Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2021 PAS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. Have had my '21 PAS since December of 2021. Put 5k miles on it so far. Love the bike, have been lucky with no electrical issues to speak of.

One thing I've noticed lately, is that when I'm just trying to maintain throttle around 3-3.5k RPMs, it's a bit jerky. Above 4K, it's perfectly smooth. Just wondering if others have similar issue, etc? I've ordered the SE air filter, so I'm hoping that will clear up these issues, but just wanted to hear some feedback from other owners.

· Registered
28 Posts
I've noticed on mine, never to go below 3200rpm's that's when you have the "Engine Lugging", this engine likes higher revs, it has already a hot cam and 13:1 compression, that's the wayy it is, you may try a bigger front sprocket by a tooth or two, if you prefer better torque at lower speeds.

· Registered
28 Posts
Yes, I do. If you mess with the exhaust, it may run lean (popping sound on decelleration), to fix that you'll have to get and re-map or flash the ECM wich voids warranty, but solves the problem.

· Registered
2021 PAS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the SE exhaust, no other changes. It's not about lugging it, I'm talking steady throttle, let's say in 3rd gear, around town. I've been riding for 30+ years, mostly sport bikes, so I'm familiar with high-revving engines.

· Registered
155 Posts
Yes, I do. If you mess with the exhaust, it may run lean (popping sound on decelleration), to fix that you'll have to get and re-map or flash the ECM wich voids warranty, but solves the problem.
I’m not sure why you assume the warranty is automatically voided. I installed the Screaming Eagle exhaust, dB killer removed, and installed the extreme flow HD air filter. The dealer remapped the ECM and the warranty was not affected.

· Premium Member
107 Posts
I’m not sure why you assume the warranty is automatically voided. I installed the Screaming Eagle exhaust, dB killer removed, and installed the extreme flow HD air filter. The dealer remapped the ECM and the warranty was not affected.
I didn't know they actually had a remap available for the Pan (they didn't when I did the pipe last year). I have to have my lower triple tree replaced under warranty next week so I'll find out about doing mine. I also have the SE pipe and high flow filter

· Registered
16 Posts
AFAIK there isn't an HD approved remap for the exhaust/filter. HD is very big about advertising that those parts do not need a remap, which is part of them being emissions approved.

That said, I've got the SE exhaust and filter, the lean 'hunting' at low RPM steady throttle didn't change when I added them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts