Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I hope this is the correct place within the forum to post this. If it's not, I greatly apologize. Please point me in the correct direction.

I am in the process of purchasing a Harley Pan America Special and am trying to plan for trailering it home. I was hoping to use a Uhaul Enclosed trailer, but it appears that the Pan America is too tall (59" for the PAS from my research and the inside opening of the 6x12/5x8 enclosed trailers are 58"). I'm unsure if this height is from the top of the windshield/mirrors or not. I was hoping that maybe someone here knew how tall the bike is if I removed the windshield/mirrors.

If it comes down to it, I'm not afraid of using the open trailer, but was just hoping I'd be able to use an enclosed one.

Thanks in advance for any information that anyone is able to provide.

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Hi,

I hope this is the correct place within the forum to post this. If it's not, I greatly apologize. Please point me in the correct direction.

I am in the process of purchasing a Harley Pan America Special and am trying to plan for trailering it home. I was hoping to use a Uhaul Enclosed trailer, but it appears that the Pan America is too tall (59" for the PAS from my research and the inside opening of the 6x12/5x8 enclosed trailers are 58"). I'm unsure if this height is from the top of the windshield/mirrors or not. I was hoping that maybe someone here knew how tall the bike is if I removed the windshield/mirrors.

If it comes down to it, I'm not afraid of using the open trailer, but was just hoping I'd be able to use an enclosed one.

Thanks in advance for any information that anyone is able to provide.
Hi, I just measured to the top of the mirrors on the center stand and its about 59. Windshield in lowest position closer to 60. On the side stand throttle side is a bit over 60 at the top of the mirror, 55 at brake master cylinder/ fluid reservoir, windshield close to 56. Looks like you should be ok if you remove the mirrors and shield.

Not sure I would trust trailering it on the side stand- it is bolted directly to the engine case. In fact I would not do it. There have been reports of cracked engine cases from loose side stand bolts. Also be sure to pull the main fuse-per Harley so you do not deplete the battery. Please read the manual concerning trailering too.
I would only trailer it jammed in a wheel chock like a condor, or the Uhaul motorcycle trailer which has a front wheel chock built in. I would also remove the windshield if trailering on an open trailer- the mount is pretty flimsy. You could also buy a moving blanket to protect/cover the front- cheap at Uhaul YMMV
Good luck,
Tom

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I just measured to the top of the mirrors on the center stand and its about 59. Windshield in lowest position closer to 60. On the side stand throttle side is a bit over 60 at the top of the mirror, 55 at brake master cylinder/ fluid reservoir, windshield close to 56. Looks like you should be ok if you remove the mirrors and shield.

Not sure I would trust trailering it on the side stand- it is bolted directly to the engine case. In fact I would not do it. There have been reports of cracked engine cases from loose side stand bolts. Also be sure to pull the main fuse-per Harley so you do not deplete the battery. Please read the manual concerning trailering too.
I would only trailer it jammed in a wheel chock like a condor, or the Uhaul motorcycle trailer which has a front wheel chock built in. I would also remove the windshield if trailering on an open trailer- the mount is pretty flimsy. You could also buy a moving blanket to protect/cover the front- cheap at Uhaul YMMV
Good luck,
Tom
Thank you very much for the information. I definitely wasn't planning on trailering it on the side stand. I haven't found much info for trailering it anywhere, the best I was able to find was a previous post on this forum from someone who strapped it down at the 4 corners (Deadwood Green Harley-Davidson Pan America 1250 Pictures). Unless you have a better idea for tie down?

I must have missed the section for trailering in the owner's manual. I'll have to go back and look. Do you happen to have the section? No worries if you don't I'm sure I can find it.

Thanks again for the information!

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
Hi, just checked the owners manual and found nothing. Sorry I just assumed it would have some info. I do know you should not strap to the handle bars, on any moto- but you may already know that. Fork tubes and crash bars are what I would use in the front and the frame in the back. And a tire rim if I could to keep it from moving front to back. Kinda depends how long I would have to trailer it. I did learn though to not fully compress the suspension so it has room to move. I also tend to over strap stuff with back up straps. LOL
You may know all of this, so not implying you don't know what you're doing.
Happy riding. I love mine.
Tom

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
100 Posts
I have relied on these for years. It makes tying down a bike by yourself WAY easier.
Uline Retractable Ratchet Tie-Downs - S-Hook, 1" x 6', 1,500 lb Capacity H-9706 - Uline
This allows you to set the bike on its side stand and place a strap on the throttle side and simply tip the bike up, retract it, and it will hold.
I also make sure to get the "S" hooks away from the bodywork. An easy item to do that with is these:
3333 lb. Capacity 24 in. x 2 in. Axle Strap with D-Rings (harborfreight.com)
By using the axle straps a around the crash bars or the pannier racks, you keep fasteners away from the bike all around.
Like Florida Pan, I too whip one through the rear rim to keep that forward / rearward motion to a minimum.
The Retracting ratchet straps just make life easier when you are by yourself. (which 99.97% of the time, I am)
Hope this helps.

· Premium Member
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
252 Posts
Thank you very much for the information. I definitely wasn't planning on trailering it on the side stand. I haven't found much info for trailering it anywhere, the best I was able to find was a previous post on this forum from someone who strapped it down at the 4 corners (Deadwood Green Harley-Davidson Pan America 1250 Pictures). Unless you have a better idea for tie down?

I must have missed the section for trailering in the owner's manual. I'll have to go back and look. Do you happen to have the section? No worries if you don't I'm sure I can find it.

Thanks again for the information!
Hello,
I was unable to find ride to dealer so I had to trailer mine home. I tried my best (dealership didn't help) to tie down bike so hopefully little movement as possible during trip home. I took county roads first ~10 miles and checked my straps, I think one was a tad loose... Then rest of the ~20 miles was state highway 55mph but I went around 50.... I also put bike in transport mode during trip.... I/we made it home and lived happily ever after.

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
I have relied on these for years. It makes tying down a bike by yourself WAY easier.
Uline Retractable Ratchet Tie-Downs - S-Hook, 1" x 6', 1,500 lb Capacity H-9706 - Uline
This allows you to set the bike on its side stand and place a strap on the throttle side and simply tip the bike up, retract it, and it will hold.
I also make sure to get the "S" hooks away from the bodywork. An easy item to do that with is these:
3333 lb. Capacity 24 in. x 2 in. Axle Strap with D-Rings (harborfreight.com)
By using the axle straps a around the crash bars or the pannier racks, you keep fasteners away from the bike all around.
Like Florida Pan, I too whip one through the rear rim to keep that forward / rearward motion to a minimum.
The Retracting ratchet straps just make life easier when you are by yourself. (which 99.97% of the time, I am)
Hope this helps.
Those look very handy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts