Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few hundred trouble free miles, my bike is now throwing the following codes:
  • C181664C - Rear stroke position (+) signal plausibility failure
  • P214900P - Fuel injector rear supply voltage circuit/open
  • U228700P - Invalid data from BCM
The dealership just finished picking up the bike, waiting to hear back this afternoon. Has anyone run into these codes before and have any suggestions? I've bought several bikes from this dealership, and they've always been fantastic.

· Registered
142 Posts
I'm assuming your PA won't start with the dealer picking the bike up. One thing the PA does is throw a lot of codes that are caused by voltage fluctuation and don't affect the running of the bike and clear themselves after a few starts. I don't bother to look for codes anymore unless there is a problem with the way the bike is running, then I look to see if the same code keeps showing up. Hope the dealer gets it fixed and back to you quickly.

· Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming your PA won't start with the dealer picking the bike up. One thing the PA does is throw a lot of codes that are caused by voltage fluctuation and don't affect the running of the bike and clear themselves after a few starts. I don't bother to look for codes anymore unless there is a problem with the way the bike is running, then I look to see if the same code keeps showing up. Hope the dealer gets it fixed and back to you quickly.
Thanks - me too.

It did start - though it sputtered a bit on the initial fire. It seemed to be running ok, but the CEL was lit the entire time. Historic codes don't bother me too much, active check engine lights on a brand new bike I'm less able to overlook. The dealership is great, they came and got it and I should hear back tomorrow.

· Registered
39 Posts
Honestly, I think HD really overshot the mark with what constitutes an 'alarm'. So many of these faults are probably completely insignificant and the user doesn't need to know about them. I've had a couple, and check them out of curiosity but they always turn out to be nothing. I hope in future models, HD really turn the codes/alarms down about 9 notches. I only really want to know about things that matter.

· Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, I think HD really overshot the mark with what constitutes an 'alarm'. So many of these faults are probably completely insignificant and the user doesn't need to know about them. I've had a couple, and check them out of curiosity but they always turn out to be nothing. I hope in future models, HD really turn the codes/alarms down about 9 notches. I only really want to know about things that matter.
I agree, the 'verbose logging' tends to throw a lot of red herrings.

Got the bike back this afternoon, the dealer believes the CEL and codes were from the battery getting low and a voltage drop, I'm not sure what (if anything) they did other than charge it up. The bike normally lives on a tender but I'd taken it off for 2 nights.

Just got back from a ride, this bike is just fantastic when it's working!

· Registered
4 Posts
Bought my PA, it had 2 miles on it.
Dealer put it on a Battery Tender trickle charger, I picked it up the next day to take it home.
It had 14.1 volts showing on the screen (not running).
Dealer put it in transport mode.
Got it home 2 hours later and put it in the garage.
Went to start it up and it would not start.
Fuel pump would cycle, the screen went through the self diagnostics, showed 12.2 volts on the screen (not running).
It had 4 codes (I took a picture of them, but I erased them - oops).
Dealer told me to put it on a Battery Tender, I did.
After charging overnight it still only showed 13.6 volts (not running).
I put it on a regular motorcycle battery charger (Battery Tender) for a couple hours, it charged it up to 14.1 volts.
Ran the diagnostics, cleared the codes.
I started it, it fired up right.
2 of the codes came back, one was not really a code, it's the part number for the display screen.
It won't clear.
The other one was for a knock sensor.
II took it for a ride, it was working fine.
Got back from the ride, checked the codes, cleared them.
All of them cleared except for the part number for the display screen.
Rode it the next day for 30 miles, no issues.
Got home, parked it and let it sit for the next 6 days (snow).
No battery tender.
Fired it up, rode it for 10 miles.
Got home checked the codes, still had the part number for the display screen.
No other codes.
You really do have to have a fully charged battery for this bike.
One thing, it never had a check engine light on.

· Registered
2022 PAS, Gauntlet Gray, Spoked Wheels, ARH
6 Posts
I’ve had 2 of three of these that popped up when I stalled the bike trying to get it out of the garage. As others said most go away after riding for a bit. Worst part is CEL came on with nothing actually wrong, which makes me not trust the CEL. I don’t keep the bike on a tender unless it’s getting put away for winter and things have been fine.

· Registered
15 Posts
I agree, the 'verbose logging' tends to throw a lot of red herrings.

Got the bike back this afternoon, the dealer believes the CEL and codes were from the battery getting low and a voltage drop, I'm not sure what (if anything) they did other than charge it up. The bike normally lives on a tender but I'd taken it off for 2 nights.

Just got back from a ride, this bike is just fantastic when it's working!
Get you a better battery. I have the Antigravity battery... It really sucks buying a brand new battery for a brand new bike to replace a factory brand new battery. But I really think the harley battery is just insufficient for the PA. I used to have all of the problems above, but since I put in the Antigravity battery, it's care free... It sat in the garage for a week while the temps in Tennessee hit single digits, historically, a week off of the tender would mean either no start on a hand full of codes. But it fired right up, no issues. I used to carry around a NOCO jump pack too. Haven't needed it at all. (Since the new battery).

· Registered
37 Posts
Get you a better battery. I have the Antigravity battery... It really sucks buying a brand new battery for a brand new bike to replace a factory brand new battery. But I really think the harley battery is just insufficient for the PA. I used to have all of the problems above, but since I put in the Antigravity battery, it's care free... It sat in the garage for a week while the temps in Tennessee hit single digits, historically, a week off of the tender would mean either no start on a hand full of codes. But it fired right up, no issues. I used to carry around a NOCO jump pack too. Haven't needed it at all. (Since the new battery).
[/QUO
Which model Antigravity battery did you replace the stock one with?

· Registered
17 Posts
My service advisor state’s lithium battery unsuitable for pan America bcmor ec something does not recognise it
I have same non starts codes galore limp mode etc etc
I’m getting the clutch gear fix pretty soon I’m told it’s a game changer for starting issues
Keep you all informed

· Registered
84 Posts
My dealer's service manager commented that the connectors on these are a style HD has never used and they are not the greatest. The first the the HD Field Engineer did with my bike while troubleshooting the litany of errors and limp mode issues was take everything apart and reseat all connections. Since that has happened, I have not had a limp mode issue, but still get codes with quirky results. One Fuel Injector code popped up and mysteriously, my cruise control and Adaptive Ride height stopped working, however, the bike was running fine. That is certainly unrelated and I assume it is because of a connection issue somewhere for those 3 areas.

Unfortunately, it threw codes again yesterday and the Adaptive Ride Height failed on uneven ground and I couldn't compensate quick enough so I ended up laying the bike over and scratching up the paint on the Engine Guard. I know how to ride taller bikes and have for many years in motocross, however, a feature I specifically bought for this bike failed and cause me to have an accident with visible bike damage. If HD does not start taking these issues seriously, they are going to get someone hurt or worse, killed (going in to limpmode getting on a highway).

· Registered
2022 Pan America Special
40 Posts
My dealer's service manager commented that the connectors on these are a style HD has never used and they are not the greatest. The first the the HD Field Engineer did with my bike while troubleshooting the litany of errors and limp mode issues was take everything apart and reseat all connections. Since that has happened, I have not had a limp mode issue, but still get codes with quirky results. One Fuel Injector code popped up and mysteriously, my cruise control and Adaptive Ride height stopped working, however, the bike was running fine. That is certainly unrelated and I assume it is because of a connection issue somewhere for those 3 areas.

Unfortunately, it threw codes again yesterday and the Adaptive Ride Height failed on uneven ground and I couldn't compensate quick enough so I ended up laying the bike over and scratching up the paint on the Engine Guard. I know how to ride taller bikes and have for many years in motocross, however, a feature I specifically bought for this bike failed and cause me to have an accident with visible bike damage. If HD does not start taking these issues seriously, they are going to get someone hurt or worse, killed (going in to limpmode getting on a highway).
That sucks, hope you get it sorted out. I have had a bunch of codes that don't seem to effect the bike except the ARH locked high on me once, it was on pavement so not a big deal.
Great bike shitty manufacturing.

· Registered
17 Posts
What is this clutch gear fix? Is it an update or a recall?
thanks
Not an outright recall but in order to have it authorised the owner should produce evidence of multiple non starts and the codes and issues that occur as a result, best way is to video all your starts to capture the non starts and whine etc. I have to say my dealership here in Belfast, Northern Ireland have been fantastic. Every complaint or issue they have addressed immediately. Im told the clutch gear replacement is the game changer for perfect starts. I pick bike up on Friday will give you all an update.

· Registered
15 Posts
My service advisor state’s lithium battery unsuitable for pan America bcmor ec something does not recognise it
I have same non starts codes galore limp mode etc etc
I’m getting the clutch gear fix pretty soon I’m told it’s a game changer for starting issues
Keep you all informed
Lithium has been suitable for months. Hundreds of starts, over 5000 miles.. No codes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts