Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

GPS Mounting Options

7K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  Horsepoor 
#1 ·
I picked up a Garmin Zumo XT on a Black Friday deal and looking @ options to mount it. I was originally just looking @ the Touratech mount above the TFT but then saw the Touratech windshield windscreen adjuster. This bracket remounts the windshield more solid and also provides a bar above the TFT to mount the Garmin. I figured that would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Anyone using this Touratech mount, options, opinions?
Font Auto part Parallel Logo Brand

See less See more
#2 ·
I roll the Touratech mount above the TFT. I mounted a ZumoXT and love it. However, a quick look at the Touratech USA site does not reveal that component. A search of the SKU also turns up zero.
Is it possible this is a Canadian only item? I think it may be outsourced somewhere else and not a true touratech product.
Here is a link to another windscreen option: Wunderlich Screen Reinforcement
I really like having it above the TFT. I totally get that some folks on here have said otherwise. But, like any accessory, it is personal preference.
Would I have liked to kill 2 birds with one stone? Absolutely. That would be a great item to find.

#3 ·
I roll the Touratech mount above the TFT. I mounted a ZumoXT and love it. However, a quick look at the Touratech USA site does not reveal that component. A search of the SKU also turns up zero.
Is it possible this is a Canadian only item? I think it may be outsourced somewhere else and not a true touratech product.
Here is a link to another windscreen option: Wunderlich Screen Reinforcement
I really like having it above the TFT. I totally get that some folks on here have said otherwise. But, like any accessory, it is personal preference.
Would I have liked to kill 2 birds with one stone? Absolutely. That would be a great item to find.
Just checked the official Touratech site and they have it listed.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Font Automotive tire Machine

#7 ·
So the Touratech windscreen windshield adjuster showed up on my door step today. I dug the bike out of the corner of the garage and got the parts installed. Wow what a difference as far as the windshield being rigid. The mount supports the upper part of the windshield adjuster. Only drawback I see is you are no longer able to adjust the windshield with one hand. Haven’t had a chance to mount the Zumo yet but holding it up looks like it will work out well.
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bicycle part Carbon

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

#9 ·
So the Touratech windscreen windshield adjuster showed up on my door step today. I dug the bike out of the corner of the garage and got the parts installed. Wow what a difference as far as the windshield being rigid. The mount supports the upper part of the windshield adjuster. Only drawback I see is you are no longer able to adjust the windshield with one hand. Haven’t had a chance to mount the Zumo yet but holding it up looks like it will work out well.
View attachment 2183
View attachment 2184
View attachment 2185
Question, is that the factory windshield and you just added the tourtech bracket? But you haven't had a chance to test it out with a ride,yet?
Getting at is I might be interested.
Thanks.

#8 ·
Well Mr. Dozer..........guess what showed up this week on the touratech-usa website? ..........Guess what will be on my front porch next week tuesday?.......
You were correct. I spoke with a rep via phone. They simply had not made updates to the website before the holidays and it sat on some IT nerds desk for a while.
I'm excited to see how good it is based on your pics and review. That's what makes participating here so great. Thanks for the lead and the review.

#14 ·
After some forum comments and suggestions, I went to the MadStad website then spoke with a guy there. They have 3 products for the PAS. Windshield Kit; Riser; GPS/Device mounting bar. The bar itself is $109. All 3 are $643 (plus tax and guessing shipping is free with this much cost). Not sure what's needed but definitely the device rack/bar. Thoughts? Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Windshields by MadStad - MadStad Engineering

#15 ·
The factory shield works fine for me so I wasn’t really interested in replacing the entire set up. The somewhat flimsy support/adjustment mechanism didn’t even really bother me that much either. I was looking for something to mount my gps and stumbled upon the Touratech set up I bought. For me it kills 2 birds with one stone and didn’t break the bank. The Madstad set up looks nice and if you’re going with their windshield and mount the rest seems like a no brainer. I’m envious of you guys down in the states with the after market parts you have access to with out having to pay stupid shipping and duty fees on.

#19 ·
Ok I "jumped in" and ordered the tourtech stabilizer with mount! But now I have a question, I see they make a gps locking mount and they say it has vibration dampners. Yeah lock is nice but more interested in making sure gps don't vibrate into pieces. :D

So my question, especially for you all that has the Garmin zumo(probably be gps I buy). First, did you mount it with the included mount and is it holding up or you considering a different kind? And/or should I look at buying tourtech or another brand?
Thanks

#20 ·

Ok I "jumped in" and ordered the tourtech stabilizer with mount! But now I have a question, I see they make a gps locking mount and they say it has vibration dampners. Yeah lock is nice but more interested in making sure gps don't vibrate into pieces. :D

So my question, especially for you all that has the Garmin zumo(probably be gps I buy). First, did you mount it with the included mount and is it holding up or you considering a different kind? And/or should I look at buying tourtech or another brand?
Thanks
I just bought the Touratech mounting plate.
White Product Font Auto part Circle

Not really worried about vibration as I’m mounting the Zumo and it’s made specifically for motorcycles.

#21 · (Edited)
Just installed the stabilizer and wow, shield is pretty stiff/firm by touch/hand, no ride yet. Took ~2hrs with running to store for washers(either I lost them or they forgot two).... Wasn't difficult but instructions could have little more information but I was able to get it.

Will say, not that you could move it much (tft/display) but don't think you'll be able to without loosening two nuts. I could be wrong but after install that what appears to be.

#23 ·
Glad to hear it both OD and 51. After seeing your experiences and taking my bike out to the desert in high winds I decided to stick with Touratech too. Keeping my OEM windshield and I like the one hand raise/lower operation that Touratech protects. I'll keep an eye out for those washers.

Reactions: ODGreenPA
#26 ·
I'm leaning back to MadStad who has a display riser bracket. I do like the Touratech Garmin XT locking mount/bracket. Haven't decided on a GPS yet but may end up supporting both brands. MadStad for the shield, display riser and GPS bar and Touratech for the Garmin XT and Locking Mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.