Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2021 Baja Orange / White Pan America Special
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a 175 mile ride Sat. Installed my new risers that night, then checked over the bike for anything loose, etc.
Upper, black exhaust heat deflector was loose, flopping on the rear of it. Both bolts present and accounted for. Took off the front most bolt, and the tang is broke/cracked off for the rear bolt. Anyone else having this issue? I saw a photo of a bike somewhere that had the deflector removed and missing a tang as well.
Bike has never been dropped or hit.....
My dealer is closed on Mon, so a call to them in the AM to see if they can weld it back on or replace the rear cylinder pipe under warranty (ugh).

· Premium Member
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
252 Posts
No experience here with that and hopefully won't but I've read here and other places that a handful of people "complain" about the welds breaking. "Under normal use"

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: ODGreenPA

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What the remedy/fix is/was I've got no clue. Think someone put muffler wrap on but no positive
Warranty it possibly, but I don't want it in the shop again (and a new one will most likely break similarly since it's only welded on one side). Take it to a welding shop (remove battery cables before welding!). JB Weld in a pinch, hose clamp (fugly). I have safety tie wire on it for the moment. Wrapping is an option too, but ya have to grind off all the bracket which looks like this (__) or in my case __) lol.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine cracked the heat shield mount and HD replaced the head pipe under warranty, On the new pipe the mount for the heat shield is heaver.
Good to hear, will be calling them tomorrow, thanks.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup, this issue seemed to be limited to 21s, happened to me too, 22s got a stronger flange and warranty replacements use the updated pipe.
Looks like the ENTIRE pipe has to be replaced for that little tang? Ugh, wonder how long that will take to get in? Haven't been to the dealer yet, going Sat for a group ride.

· Registered
141 Posts
Looks like the ENTIRE pipe has to be replaced for that little tang? Ugh, wonder how long that will take to get in? Haven't been to the dealer yet, going Sat for a group ride.
Took about a week to get the pipe in 2 months ago and overnight in the shop. Make sure you have them check for open recalls and get the latest's updates flashed.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took about a week to get the pipe in 2 months ago and overnight in the shop. Make sure you have them check for open recalls and get the latest's updates flashed.
Thanks, I called my dealer yesterday, they've already had to do one, so they are familiar. I'm riding it down today to get the latest ECM/BCM update completed (was released a coupe days ago).

· Registered
14 Posts
Took a 175 mile ride Sat. Installed my new risers that night, then checked over the bike for anything loose, etc. Upper, black exhaust heat deflector was loose, flopping on the rear of it. Both bolts present and accounted for. Took off the front most bolt, and the tang is broke/cracked off for the rear bolt. Anyone else having this issue? I saw a photo of a bike somewhere that had the deflector removed and missing a tang as well. Bike has never been dropped or hit..... My dealer is closed on Mon, so a call to them in the AM to see if they can weld it back on or replace the rear cylinder pipe under warranty (ugh).
I have the same issue with my 21 special, remedy is all new head pipe, of course it’s back ordered until May. I drilled a hole in the broken piece, and wired it back on to the exhaust pipe. The I reattached the heat shield

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same issue with my 21 special, remedy is all new head pipe, of course it’s back ordered until May. I drilled a hole in the broken piece, and wired it back on to the exhaust pipe. The I reattached the heat shield
I rode it in today, had the latest ECM software (released 25 Jan) flashed and started the process on the pipe. It should have gotten ordered today hopefully, first I heard backordered till May lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts