Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased new 1250S Nov 2021, two factory recalls and 7 trips to dealer for numerous problems. Still experiencing problems with engine cutting out, so time for change before residual values take a hit.
Having owned many motorcycles I have to say the Pan America has been the most unreliable motorcycle I’ve ever owned, Harley need to get a grip, otherwise future for this model looks difficult!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Purchased new 1250S Nov 2021, two factory recalls and 7 trips to dealer for numerous problems. Still experiencing problems with engine cutting out, so time for change before residual values take a hit.
Having owned many motorcycles I have to say the Pan America has been the most unreliable motorcycle I’ve ever owned, Harley need to get a grip, otherwise future for this model looks difficult!
Sorry to hear about all your difficulties and hope you find a bike that treats you better. It’s puzzling how some people have constant issues with the PA, and others don’t.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unfortunately I belong in the "multiple dealer trips to fix it" camp and also agree that it's been the most unreliable bike I've owned. Heck, the Kawasaki H2 SX blah-blah I have has 13000 miles on it, has been flawless, and is comparable in complexity IMO to the PAS..and with a supercharged motor.
Packing (nervously) for the first road trip on the PAS...first time I've had to find room for tie-down straps just in case....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just like everything else you read on the internet, the bad news tends to prevail. From my experience most people are issue free with their Pan Americas.
I agree, the internet is a jaded lens and on a 'per capita' basis there's way more riders out there having little to no issues so they're not coming to the internet to vent. But that's why I say 'its when' ... there's gotta be a mathematical explanation that says 'this % of owners had this large number of issues in the first ~500~ miles that rendered the bike unrideable, this trend has to continue upwards as the bikes get more miles'.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree, the internet is a jaded lens and on a 'per capita' basis there's way more riders out there having little to no issues so they're not coming to the internet to vent. But that's why I say 'its when' ... there's gotta be a mathematical explanation that says 'this % of owners had this large number of issues in the first ~500~ miles that rendered the bike unrideable, this trend has to continue upwards as the bikes get more miles'.
There’s a lot of bikes out there…. Find one where you’re happy and worry free :)

·
Registered
PAS '21 ARH / V&H muffler
4 Posts
I don't know much about other bikes, but I must say that PAS in comparison to my first bike 2003 HD Electra Ultra Classic is total game changer 😂 So, does the PAS have its flaws? Yes, definitely! Does the PAS make you sometime worried before you go? Sure, sometimes! Does the PAS place a wide smilie under you helmet once riding PAS thru country? Hell, yes! The PAS is a piece of machinery that helped a lot to get the HD company out of the graveman's shovel, in my opinion, unfortunately it is still a newcomer and it has some stupid mistakes that makes our sleep uncomfortable sometimes, and I am glad for webs like this one! If that is too much for you hand your PAS over and buy any of many other similar bikes (just disclaimer from my much more bike experienced friend, stay away also from Ducati, KTM, Triumph, Honda, Kawasaki... 😂

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Pan is working perfectly. Only had a problem with a software update that was impossible I dont want to update software to last version until it get checked for some time, but dealer connected the bike to the net and...And the the rear seat assy. campaing. .Im very happy with my Pan (the navigation software still is a trash, but my smartphone and my Garmin XT are working perfectly without the bike link working).

Usually have two or three bikes in my stable at time. I had a 96 C.I Electra, and I had problems with the starter spring, with the hydraulic lifters, rear fender fit aasy, fairing fit assy, front and rear brake reservoir rubber and cover. and the Electra of that year is considered a very reliable bike. I dont think so...

I had 3 KTM, 1290, 690 and 790 bought new. 1299 had some electronics problems until the battery was changed and all was perfect since...
690 the clutch actuator issue everybody know...
790 was perfect (second production year)..

And so with my BMWs...the worst and less reliable bike maker : GSA (brakes and cardan) , RT electrical gremling an a grenade engine with distribution broke), and LTs (again electricals and brake failure).

All bikes with problems except a new AT 1100 DCT that was perfect since day one.

Enviado desde mi SM-N986B mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
300 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your problems.
Since I was at the dealer and got new update for my PAS it runs perfect.
May be your can change the pas to a other pas at your dealer.
It seems that in your bike has a bad carma 😂.
Fingers crossed for a good solution for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I feel your pain. my 22' PanAm S is an amazing motorcycle and everything I need in a motorcycle but.. it takes 2 to 3 times before it cranks and it sounds like the roar you would hear walking into a factory with a lot machinery running on curves. My dealership Tifton Harley Davidson Ga. claims they hear nothing and say all the PanAm's are having the starting problems...very frustrating!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
One of the issues I haven't had is anything starting related. Never any hesitation...punch the button once and done. Nothing unusual about the sound either.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi @DJA,

Ask them to replace the BCM and the right control unit on the handlebar, where the main switch is... After replacing these two important parts, the bike switched off only once in more than 3K kilometres.

The bike, overall, is not reliable... and, as you said, it's a shame because, when working well, it's amazing!!!

Take care,
Alberto

1 - 13 of 13 Posts