Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it has been my extreme misfortune of having not 1 but 2 engine cooling system breakdowns. First being in Las Vegas (thanks to Henderson HD for getting me back on the road) due to the radiator hose being melted by the exhaust. The 2nd breakdown "could of" been prevented had I installed a radiator shield, I suspect I picked up a BFR (big effin rock) in my radiator. I noticed the bike was running a bit warmer in the evening, about 186 degrees, but saw temps creep up to 200 and 205 so luckily I was already keeping my eye on the system (also has made me move the diagnostic widget to the top left corner on the display). Quote from Harley for the repair is $820.

tl;dr. Radiator got punctured, it'll be $820 to fix it. Buy a radiator shield. You can find shields for under $100. Spend the money, to save you more money.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well it has been my extreme misfortune of having not 1 but 2 engine cooling system breakdowns. First being in Las Vegas (thanks to Henderson HD for getting me back on the road) due to the radiator hose being melted by the exhaust. The 2nd breakdown "could of" been prevented had I installed a radiator shield, I suspect I picked up a BFR (big effin rock) in my radiator. I noticed the bike was running a bit warmer in the evening, about 186 degrees, but saw temps creep up to 200 and 205 so luckily I was already keeping my eye on the system (also has made me move the diagnostic widget to the top left corner on the display). Quote from Harley for the repair is $820.

tl;dr. Radiator got punctured, it'll be $820 to fix it. Buy a radiator shield. You can find shields for under $300. Spend the money, to save you more money.
Mine always runs between 195 - 225 (depending upon if riding on the open road or in town), so I wouldn't say 200 - 205 is abnormal. I don't live in a hot part of the country. Agreed on the radiator guard, it was one of the first bolt-ons I got.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't say 200 - 205 is abnormal.
Under normal conditions for Texas and how I ride Ive only seen it go above 200 when im idling at a light, so all I was saying with that was if I hadn't noticed the temps earlier I easily could of easily done more damage to the bike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Luckily the aftermarket is starting to try to catch up with the pan america. This is the one I bought off of Amazon if you're not trying to spend Harley-Davidson money haha

BAIONE Radiator Grille Guard... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LHJ7ZCR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Saw this one on Amazon as well, I ended up getting a repop from Aliexpress. I'll install it once I get the bike back from the shop, hopefully Friday this week

·
Registered
152 Posts
To be honest, I've only ordered the headlamp guard from a store on there and its very similar to Harley's at a fraction of the cost. Ordered the radiator guard from the same dealer.
I have the head light guard and radiator cover from Ali express. I’m pretty sure both are from the same factory as the genuine HD parts. If not there direct copies and of the same quality.

·
Registered
2021 Baja Orange / White Pan America Special
117 Posts
Yikes, sorry to hear that... I also got the one from AliExpress. I think it was $32 and the only difference I could see was that it didn't have the Bar and Shield emblem in the middle. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Fit perfectly, same gauge material as the HD one... For $167 less (Canadian)...

Reactions: Nimda

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yikes, sorry to hear that... I also got the one from AliExpress. I think it was $32 and the only difference I could see was that it didn't have the Bar and Shield emblem in the middle. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Fit perfectly, same gauge material as the HD one... For $167 less (Canadian)...
That’s was my finding as well. I even used the HD instructions to fit the head light guard as the Ali express one doesn’t come with fitting instruction. Exactly the same parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts