Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer told me that early Pan Ams were having problems with a plug on SUB-ASSY,OIL,OIL FEED HSB.
Apparently the plug would back out and result in failure to lubricate the top end resulting in some serious engine damage.

They recommended replacement with an updated unit to prevent engine damage. Part no. is 62700328

As a precaution I had the part installed.

They stated that if Harley recalled early Pan Ams for this problem they would reimburse me for my out of pocket cost ($540.67). Cost included the part, two gaskets, an o-ring , oil ,filter and labor.

I was wondering if any others have had their dealer recommend this.

I bought my bike ( Pan Am Special with ARH and spoke wheels) on July 3, 2021 and I have 5400 miles on it.

I have had several problems with it including needing a new engine wiring harness: a leaky left front fork seal; numerous electrical glitches ( many of which didn't show up as error codes) and recalls.

Anyone else on the forum have any info on this?

Thanks,

Dutch

·
Registered
2022 PAS
13 Posts
Hello Dutch ,
I have a 2022 have not heard of such problem (issue) yet will get back if i hear anything my glitches so far have been the radiator hose ,and starting procedur ,and ARH sticking new update twice seems to have solved the problem plus a " Don Performance " mapping (German producer) to sort the engine dip at 4,000 rpm (screaming eagle exhaust and filter ).

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dealer told me that early Pan Ams were having problems with a plug on SUB-ASSY,OIL,OIL FEED HSB.
Apparently the plug would back out and result in failure to lubricate the top end resulting in some serious engine damage.

They recommended replacement with an updated unit to prevent engine damage. Part no. is 62700328

They stated that if Harley recalled early Pan Ams for this problem they would reimburse me for my out of pocket cost ($540.67). Cost included the part, two gaskets, an o-ring , oil ,filter and labor.

I bought my bike ( Pan Am Special with ARH and spoke wheels) on July 3, 2021 and I have 5400 miles on it.

I have had several problems with it including needing a new engine wiring harness: a leaky left front fork seal; numerous electrical glitches ( many of which didn't show up as error codes) and recalls.

Thanks,

Dutch
This is what killed my first engine at 10K, found out from the Tech, engines 1-50 were manufactured outside of the York Plant before they ramped up productions, also the new units had the updated units. Mine was engine 48.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Thanks,

Dutch
How do I find when or what number of production is of my 2021 PAS?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here, in Spain, no news about it. Checked yesterday August 1st. with my dealer (They called to the central spanish offices) Probably engines made for european markets are not affected. I´ll write here fresh news if any change as soon as available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have e 3000 mi on mine, throwing codes C181014C which as something to do with ARH front preload piston position shorted to ground and 70900896 code I have no idea. I have also had the bike just die on me for no reason. Unfortunate that I have to put the bike in the shop so soon. Hopefully a quick fix but from what I have read it seems iffy. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have e 3000 mi on mine, throwing codes C181014C which as something to do with ARH front preload piston position shorted to ground and 70900896 code I have no idea. I have also had the bike just die on me for no reason. Unfortunate that I have to put the bike in the shop so soon. Hopefully a quick fix but from what I have read it seems iffy. Good luck.
Mine just did the same thing today. This will be the third time in three months I’ve had to take it to the dealer… might have to buy an Africa Twin as a backup so I can quit cancelling my plans.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the 70900896 code pop-up today mid-ride. I had just crossed 2400 miles when it showed up. Anyone figure out what this is yet? I'm also getting 2 BCM and 1 ECM warnings that only indicate a failure to communicate. The only change in ride I've noticed is the lack of suspension adjustment/ride height lowering at stop.

I figured on calling the dealership when they open today to see if there is any serious concern.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the 70900896 code pop-up today mid-ride. I had just crossed 2400 miles when it showed up. Anyone figure out what this is yet? I'm also getting 2 BCM and 1 ECM warnings that only indicate a failure to communicate. The only change in ride I've noticed is the lack of suspension adjustment/ride height lowering at stop.

I figured on calling the dealership when they open today to see if there is any serious concern.
I took my back back in for the local master tech to look at. He found that when they did my 1K service and quickshifter install they only updated one module to the most current version. He suggested that from now on I put in the service comments to have the tech check ALL modules and update accordingly. Since he did that, I haven’t had any errors (yet). Seems iffy I’m that HD doesn’t have that in the service guide to check ALL modules, but hey, it’s a new(er) platform.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts