Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

just a quick question hope anyone can help. Today I have took my bike for a quick ride. Started without issues had a short ride, switched off my bike and was not able to start it again... screen comes up shows a pin section for a second and switches off again (key fob is present) also makes a ticking sound for a sec. First I thought that the battery in a FOB have died so I left a key at home and tried to start it using a PIN (I did changed my pin when I have purchased a bike) but it does not even let me to enter a pin it shows it for a second and switches off again.

Pan America 2021 model RA1250s.
Has the latest software installed.

not sure what to do should I take it to my dealer? I will also have ordered a new FOB battery will see if that makes an issue go away but still it does not explain why I am unable to start my bike with a PIN?

Thanks in advance

· Registered
2022 PAS
105 Posts
Pheww thats a difficult one surley you can buy a battery for the fob in any hardware shop etc..try pulling the cltch in or pressing the reset button worked for th3e start procedure for me put the main battery on a charger ALWAYS as they are crap,apart from that yes go to the dealership thats what they are there for .

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pheww thats a difficult one surley you can buy a battery for the fob in any hardware shop etc..try pulling the cltch in or pressing the reset button worked for th3e start procedure for me put the main battery on a charger ALWAYS as they are crap,apart from that yes go to the dealership thats what they are there for .
Hi,
thanks for reply. Not sure what do you mean by reset button :) which one is it. Thanks.

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
105 Posts
I also own a Multistrada which is plagued with FOB issues. It has been from day one. I'll save that rant for another day.
There is a quick thing(s) you can do at home before you decide to take it in.

1. plug in a trickle charger and let it sit over night. This may help rule out if it is a battery issue. These bikes have become known to have extremely sensitive electrical systems. Cost: zero euros / dollars / pounds

2. With the battery tender attached, measure the voltage directly on the battery terminals. While doing so, have a friend unplug the battery tender. If you see an immediate drop of more than 4volts, I would lean on a failing battery.

3. With the battery tender attached, and undisturbed for 12 hours, go through the normal starting procedure. Take particular note to any new error codes, or screen prompts you may not have seen in previous attempts. If this happens, I would again lean toward a failing battery cell.
Hope this helps.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also own a Multistrada which is plagued with FOB issues. It has been from day one. I'll save that rant for another day.
There is a quick thing(s) you can do at home before you decide to take it in.

1. plug in a trickle charger and let it sit over night. This may help rule out if it is a battery issue. These bikes have become known to have extremely sensitive electrical systems. Cost: zero euros / dollars / pounds

2. With the battery tender attached, measure the voltage directly on the battery terminals. While doing so, have a friend unplug the battery tender. If you see an immediate drop of more than 4volts, I would lean on a failing battery.

3. With the battery tender attached, and undisturbed for 12 hours, go through the normal starting procedure. Take particular note to any new error codes, or screen prompts you may not have seen in previous attempts. If this happens, I would again lean toward a failing battery cell.
Hope this helps.
Hi,

I did checked the battery output and it is showing 12.7V should be OK. But the problem is not that the bike wont start but it will not let me enter my PIN, the screen appears for a second and then goes black.... I know that the FOB battery is low but that should not affect manually entering a PIN? Bike starts without issues and runs well with the FOB present (new battery) but I am still unable to manually start a bike using a PIN. could be a new software issue... not sure

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
105 Posts
My next suggestion is to unplug the TFT display and let it sit for 10 minutes and plug it back in. No harm will be done, but it may clear a memory loop on the start up that will not allow access to the PIN input screen.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My next suggestion is to unplug the TFT display and let it sit for 10 minutes and plug it back in. No harm will be done, but it may clear a memory loop on the start up that will not allow access to the PIN input screen.
I had this one in my mind, is it hard to access the plug? Any instructions, much appreciated.

· Registered
22 Pan America Special
18 Posts
Timely post - I was trying earlier today to use the pin without the fob present and cannot. I get there pin entry screen for only a split second like the OP. When I bring fob within range works fine. So the low battery in fob you are having shouldn't be an issue.

I've tried both touching the screen and also the blinker without luck before the screen goes dark. Would be interested to hear if others can use pin successfully

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Timely post - I was trying earlier today to use the pin without the fob present and cannot. I get there pin entry screen for only a split second like the OP. When I bring fob within range works fine. So the low battery in fob you are having shouldn't be an issue.

I've tried both touching the screen and also the blinker without luck before the screen goes dark. Would be interested to hear if others can use pin successfully
that is probably the issue with the latest Pan_America_LM7_V512_5135562_20221031 software. I wonder how lond it will take for them to patch it?

· Registered
22 Pan America Special
18 Posts
"that is probably the issue with the latest Pan_America_LM7_V512_5135562_20221031"

I wasn't aware of that issue but hopefully they psych quickly. I'll check my version tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

· Registered
4 Posts
"that is probably the issue with the latest Pan_America_LM7_V512_5135562_20221031"

I wasn't aware of that issue but hopefully they psych quickly. I'll check my version tomorrow. Thanks for the info!
I also have the same issue. When FOB is 100+ feet away from the bike, accessory feature being activated, pin screen will appear only for a fraction of a second before disappearing. After about a dozen tries, I can position my finger above the first number to enter, anticipate the pin flash, and poke the screen with my finger. After several trys I can get the first number pressed before the screen goes bland. I can then enter the rest of the numbers and the bike will start. I have the 20221031-update installed. I also changed the FOB battery just in case, but it is irrelevant to this problem. What a pain in ass. I look forward to hearing any solutions.

· Registered
29 Posts
The PIN code screen does appear and disappear in a comically quick flash! You have to be really quick on the draw to get the first number entered. It’s like one 1/2 second and go. It’s the PanAm starter game. I’ve missed it several times getting just the right touch in quick enough. After like 3 attempts it seems to lock out any future attempts and go black without the fob thinking it’s being stolen or tampered with. it needs a bit less “sensitive” response time programmed in HD.

I too had a Ducati with a problematic fob/receiver. If the bike sit it the sun in really hot weather the transmitter/receiver on the bike would overheat wouldn’t recognize the fob. That fob was also critical on a requiring a fresh fob battery. Fortunately the pin screen was a little less sensitive. It was the one major flaw that had me selling the bike. It also electronically locked the forks and the pin override didn’t unlock them. A bad design so I never locked the forks instead carrying a separate brake disc lock. The PAS separate manual steering lock is a better idea. The BMW I had included a fob without the ability to enter a PIN code and also electronically locked the fork. I never had a low battery in the fob or experienced any failures but having a backup of entering a pin and separating the steering lock is a good idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts