Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you ever get your alarm parts. I’m still waiting for an estimated delivery date, even though the parts been on order for 6 weeks.
I ended up ordering the cable for the alarm siren from Linde and i fitted it this morning, my Pan now has an alarm that chirps and sounds as it should.

For others I fitted alarm siren 68958-07C and cable 69202993 (siren adapter wire).

happy days

·
Registered
PAS RA1250S Deadwood Green Spokes & ARH
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Decided to change the oil, only 540 miles in, but will likely be a wee while before it heads to the dealer for actual first service. 15w/50 oil is a little different from my previous bikes, 4L of Castrol was £29.99 from of all places, Arnoldclark.com. :ROFLMAO:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Gas Automotive wheel system

Fluid Automotive lighting Liquid Gas Automotive tire

Should take around 3.5 litres. Oil was black and there was some gunk, dark coloured paste, on the sump plug magnet. 13mm sump plug is easy to get at, main stand gets in the way of placing an oil pan, hence cardboard placed to guide oil into the pan. I haven't changed the filter, that will get done at the dealer first service, I hope. 👩‍🔧

·
Registered
2 Posts
Siren
Extension Cable

pass it on please!

·
Registered
45 Posts
That’s apparently the going rate. Apparently H-D pricing gives it as being more expensive but a good dealer will only charge the actual time and consumables. The big problem is that this is a new model and very few Tecs have an understanding. I had a siren for the alarm installed and it doesn’t make a sound, apparently it needs another part to make it work. My advice is buy a Datatool Evo alarm (about £80 on fleabay) and at least you get a flashing red light for the dash and a siren when bike is moved, in conjunction with the bike system flashing the indicators. If the additional part is costly I’m going to have the H-D siren removed In favour of the Datatool.

my rear suspension is also highly suspect, I have non ARH, the bike used to calibrate at startup, reducing preload before pumping up to ride height when moving, depending on load. Now it is stuck at one setting despite an 80 kg pillion. Nobody as yet understands let alone can troubleshoot.
I had to buy a jumper harness to go along with the siren as well and HD had to enable the siren through computer hook up

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had to buy a jumper harness to go along with the siren as well and HD had to enable the siren through computer hook up
Now there's some good info. I have the siren and jumper sitting in a box. Haven't installed it yet, but it's good to know it needs to be enabled. I'll schedule it during my 5,000 mile service..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Been quoted £250 for first the service, 1000miles, feck knows or cares what that is KM. Seems a bit salty to me 4 what is an oil N filter change and opportinity to catch that missed in the PDI, what say, have you been quoted? willing to travel to save money obviously. Dirtglide.
It is, my first service, oil and oil filter change, 110 euro, second service, again, oil and oil filter, 130 euro! If you consider the oil is now 12 euro per litre and you need 4.5 litre, it's 55 euro, the oil filter what? 15 euro... we go up to 70... what about the rest?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Problem in the UK with doing maintenance your self is the warranty. To keep it your bike has to be serviced to the manufactures schedule by a VAT registered garage (it doesn’t need to HD). If you do the service yourself, even producing proof of purchase for the parts will not be enough.

Ones it’s out of warranty I always do my own maintenance. Like you said good way to understand your bike better.
I've been quoted £390 for the first service, my bike now has 1600 miles covered since September last year. I wanna do more miles but that motor needs an oil change. The other dealer I phoned, said they'd phone me back and then didn't, this is the HD stealer that I bought the fecking bike from! Now they might yet call, but I think I've made my mind up. 🆒

I'll be buying the correct oil filter, part number 62700280, 5L of Castrol's finest, 15w 50 BMW spec' :ROFLMAO: as it's my favourite brand; I'll then hand those over with the bike to my friendly local motorcycle mechanic Stephen. I'll gladly pay him what he will reasonably charge me for his time and disposing of the oil etc properly. I'll also ask him to give the bike a check over just to make sure I haven't missed anything and then invite him to have a wee shot and let me know what he thinks of the bike? That to me will be decent value for money and as you say, Nimba, keep up my warranty obligations.

Shameless plug. Motorcycle Service Centre Perth Scotland from Sandy Bloy

Support your local independent (VAT registered) motorcycle mechanic! ☮

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's NOT a request the dealer pairing for the siren. I installed mine, with the harness, and it worked directly.
Only follow instruction sheet.
Exactly the same with me. One dealer didn’t want to sell me a siren as they said I couldn’t fit it myself without them enabling it. I’ve fitted it as per instructions and it works fine. I know it works fine as the tech doing the 1000mile service nearly dropped the bike, as he jumped when it went off as he moved the bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Been quoted £250 for first the service, 1000miles, feck knows or cares what that is KM. Seems a bit salty to me 4 what is an oil N filter change and opportinity to catch that missed in the PDI, what say, have you been quoted? willing to travel to save money obviously. Dirtglide.
Hi @Dirtglide,

actually it is salty. For the first service at HD Cyprus I paid 110 Euro (about 95 quids), and for the second one, 130 Euro.

Take care,
Alberto

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi @Dirtglide,

actually it is salty. For the first service at HD Cyprus I paid 110 Euro (about 95 quids), and for the second one, 130 Euro.

Take care,
Alberto
Thanks, Alberto. Just goes to show it can be done. Mine is booked into my friendly independent motocycle mechanic for next week now that the OEM filter has arrived. Thanks, Dirtglide.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Bike collected today, Stephen found that the coolant is low in the expansion tank, the tank is empty. He looked into that and it seems quite a common thing probably caused by an air lock when filled at the factory which works its way out with miles covered. He didn't top it up but suggested I do so with genuine Harley coolant. I'll order some up the now. It's about £30 a litre, yes really.

Best check yours. That was all he could find and amazingly, nothing seems to have vibrated loose, we both laughed at that one. Total cost was £159.60. About 50/50 parts cost & labour.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Coolant arrived. Speshul long-life premixed stuff so can go straight into the expansion bottle. I'd like to check the radiator level at the cap too, presumably it has a cap? but that's hidden away. It'll end up there with a few heat cycles anyway....

Check your coolant !

21 - 33 of 33 Posts