Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

Error Codes

25K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  Kenneth 
#1 ·
Anyone else getting the error codes P110000C, P179200C, and C110000C? I know what they are and the P179 clears every time after the bike is running for a few miles and the 1100 codes reset every time you restart the engine but not while you are riding. I have taken it back to the dealership and ran the latest updates. The codes cleared for a couple of days but are back in again. The P179 locks the VVT so it acts like it is in rain mode. The dealership is more than willing to take the bike back in and do more diagnostics on the bike but I am really enjoying riding it. Just wanted to share to see if anyone else had this problem and how it was resolved.

#3 ·
Hi Tim, having the same faults . everything ok during brake in then these.
P110000 572 ABS/EHCU indicates torque control fault Serial Data → NO VEHICLE POWER OR LOST COMMUNICATION DTCS
P179000 842 VVT control solenoid front exhaust circuit open Engine Management → VVT DIAGNOSTIC
P179700 847 VVT control solenoid rear intake circuit shorted to ground Engine Management → VVT DIAGNOSTICS
P180000 848 VVT control solenoid rear exhaust circuit open Engine Management → VVT DIAGNOSTICS
C110000 595 Traction control fault indicated by ECM/VSC ABS → IMU DIAGNOSTICS
B217511 823 VVT power circuit shorted ground Engine Management → VVT DIAGNOSTICS
Notified dealer & before 1k service, new update applied & all faults removed. Bike taken on test ride by tech only 200ft before all the same codes came back, now waiting on Harley to reply to techs email.
Has yours been resolved yet?

#4 ·
Hi Tim, having the same faults . everything ok during brake in then these.
P110000 572 ABS/EHCU indicates torque control fault Serial Data → NO VEHICLE POWER OR LOST COMMUNICATION DTCS
P179000 842 VVT control solenoid front exhaust circuit open Engine Management → VVT DIAGNOSTIC
P179700 847 VVT control solenoid rear intake circuit shorted to ground Engine Management → VVT DIAGNOSTICS
P180000 848 VVT control solenoid rear exhaust circuit open Engine Management → VVT DIAGNOSTICS
C110000 595 Traction control fault indicated by ECM/VSC ABS → IMU DIAGNOSTICS
B217511 823 VVT power circuit shorted ground Engine Management → VVT DIAGNOSTICS
Notified dealer & before 1k service, new update applied & all faults removed. Bike taken on test ride by tech only 200ft before all the same codes came back, now waiting on Harley to reply to techs email.
Has yours been resolved yet?
Nope, they ran all the latest updates on it and like your they all came back in before I left the dealership. I rode it all day in the rain yesterday and that seem to make it worse. The P179700 847 would usually come in and then reset and stay reset. But in the rain I never could get it reset. I have another appointment on Tuesday to get it checked again. The tech said he was going to call HD once my bike was back in. Will let you know if they find anything.

#8 ·
I have the same 3 codes, after 3 weeks in the shop and a new wiring harness a 25 mile ride it went into limp mode. I guess it is back to the shop. Before there was about 9 codes so I guess we are getting somewhere.
I hope to ride soon owned it about 6 weeks been in the shop 3 of them weeks, I know it will be fixed just missed riding Tellico Plains because of being in the shop. I live here so I can ride more when it is fixed.
Need to go to Florida but not in limp mode.

#12 ·
Mike,
The HD tech recommended the same fix for my bike. So, they are sending a wiring harness to the dealership to change it out. I mentioned your situation and they said that they have had several situations with the harness and that is the first step to correcting the problems. I am thinking they are parts changing until it doesn't happen anymore. Will update you when it is corrected.

#14 ·
All,
Have finally got resolution to the error codes. It was one of the wires going to the VVT. It was on the front cylinder where it had rubbed the insulation off the wire. Once the tech pulled the small harness out you could see the bare wire. It was touching on the head and giving the error code. The harness has been replaced and after several hundred miles all is good. Hope this helps.

#27 ·
Well two months on and not sorted yet, called in on the dealer Saturday. They have received the two solinoid cables but not the engine harness, hopefully this month. If not they will dismantle a new pan standard for the cable. So I understand it's a batch of cables, as all theses are barcoded. Tech informed me of cables that have been stretched to the point only a single strand of wire is left. Been a f__kup since I ordered the bike in late April 2021, bike arrived late July without the ordered ARH then this one late October. Dealer had it more than me now. Love the bike well the four hour demo I had was great, was expecting the same from my own bike. At least it looks like it will be fixed going by you guys. Will report when sorted ,cheers PS live in the UK can't get bikes can't get parts ? What a shit hole!!💩

#29 ·
Just went on my first longer ride (1000 miles over the weekend) on the new 2022 Pan Am Special I bought in January. Apparently Harley has not corrected this issue for the 2022 model year. I was going into limp mode and popping off codes all the time. Stopped at a couple of Harley Dealerships and nobody knew anything. The Harley Store in Henderson Nevada sent out a service writer to pull it into the shop to scan it and clear codes, the guy literally did not know how to start the bike. He spent a couple of minutes looking for the key switch so I wondered over to show him how a Pan Am starts. So much for training on new bikes. Then ended up in Yuma at Bobby's Territorial HD and they were very helpful, they dumped all the software and install from scratch everything along with updates, The owner had his techs stay late on a saturday evening to get the job done. they test drove it for 20 minutes, but the next morning the issue raised its head again, Anyway, at one point I had 15 different codes active. All the codes listed in the above thread plus a couple of new ones that may be exclusive to 2022's. Pretty demoralizing. Sending to the shop to see what my dealer can do. If they come up with corrections I will post what they did

#31 ·
If you want to do it on the fly, you open the diagnostic screen and scroll to the ECU or BCU or whatever you want to monitor, But stay in the diagnostic screen when you start it and it will stay there. When you are driving and you get a error code you can press the right button then the green reset button and it will reset while driving. Its the only way I was able to limp it in

#33 ·
Currently in this same boat. 2022 PAS 5,9XX miles. Bike went into limp home mode during rush hour traffic in Dallas. Tried to reset, did a visual inspection and my hunch is the solenoid has gone bad (two days in the shop, and you'd figure they'd of called for a busted wire by now)

Error codes
P011900C - ECT sensor circuit intermittent
P011B00C - ECT-IAT sensor correlation error
P179500C/P - VVT control solenoid rear intake circuit open (went from a C to a P after reset)
U228700H - Invalid data from BCM
B231156H - ABS/ECM ride mode configuration invalid (in road mode when limp home mode activated)

Curious to see if the 975 nightster engine uses the same solenoids/VVT or if they were updated. I also feel the harnesses on these bikes is too short especially on mine around the radiator fan.

#36 ·
Currently in this same boat. 2022 PAS 5,9XX miles. Bike went into limp home mode during rush hour traffic in Dallas. Tried to reset, did a visual inspection and my hunch is the solenoid has gone bad (two days in the shop, and you'd figure they'd of called for a busted wire by now)

Error codes
P011900C - ECT sensor circuit intermittent
P011B00C - ECT-IAT sensor correlation error
P179500C/P - VVT control solenoid rear intake circuit open (went from a C to a P after reset)
U228700H - Invalid data from BCM
B231156H - ABS/ECM ride mode configuration invalid (in road mode when limp home mode activated)

Curious to see if the 975 nightster engine uses the same solenoids/VVT or if they were updated. I also feel the harnesses on these bikes is too short especially on mine around the radiator fan.

'22 Nightster owner here. I had my bike 2 weeks before it started going into limp mode. I've had P179500C and C110468C off and on for the last couple of months and have spent over 2 weeks at the dealership so far.

#34 ·
2022 Pan America Special, 750 miles

2nd time in shop, both went into limp mode, codes:

P179000P
P001200H
P110000H
July, 2022——Harley shop put a new solenoid in

Sept, 2022 ——Harley shop putting in new solenoid for cam

what I am hearing in this forum is ultimately the root cause is related to the wiring. Any suggestions on how I can get Harley corporate involved so that I dont have to keep getting solenoids replaced? Thanks!

#35 ·
Best thing to do for corporate is to just call them and say hey I bought this lemon and the dealership cant get the fix right. I think youd be well within reason to request the dealership to replace the wiring harness or tell the service manager the wire for the VVT needs to be checked for continuity / resistance, on mine the wire was pinched when the cover was put on (then they installed a bum software update, go figure). Best of luck and let us know what they find if anything!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.