldn’t reach anybody at Harley either. I was all set to head to the Massachusetts woods to try out the new tires, and instead went home empty-handed. They don’t know what to do and have to wait until Tuesday to talk to Harley (Since the dealership is annoyingly closed on Mondays).

So my question is essentially, has anyone had this happen to his/her PA yet? If so, what was done to recover it? I’m not feeling confident that these guys can handle the PA properly.

I apologize profusely if this has been covered. I did search the forums before posting and didn’t see this particular issue.

· Registered
37 Posts
My BCM fried within 110 miles, bricking the bike....but didn't need dealership help to do so.
The fix was to warranty replace the BCM...after pinning out the harness to confirm under the guidance of HD corporate.

· Registered
44 Posts
Be aware that a lot of HD Dealers dont know what they are doing on the PAS. As a auto tech my guess is the module that crashed was either a bad one or they lost power while programing or the connection got interrupted. Ive programed a lot of vehicles and if one of the two i just mentioned happens you can brick a module. Ive had several repairs to my PAS and they always have to call HD on it.

· Registered
37 Posts
Be aware that a lot of HD Dealers dont know what they are doing on the PAS. As a auto tech my guess is the module that crashed was either a bad one or they lost power while programing or the connection got interrupted. Ive programed a lot of vehicles and if one of the two i just mentioned happens you can brick a module. Ive had several repairs to my PAS and they always have to call HD on it.
I’m a heavy equipment tech and work for the Caterpillar dealer. I’m flashing ecms updating the software sometimes daily. I agree completely either lost power, lost connection, or maybe a corrupted file. It’s an easy process so not sure what the HD dealers problem is. Easy money for the tech. You would think these guys would want to get good @ working on the PA’s. I like working on the latest and greatest and being good @ it. Maybe it’s just me though.

· Registered
44 Posts
I hear you drifter. i have updated my software on the IM myself. Anyone can go to the site and load the latest BCM and such. After i got my bike back home from the dealer i checked the software and sure enough when they installed the new IMU they did not update it so i did. Its easy on the bike you just buy an adapter from USB C to B and an empty usb memory card.
Hope this helps you ZXJockey.

· Registered
2022 Pan America 1250 Special
45 Posts
I hear you drifter. i have updated my software on the IM myself. Anyone can go to the site and load the latest BCM and such. After i got my bike back home from the dealer i checked the software and sure enough when they installed the new IMU they did not update it so i did. Its easy on the bike you just buy an adapter from USB C to B and an empty usb memory card.
Hope this helps you ZXJockey.
You can only update the "InfoTainment" firmware with a USB-C drive. The other ECUs require the Harley Digital Technician tools and software.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi All; new poster here. So, the Pan America Special I bought in May has been performing flawlessly. I’ve been having so much fun on her that I can’t even describe it. Fast forward to now, I go into the dealership for a set of Anakee Wild tires and a 1K service. Dealer tells me there were several ECM/BCM updates to be done prior to the tire update. I thought it was kinda strange that the tech set up the diagnostic rig and then wandered off. So at some point I’m out in the showroom talking to one of the guys, when a service guy comes out to tell me they aren’t sure how, but somehow they had crashed the update and bricked my bike. Dead as a doornail. Further, they had been on the phone with Harley getting support for the update, and now they couldn’t reach anybody at Harley either. I was all set to head to the Massachusetts woods to try out the new tires, and instead went home empty-handed. They don’t know what to do and have to wait until Tuesday to talk to Harley (Since the dealership is annoyingly closed on Mondays).

So my question is essentially, has anyone had this happen to his/her PA yet? If so, what was done to recover it? I’m not feeling confident that these guys can handle the PA properly.

I apologize profusely if this has been covered. I did search the forums before posting and didn’t see this particular issue.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I sat at the dealership for about 2 hours while they figured it out. My heart sank to the floor cause I thought it was going to be permanent. My dealership got a hold of a tech at the "Motor Co" and they figured it out. 1. It was something about making sure there little black box had the proper power cord attached and 2. The dealership techs were not leaving the bike enough time to write the code to the BCM. Within minutes my Pan Am was back to life and ran fine.

I would advise calling the dealership and telling them Motor Co techs know of a fix for this. Or they can call Gina the service manager at Tecumseh HD (Tecumseh Mich) as she knows how to fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts