Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting very concerned about how close my radiator hose is the the front exhaust header. Checking other bikes I see about a 5mm clearance at the closest point, on mine after a ride it is within 1mm. Does anybody else have a similar hot clearance. The hose does have the possibility of being pushed further on the radiator boss but the clip is a fixed type and would need to be replaced with a jubilee clip.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi

From what I’ve read. Haven’t got mine yet, it’s a know issue.
If memory serves me right there should be a white mark on the radiator hose and a notch on the casting. These should line up it the pipe has been correctly fitted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am getting very concerned about how close my radiator hose is the the front exhaust header. Checking other bikes I see about a 5mm clearance at the closest point, on mine after a ride it is within 1mm. Does anybody else have a similar hot clearance. The hose does have the possibility of being pushed further on the radiator boss but the clip is a fixed type and would need to be replaced with a jubilee clip.
As this has been a known issue for months, I'm surprised it wasn't addressed in the 2022 models and no aftermarket hose sleeve designed for this issue has been released by anyone. I have my hose wrapped in fiberglass backed heat tape now after the heat burned through some cheap foil tape I had on the hose. But, I don't consider tape a permanent fix.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As this has been a known issue for months, I'm surprised it wasn't addressed in the 2022 models and no aftermarket hose sleeve designed for this issue has been released by anyone. I have my hose wrapped in fiberglass backed heat tape now after the heat burned through some cheap foil tape I had on the hose. But, I don't consider tape a permanent fix.
mine eventually needed a new hose due to burning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I mentioned it to my dealer they said it was addressed in the later '21 models. I was told I was okay and it wasn't a concern for me. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I mentioned it to my dealer they said it was addressed in the later '21 models. I was told I was okay and it wasn't a concern for me. I guess time will tell.
I have a '22 model and it's the same as all the '21's I have seen as far as how close the hose is. I have been checking the hose after every ride for any signs of melting and have not noticed anything after around 1500 miles.

Patkin, what was your mileage when you had to have it replaced?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a '22 model and it's the same as all the '21's I have seen as far as how close the hose is. I have been checking the hose after every ride for any signs of melting and have not noticed anything after around 1500 miles.

Patkin, what was your mileage when you had to have it replaced?
it was about 1800 miles, when hot it was only about 1mm clear of the exhaust.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my mileage was about 1800 miles

·
Registered
Pan america blk/orange
16 Posts
My bike went in today for the hose and recalls no new hose part number so same hose they are going to get it away as far as possible we will see

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine finally got to the point where it touched and started to melt the hose at around 2800 miles and its a 22. Dealer said the same "it's shows the same part number". Said they were going to do some research and contact headquarters for any info. Said it didn't make sense to put same hose back on it for it to happen again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I keep expecting somebody to make a stainless or aluminum replacement hose. You could sell one to half the Pan America owners. There are people making a lot more complicated and less critical aftermarket parts already that don't fix a problem that can strand the bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My .02 cents

Wrap the header or have Harley fix that shit now. I knew this issue before taking a 1300 mile trip to Vegas, super mindful when I stopped to check for signs of deterioration... headed back today 20 miles into my ride, radiator hose was compromised. Only caught it because I stopped to remove my keys from my saddlebags on the on ramp to I 215, saw smoke and called for a tow... will be a very long day today
Tire Wheel Cloud Jeans Sky

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2022 RAS. After my first ride, I noticed a burning smell. The lower radiator hose was in direct contact with the front cylinder header. It left a quarter size melted divit in the hose. There was no leaking of fluid. To get home, I did the following.......
1. remove belly pan screws and only loosen forward screws on frame. This allows the pan to pivot down and forward.
2. remove the right side crash bar. 1/2" socket or wrench.
3. remove screws to separate plastic inner deflector. There are torx screw in the front and rear of this assembly.
4. Now you can see the radiator hose. Place a stainless hose clamp loosely on the hose at the bend.
5. using a razor blade, cut approximately 1/4" off the end of the hose while it is still attached with the factory clamp. Use the factory clamp as a guide. cut all the way around the hose.
6. Using a side cutter, cut the factory clamp off.
7. push the hose further on to the radiator now that you created the extra room.
8. tighten the clamp you installed. There will be minimal dripping of fluid if you are pre set with the clamp and the right tools.
9. re-assemble in reverse order.
10. Call your dealer and schedule a replacement hose.
11. drink good quality bourbon in the garage to sooth the pain of missing your bike while its in the shop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, if you look at that factory clamp, to the right of it, you can use it as a guide to cut the 1/4" or slightly more off the hose. There is a little "nub" on the radiator visible in your picture. This is the "stop" where it goes to during assembly.
Mine was in direct contact with the pipe when it was delivered. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the general hose design needs some re-work.
Could the radiator have a 90 degree output that would allow for use of a straighter hose? Not sure. I'm not an engineer, nor did I play one on television.
I placed some adhesive reflective tape on the hose to get her home. so far, it has worked. No matter what fix they do, I will be figuring out some sort of way to insulate that hose from the header pipe. Pipe wrap on the header? Wrap the hose? Drive around with coolant and a spare hose for the rest of my life? I don't know.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
Pan america blk/orange
16 Posts
If you shorten your hose be for it melt’s don’t bother taking it to the dealer because they are just going to put it back the way it was.I know because I just had my hose changed same problem.going to fix it my self

·
Registered
2022 Pan America 1250 Special
24 Posts
There must be some inconsistency in either the hose length/curvature or the placement of the radiator as I checked my 2022 PAS and there is a good 1/2" of clearance between the hose and the exhaust pipe. Either that or something is moving over time.

I don't have time to fool with it myself but a small curved metal plate spot welded to a couple of hose clamps would be a good aftermarket heat shield for some enterprising person. I can't imagine that it would take more than a few $$$ to build/source and I'd easily pay $25 or $30 for one. Just thinking out loud...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts