Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Raptor, '22 Pan America Special
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, i'm Dom, and just joined the forums.

I'm 29 years young and live in upper franconia in germany - next to the border to former eastern germany and the czech republic.
Took delivery of my vivid black Pan America Special in June 22, after waiting 5 Months due to the worldwide production and delivery stop, but it was worth it.
She's also my first own bike, but i figured since 90% of riders end up on an ADV sooner or later anyways, i might as well start out on one and skip the entire café racer/naked bike/suportsports phase most young riders tend to go through. I've been on dirt bikes for a couple of years though, and frequently rented a bike out for a weekend trip for the last seven years.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

I went for the all-black look because it looks the most harley to me, got the radiator guard and exhaust crash bar fitted right at the start, better have them before i need them. For luggage i went for the HD Sport Packs as they are super easy to remove and i'd rather ride the bike naked than with aluminium boxes when i go seriously off road. Only complaint i have so far is that my right side tank pad fell off after the first ride and letting it sit in the hot sun for an hour - the left side pad which was in the shade is still on the bike with no issues. Anyone got some good aftermarket pads they'd like to recommend, that stick a bit better?

·
Registered
'19 Raptor, '22 Pan America Special
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. I have heard problems with the aftermarket (E-bay) pads falling, but not the HD ones. Any chance that side of the tank not clean enough?
Thank you :)
The Tank was definitely very clean - i just picked the bike up and slapped the tank pads on before the bike even rolled out of the dealership. Maybe there was some sort of cleaning Agent or Lubrication from the assembly still on. I'll just ask my dealer to try and glue one on at the 1000mi service, maybe we'll have more luck then.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi @TheDom,

about the pads, I heard others got issues when applying "Chinese" pads on. It looks like the adhesive is the issue there. Maybe you might ask someone who's working with stickers to get a list of the products you might use to let the pads stick on for years.

When I applied the original ones, I asked a pro about it and he told me the adhesive from the factory is quite good but, if they will drop, you still have the chance to put them back on using a different, more sticky chemical.

The Pro told me that it's weird the pads are without a rubber transparent water protection on the side, he suggested to dry the top sides of the pads with an air blower every time the bike is washed.

Hope this helps you,
Alberto

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, about the pads, it's best to clean the surface with an isopropyl alcohol wipe before application. This ensures a clean and grease free surface for the adhesive to stick to. Even the grease from your fingers can affect how well they stick!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi, about the pads, it's best to clean the surface with an isopropyl alcohol wipe before application. This ensures a clean and grease free surface for the adhesive to stick to. Even the grease from your fingers can affect how well they stick!
Even the temperature of the surface is important, it has to be above 16 Celsius (60F).

Rectangle Font Technology Parallel Screenshot

Alberto

1 - 10 of 10 Posts