Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

As title say any one had experience with Manchester HD. First time I’ve used them and so far not impressed.

I test road the the PAS on Saturday the 4th September and ordered the same day. Sales guy says he’ll call within the week with an estimated delivery date. As of today 14th September he hadn’t call so I called him. Say he can not see delivery dates on the computer but will ask someone who can and call back. He still hasn’t called. If you promise to call back I’m of the opinion you call back. Even if it’s just say you are still looking into it. Not doing is just bad customer service. Beginning to loose all faith in these guys.

I’ve always used Bowker HD in the past and had nothing but good service. It’s unfortunate they closed last year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would ride down to the dealership and speak to the manager and see what he has to say, it's possible they can't find out. I'm sure there are a lot of good HD dealers on both sides of the pond, I just have not found one yet over here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not knowing the estimated date is possible. But from a customer care point of view. If you promise a call back, call back. Even if it’s just the reassure the customer you are looking into it and the issue hasn’t just been ignored.

I’ve also asked for a price for some accessories fitted. He didn’t know the price off the top of his head but would phone back with a quote. Again nothing.

Beginning to loose all confidence in this dealer to even order the bike never mind assemble and maintain it.

Seriously thinking of going to the dealer and asking to see proof the bike has been ordered and their not sitting on the money. If that’s the case order will be canceled and I’ll go to Leeds HD.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not sure if Manchester HD are going out of their way to piss me off. But today I’ve been told it’s impossible to fit an alarm. This was on a call where I was chasing them again for an estimated delivery date for a bike that supposedly was ordered 2 weeks ago.

Ive emailed them a parts list for the alarm, including part numbers. All HD parts. And the fitting instructions from HD. Be interesting to see what they comeback with.

it doesn’t fill you with confidence when the sales man keeps saying "you obviously know more about this than I do"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have unfortunately. Waited 3 months for my PAS. Never rang back or kept me informed of the progress until I complained about the lack of progress reports.
It was delivered with a dead battery. Had to put on charge before I could even ride it as the bike wouldn't start.
Went to visit Gateshead HD 120 miles run as needed to put some miles on the bike. Bike has developed the dreaded starter whine and failure to turn over.. Totally intermittent. One minute battery voltage reads 12.1v and won't turn over, next attempt reads 12.7 and starts perfectly.
On way back at night over Lake District and the fells in a storm over Hardknott Pass headlight main beam only shone about 20 feet in front of bike about where you would expect the dipped beam to shine. Dip only just made it past the front wheel. Lost count of the amount of times I nearly ran off the road. Every time I even touched the brakes the headlight dipped even more leaving pitch black past the spot it was shining on not a whole lot of fun on hairpin bends
When I went to fill up the fuel had to pry open the cap as there was such a large vacuum in the tank. Suspect a trapped vent hose.
I'm not saying all the problems are Manchester HD caused but as they are my first point of contact with HD and their representatives totally unimpressed with the PDI. I'll see how they respond to my problems with the bike. Only trouble is it's 3 hours away by bike and 9 hours by public transport and taxis.
As an aside got to be one of the worst places to take a test ride totally surrounded by motorways and traffic congestion. OK if you're a Man U supporter as you can see the ground from there. Maybe some nice roads around but I ended up in Chester before I got out of roadworks and congestion.
Definitely beginning to wish I'd waited for the new Tiger 1200 or as 1250GSA. That's after 3 days ownership. Trouble is love the bike when it's running . I found it very stable in some severe crosswinds and didn't miss a beat in some very heavy rain and spray. Day 1 of actual riding 260 miles. Lake District, North York Moors and Northumberland.
Very mixed emotions at the moment about my first experience with Harley Davidson.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear about your experience with them. But the lack of communication is familiar . Never phone back and when I chase them never have the answer.

I know the Hardnott only to well. Not a place you want problems any time. Never mind at night. I’m hoping to get some miles on mine when it arrives, unfortunately it’s not til the end of October. So ill be lucky to get a good day out in the lake and Yorkshire dales til next year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have unfortunately. Waited 3 months for my PAS. Never rang back or kept me informed of the progress until I complained about the lack of progress reports.
It was delivered with a dead battery. Had to put on charge before I could even ride it as the bike wouldn't start.
Went to visit Gateshead HD 120 miles run as needed to put some miles on the bike. Bike has developed the dreaded starter whine and failure to turn over.. Totally intermittent. One minute battery voltage reads 12.1v and won't turn over, next attempt reads 12.7 and starts perfectly.
On way back at night over Lake District and the fells in a storm over Hardknott Pass headlight main beam only shone about 20 feet in front of bike about where you would expect the dipped beam to shine. Dip only just made it past the front wheel. Lost count of the amount of times I nearly ran off the road. Every time I even touched the brakes the headlight dipped even more leaving pitch black past the spot it was shining on not a whole lot of fun on hairpin bends
When I went to fill up the fuel had to pry open the cap as there was such a large vacuum in the tank. Suspect a trapped vent hose.
I'm not saying all the problems are Manchester HD caused but as they are my first point of contact with HD and their representatives totally unimpressed with the PDI. I'll see how they respond to my problems with the bike. Only trouble is it's 3 hours away by bike and 9 hours by public transport and taxis.
As an aside got to be one of the worst places to take a test ride totally surrounded by motorways and traffic congestion. OK if you're a Man U supporter as you can see the ground from there. Maybe some nice roads around but I ended up in Chester before I got out of roadworks and congestion.
Definitely beginning to wish I'd waited for the new Tiger 1200 or as 1250GSA. That's after 3 days ownership. Trouble is love the bike when it's running . I found it very stable in some severe crosswinds and didn't miss a beat in some very heavy rain and spray. Day 1 of actual riding 260 miles. Lake District, North York Moors and Northumberland.
Very mixed emotions at the moment about my first experience with Harley Davidson.
Welcome to the forum @Guzzigeezer. Sorry to hear about your rough start with the Pan America. Hopefully everything is sorted out with the bike and you can properly enjoy it going forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts