Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
H-D PAS RA1250S Deadwood Green Spokes & ARH
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been quoted £250 for first the service, 1000miles, feck knows or cares what that is KM. Seems a bit salty to me 4 what is an oil N filter change and opportinity to catch that missed in the PDI, what say, have you been quoted? willing to travel to save money obviously. Dirtglide.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Change your oil and filter, adjust your chain and clutch cable. Also check for loose nuts and bolts, gives you a chance to learn about your bike.
Problem in the UK with doing maintenance your self is the warranty. To keep it your bike has to be serviced to the manufactures schedule by a VAT registered garage (it doesn’t need to HD). If you do the service yourself, even producing proof of purchase for the parts will not be enough.

Ones it’s out of warranty I always do my own maintenance. Like you said good way to understand your bike better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Problem in the UK with doing maintenance your self is the warranty. To keep it your bike has to be serviced to the manufactures schedule by a VAT registered garage (it doesn’t need to HD). If you do the service yourself, even producing proof of purchase for the parts will not be enough.

Ones it’s out of warranty I always do my own maintenance. Like you said good way to understand your bike better.
Sorry to hear that. I guess we are lucky over here, we are not forced to have to do that sort of crap. I really want to take my bike back to a dealer for service, when they could not even get the pre-delivery done right.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I guess we are lucky over here, we are not forced to have to do that sort of crap. I really want to take my bike back to a dealer for service, when they could not even get the pre-delivery done right.
I feel the same. Not happy about paying top money and knowing it’s not possible to do the job in the time they have the bike. I had one dealer claim they had done a full service. It took them less time to service the bike than it took me to eat my breakfast in the dealer cafe.

im guessing the service was nothing more than a very expensive oil change.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Been quoted £250 for first the service, 1000miles, feck knows or cares what that is KM. Seems a bit salty to me 4 what is an oil N filter change and opportinity to catch that missed in the PDI, what say, have you been quoted? willing to travel to save money obviously. Dirtglide.
That’s apparently the going rate. Apparently H-D pricing gives it as being more expensive but a good dealer will only charge the actual time and consumables. The big problem is that this is a new model and very few Tecs have an understanding. I had a siren for the alarm installed and it doesn’t make a sound, apparently it needs another part to make it work. My advice is buy a Datatool Evo alarm (about £80 on fleabay) and at least you get a flashing red light for the dash and a siren when bike is moved, in conjunction with the bike system flashing the indicators. If the additional part is costly I’m going to have the H-D siren removed In favour of the Datatool.

my rear suspension is also highly suspect, I have non ARH, the bike used to calibrate at startup, reducing preload before pumping up to ride height when moving, depending on load. Now it is stuck at one setting despite an 80 kg pillion. Nobody as yet understands let alone can troubleshoot.

·
Registered
H-D PAS RA1250S Deadwood Green Spokes & ARH
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s apparently the going rate. Apparently H-D pricing gives it as being more expensive but a good dealer will only charge the actual time and consumables. The big problem is that this is a new model and very few Tecs have an understanding. I had a siren for the alarm installed and it doesn’t make a sound, apparently it needs another part to make it work. My advice is buy a Datatool Evo alarm (about £80 on fleabay) and at least you get a flashing red light for the dash and a siren when bike is moved, in conjunction with the bike system flashing the indicators. If the additional part is costly I’m going to have the H-D siren removed In favour of the Datatool.

my rear suspension is also highly suspect, I have non ARH, the bike used to calibrate at startup, reducing preload before pumping up to ride height when moving, depending on load. Now it is stuck at one setting despite an 80 kg pillion. Nobody as yet understands let alone can troubleshoot.
Thanks and yes that makes sense. Good advice about the alarm, I personally detest alarms, but at least your way your getting a better alarm for less money. Regards servicing. I have a really good local bike repair shop who I trust to do a good job and not rip me off. When I enquired about the skid plate, the dealer quoted me two hours labour to fit as and I quote - the main stand needs removing to fit. I already knew this wasn't true as and I quoted back at the dealer - the Internet says it doesn't. Dealer replied, well that's what the workshop says.... We agreed that they would supply the skid plate and I will fit it myself.

As mentioned previosuly in the thread. UK 24 month warranty is maintained using VAT registered garage and genuine parts. I will probably get the first service done at the dealer and see how the reliability of the bike goes from there..... I may end up on first name terms with the technicians. Hope not.

Dirtglide.

·
Registered
50 Posts

I’ve done a lot of reading up on the alarm, and been told by the dealer it’s impossible to fit. I quote the sales guy when he said "HD haven’t invented a cable capable of connecting the alarm to the siren". He went quiet and mumbled when I pointed out "the un-invented cables was on sale on their own website for £34". I ended up reporting this to the dealer principle and getting one fitted for free.

For anyone interested. Parts required are as follows.
69202993 siren adapter wire
69000124 alarm siren

Fitting instructions

Ive not fitted one but it looks easy enough with basic tool and bare minimum of mechanical no how.

I was getting stone walled by the dealer until I hit them with part numbers and fitting instructions. They folded pretty quickly after. I hope it’s just lack of knowledge on their part, as in excusable as that is. The alternative is their actively trying to rip people off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’ve done a lot of reading up on the alarm, and been told by the dealer it’s impossible to fit. I quote the sales guy when he said "HD haven’t invented a cable capable of connecting the alarm to the siren". He went quiet and mumbled when I pointed out "the un-invented cables was on sale on their own website for £34". I ended up reporting this to the dealer principle and getting one fitted for free.

For anyone interested. Parts required are as follows.
69202993 siren adapter wire
69000124 alarm siren

Fitting instructions

Ive not fitted one but it looks easy enough with basic tool and bare minimum of mechanical no how.

I was getting stone walled by the dealer until I hit them with part numbers and fitting instructions. They folded pretty quickly after. I hope it’s just lack of knowledge on their part, as in excusable as that is. The alternative is their actively trying to rip people off.
That’s great information thanks, I have been told by my dealer that they will also supply and fit this additional adapter wire foc, since H-D failed to provide this information, which is mighty decent of them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That’s great information thanks, I have been told by my dealer that they will also supply and fit this additional adapter wire foc, since H-D failed to provide this information, which is mighty decent of them.
Not sure how the dealer can say HD didn’t provide the information. It’s in the fitting instructions.

It really annoys me when dealer charge a premium but know less than the customer. But that’s a discussion for another thread.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not sure how the dealer can say HD didn’t provide the information. It’s in the fitting instructions.

It really annoys me when dealer charge a premium but know less than the customer. But that’s a discussion for another thread.
In the siren kit that they ordered - 68958-07C, there is no section relating to the Pan Am, hence no reference to the additional item.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That siren won’t fit a Pan. It’s for the rest of the HD range.
Out of interest which HD dealer are you using.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That siren won’t fit a Pan. It’s for the rest of the HD range.
Out of interest which HD dealer are you using.
It does fit the Pan according to H-D, if you look up the part number then input your bike as a Pan Am, it confirms it will fit the bike. see following pics

·
Registered
50 Posts
This could be where the confusion is coming from. Further down the page it say this.

THIS PART FITS THESE BIKES
Fits '17-later XG, '02-'17 VRSC™, '14-later XL, '04-'17 Dyna™, '03-later Softail™ (except FXCW and FXCWC), '02-later Touring and '09-later Trike models equipped with H-D™ Smart Security System or H-D™ Factory Security System. '17-later XG models require separate purchase of mounting bracket P/N 69201473. 2002-2006 VRSCA, VRSCB, VRSCD Models require the purchase of a loop side Velcro strip, P/N 59274-01.

You can understand why customers and dealers are getting confused.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This could be where the confusion is coming from. Further down the page it say this.

THIS PART FITS THESE BIKES
Fits '17-later XG, '02-'17 VRSC™, '14-later XL, '04-'17 Dyna™, '03-later Softail™ (except FXCW and FXCWC), '02-later Touring and '09-later Trike models equipped with H-D™ Smart Security System or H-D™ Factory Security System. '17-later XG models require separate purchase of mounting bracket P/N 69201473. 2002-2006 VRSCA, VRSCB, VRSCD Models require the purchase of a loop side Velcro strip, P/N 59274-01.

You can understand why customers and dealers are getting confused.
Exactly, the dealers can’t be blamed when the message are so vague. Notwithstanding that, I’m confident it will work when I get the extra part. TBH my rear suspension behaviour is my greatest concern.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts