Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody.

i am from Portugal and i am getting my pan América in one month, however i am very worried about the heat coming from the engine. I believe it will be intolerable in the summer, in traffic.
-
1- what is your experience?

2- there are any ways to solve This problem?

i am considering giving up from the bike because of this Issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi from South Spain:
1290 are worst, with big difference.I had one before.
ALL modern adv bikes are not too good with heat because euro V laws. I can only recommend you a CRF 1100 Africa Twin...but...it's not the same....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not a big deal riding in Texas summer heat, the bike temp ranges from approximately 185 degF rolling down the highway with a good breeze to 218+ degF in stop & go traffic with humidity. Lots of people comment about the heat on the right side next to the muffler, I feel most of the heat on the left side, near my knee where the radiator fan is located. Side note - I wear tall Sidi Adventure boots (ATGATT), guessing it could get toasty with regular low shoes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello everybody.

i am from Portugal and i am getting my pan América in one month, however i am very worried about the heat coming from the engine. I believe it will be intolerable in the summer, in traffic.
-
1- what is your experience?

2- there are any ways to solve This problem?

i am considering giving up from the bike because of this Issue.
I really want this bike, dont want a gs, África twin or ktm, but i only ride motorbike, summer and Winter, and i am not sure if i Will suffer to much in the summer. But changing the exaust and some filters wont improve this problem?

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
104 Posts
Guess I'm not quite understanding or my lack of knowledge (i.e stupidity)😁
What motorcycle doesn't produce heat, um you're literally sitting on the engine. You're moving = you're good.. Not moving = not good/heat.. Yeah, sure some may deflect better than others but I don't get it. ✌ .02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm.
I understand that. But the heat needs to be tolerable. I dont have car. Your motorbike is to be pleasure and not for suffering. I am not a weekend rider. I am an all day rider.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yesterday I was told a new exhaust without cat. This would improve heat issue with rider, but again, don't expect miracle. At right the exhaust is very near of your leg and cat near of your foot and at left there is the radiator fan waiting to give you all the heat from the coolant. Not good.
Like I told you before, big bike+euroV= heat heat and more heat.
I was a owner of a dct África Twin 1100 and this is the "big" adv bike with less heat for rider, with difference. I'm living at south of Spain, and we can see at summer around 45°C every day in july-august, and sometimes around 47-48°C, so I know perfectly the importance of heat radiation for rider on a bike at summer here.

·
Registered
2021 Baja Orange / White Pan America Special
32 Posts
You'll be fine. If you're worried about heat, don't ride a Buell or Ducati 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Aa7991

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday I was told a new exhaust without cat. This would improve heat issue with rider, but again, don't expect miracle. At right the exhaust is very near of your leg and cat near of your foot and at left there is the radiator fan waiting to give you all the heat from the coolant. Not good.
Like I told you before, big bike+euroV= heat heat and more heat.
I was a owner of a dct África Twin 1100 and this is the "big" adv bike with less heat for rider, with difference. I'm living at south of Spain, and we can see at summer around 45°C every day in july-august, and sometimes around 47-48°C, so I know perfectly the importance of heat radiation for rider on a bike at summer here.
Kique you have a pan Am?are you fine with that choise?thank you for the answer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Kique you have a pan Am?are you fine with that choise?thank you for the answer
Hi João:
Yes, I have a S with spoke wheels and ARH.
I think PA is a good bike, but -like all- have some flaws or bad desing in some areas:
-rider pegs position: too rear and high. And worst if you are a bit older of knee problems. Here Ktm is better.
-handlebar position: too far away from the rider. I hope install the acc part to repositioning more high and back...lets see.
-No retroiluminated handlebar controls. All other big adv have it (except the CRF Africa Twin). Its important if you ride at night (like me).
-I have the Tallboy seat. Its inclined to the front, not flat level, so is not a good thing.
-Side jiffy stand and center stand interference: really I can't understand what was thinking the designer of HD that day...too much alcohol night before for sure...
-Not too good aisle from dust and mud because the poor design of the rear mudguard for the electrical system placed under the seat. Too open spaces...again not a good work from HD, especially if your a trying get a good off road capable bike.
-The cornering light reflect on the screen directly in the front of the rider at night. Bad desing again..
-Heat: not too bad considering you are sit on a big 1250 heat pump with big torque and high power. Better than 1290, GS1250...and worst than a CRF1100 ( AT have 50hp less).
-8000 kms between maintance. Too low kms (12.000 for Honds AT, 15000 for 1299 and 790/890 Ktms).

These are the worst points I think (and suffer) for a supeb adv bike. All bikes have flaws and bad points...all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts