Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had previously seen a you tube video on a fellow owner in the US remarking on this and today i experienced the same reaction from a motorist. The reason ?.? The cornering light.

Following a lady driver on a twisty section of A road between Chepstow and Tintern, I noticed her adjusting her rear view mirror. Once we got to a straight section she indicated and pulled over whilst wildly gesticulating insults and V signs as I safely overtook. The issue is that drivers mistake the constantly flashing light as the rider flashing the motorist to let him pass. This is aggravated by the central location of the light and that it is on even in broad daylight, this is not a good scenario and could lead to serious confrontation.

I think it should only come on with main beam in the dark, that was whenever on dip and following a car, it won’t come on to annoy or mislead the driver in front and when the roads is clear on main beam it will illuminate the side of the road as intended……..come on Harley this is or could become an issue.

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
67 Posts
I had previously seen a you tube video on a fellow owner in the US remarking on this and today i experienced the same reaction from a motorist. The reason ?.? The cornering light.

Following a lady driver on a twisty section of A road between Chepstow and Tintern, I noticed her adjusting her rear view mirror. Once we got to a straight section she indicated and pulled over whilst wildly gesticulating insults and V signs as I safely overtook. The issue is that drivers mistake the constantly flashing light as the rider flashing the motorist to let him pass. This is aggravated by the central location of the light and that it is on even in broad daylight, this is not a good scenario and could lead to serious confrontation.

I think it should only come on with main beam in the dark, that was whenever on dip and following a car, it won’t come on to annoy or mislead the driver in front and when the roads is clear on main beam it will illuminate the side of the road as intended……..come on Harley this is or could become an issue.
So you're saying not to get the HD "upgraded" day maker lights?!😁
Seriously tho you do make a good point, as I could see that happening. People got no patience/manners/nothing when they get behind a wheel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're saying not to get the HD "upgraded" day maker lights?!😁
Seriously tho you do make a good point, as I could see that happening. People got no patience/manners/nothing when they get behind a wheel.
I am simply passing on a genuine concern that I now have, what’s the point of it illuminating in the daytime for a start. I can honestly say that I definitely would not be paying extra for that light operating as it currently is set up. I’m not going to disable mine as yet and intend to gain more traffic experience, but I may definitely investigate whether I can fit a switch so as it only operates at night.

I was following an irate lady, what if it was a car full of Chavs?

·
Registered
H-D PAS RA1250S Deadwood Green Spokes & ARH
63 Posts
I think you can turn the cornering light of concern, off. The fact it's mounted above the headlight can mean it could be misconstrued as a flashing headlight and not an innocent cornering light (we know it to be). What's that? 🤦‍♂️

Do raise your concerns with H-D; we can then weigh in alongside you. 👍

P.S. Wasn't aware it lit during the day, but have now noticed that yes you're right, it does, weirdly...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am simply passing on a genuine concern that I now have, what’s the point of it illuminating in the daytime for a start. I can honestly say that I definitely would not be paying extra for that light operating as it currently is set up. I’m not going to disable mine as yet and intend to gain more traffic experience, but I may definitely investigate whether I can fit a switch so as it only operates at night.

I was following an irate lady, what if it was a car full of Chavs?
Fair point. The only experience I had with this was on one of my first rides I rode around a bend under some trees and thought did that light come on. I am really beginning to wonder with the issues now coming up with whether I should trade it in for another GS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have rode the bike to work 4 or 5 times now and it does seem to startle people, so I just pay attention to hard leaning lane changes to keep it from coming on. There are some turns that I cannot control it so I go to that side of the 2-4 lane highway before that turn so it isn't in someone's mirror. Most people see it light up the barrier and realize what the new light is and civil people move on about their day.

Anyone who wants to turn that in to road rage will get what they deserve in the end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts