Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some great articles I've seen so far on the Pan America. A lot of positive news on the bike!

T3:

Keeping all that in mind, I'll tell you the Pan America is one of the best ADV bikes on the market at the moment, handily outgunning offerings from Triumph, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda. And, yes, I'd even go so far as to say it's better than the mighty GS – with a caveat. I'll get to that in a moment, but first let me tell you how I arrived at this opinion.

Rider Magazine:

To be competitive in the adventure touring segment, the Pan America 1250 and Pan America 1250 Special are equipped with state-of-the-art electronics like riding modes and Harley’s RDRS Safety Enhancements. The Special is equipped with added features, including Showa semi-active suspension that adjusts damping rates on the selected ride mode and automatically adjusts spring preload to provide 30% sag regardless of the load.

But the real innovation is the Adaptive Ride Height (ARH), a factory option available only on the Special. Using an array of sensors and algorithms, ARH automatically lowers the motorcycle’s ride height by 1 to 2 inches when the motorcycle comes to a stop (the amount of ride height adjustment depends on preload). Lowering the ride height lowers the rider’s seat, which accommodates a wider range of riders and adapts to a wider range of conditions than other full-sized adventure bikes, even those with semi-active suspension.

Cycle World:

Ups
  • One word to describe the Revolution Max engine: Wow
  • Engine is a stressed member, making that chassis package light and rigid
  • Clutch pull is light thanks to the slipper/assist unit
  • On the Special, semi-active suspension is well damped
  • Great ergonomics
Downs
  • Would like to see a quickshifter
  • Windshield adjusters gets jammed with dirt after a day’s worth of off-road riding
  • Heat radiates from catalytic converter
Verdict
The new Pan America represents The Motor Company well in the adventure-touring segment. It is capable, powerful, and technologically sound, bringing legitimate competition to the rest of the class.

SuperBike Magazine:

I ask myself a few questions when I get off a bike on a press launch. The first is a quick check to see if I’m aching anywhere. Tiny niggles in achy wrists? A stiff neck from a windscreen that’s too low? Aching feet from pegs that aren’t quite in the right place? Any other bodily business? Once I’ve answered these, I ask myself if I’d be happy to get straight back on the bike and ride it home. With the Pan America I found myself going one better and wondering what it’d be like to head North to the top of Scotland before heading home. For me it was a supremely comfortable bike to ride. Perfect reach for arms and legs, a screen that works, handy brush guards and a seat that I could sit in all day no worries all played their part. Granted not everyone is the same shape as me but I don’t think I’m too far from the norm.

Adventure Motorcycle:

First impressions were more akin to a passionate love affair than a long, simpering walk on the beach. On the pavement, the Revolution Max 1250 and its 150 horsepower literally pulled my face into the Joker’s smile. Honest enough, but entirely sincere. Mid-range was the sweet spot, providing ample power and delivery with a slight twist of the wrist. It sang its song, and I listened. I won’t go too deep into the riding experience just yet, but understand, this isn’t only ADV—it’s sport touring as well.

I asked the Harley-Davidson team about their intentions while developing this entirely new motorcycle. In other words, who was their target demographic? Rider audience? And were they aiming at the Bavarian GS and KTM, the Italian or the Japanese OEMs as a whole? “Right in the middle,” was their reply. They weren’t looking to build the best off-road ADV vehicle. Or one which is the most capable on the road. They were looking to launch a bike that could do all of the things—some equally, some better. Yet, as far as I’m concerned, the Revolution Max 1250 is the fuse which lit H-D’s dynamite stick.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts