Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

If you could go back in time to that minute you were about to take the bike out of the dealership ...

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  cabecadeferro 
#1 ·
.. what would you change?

With what you know now, or have figured out in the last year of ownership - what would you hit the dealer up for? What would you look for. The known defects or issues that should be taken care of before it leaves the floor?

Software updates, cables routed wrong, things installed wrong, common problems that you have to take care of the next day?

I'm potentially riding one home tomorrow, was looking for extra things to check out.

Thanks

#21 ·
I think the main fact is that technicians at HD dealerships are not being trained properly or severely on this new platform. There is always a lot of resistance in accepting new models and technical solutions that leave the comfort zone and experience that we have and I don't think that a new product which is different from the traditional one has to be repudiated and placed in the background. I've taken many new "traditional" bikes without engine oil or enough quantity, as well as wrong suspension oils, loose brake calipers........ Ahhh HD is just like that. The mechanic manager here told me that we are learning together !!!!!!! Like this ???? Did he have training for this or not? I certainly don't.

#3 ·
1. Look for signs of radiator hose melting.
2. Look under seat at harness routing for legs routed over the heads of bolts rather than around. Also, look at pillion release cable to verify that it isn't being "caught" by the seat when installed. (Look for sheath compression.)
3. Look at your invoice to verify the selling price is consistent with pricing on the HD website. I had a freight charges embedded in the selling price...and added again as a separate line item.
4. Look at the back of the radiator fan. If a harness leg is draped over, say, the middle of the fan vs the edge of it near (or under) the LH lower fairing that wasn't the design intent IMO.

Once home, I'd check chain slack and wheel alignment.

Finally, at home, I'd check harness routing at the LH side of the regulator bracket. I had wiring jammed in there so tight both the sleeving and the wire insulation was damaged.

#20 ·
You're spot on about how the radiator guard should be standard equipment. I just took delivery of my PAS last Wednesday (11/22/22) and after I got home with it I was out front taking the obligatory pics and noticed later that the radiator had about a dozen spots with damaged fins. After Turkey day I went back and bought a radiator guard. Gave a lengthier write-up in my post-sale survey.

#6 ·
So i signed on the dotted line today after a very impressive test drive, and as far as first impressions go .. 'dang this thing is good'.

All in all, it was a pretty good experience as far as HD dealers go. Young sales guy was chill, not pushy at all. He said he wasn't a Pan America expert on the but could get me answers to any question, which is all I needed.

Mechanic in the shop who was setting it up knew his way around the bike, and pointed out where the existing hose/exhaust issue was, it looks like there's a clear 8-10mm gap there now. Which still seems unnecessarily close but whatever. Software is all up to date. Not a bad experience all in all.

Oh, and they have me a very generous trade in deal on my old bike. They actually gave me $1500 more than I paid for it two years ago! So that was handy.

#10 ·
I'd have shown up earlier to enjoy it even longer. I haven't had a single issue with mine, fluids were fine, lots of clearance on the rad hose.... The ONLY thing I would have done is try to get a set of spoked wheels off of another stock unit. That's the only thing I wish I had....... 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: drifter
#12 ·
I had a set of Motoz Tractionator GPS tires installed today, I'll pick them up on Monday and put them back on the bike. From everything I've read, I'm expecting great things. I had the 70/30 tires, front one developed a "hop" around 55 kph starting at about 2500 km and has steadily gotten worse.... Dealer said it's cupped and should be replaced (that was at 4400 km), but no warranty (they were happy to try and sell me a new set)..... A week or so of local riding before I head out on a 12 day trip.. 🤞🤞🤞

#15 · (Edited)
Noticed AFTER getting mine home, I’d paid for the $599 appearance protection snake oil OPTION, without being asked, initialing for said option, or seeing it (glorified car wax) applied. Turns out this particular dealership will NOT sell a new bike without that “option”. It’s my fault for signing before scanning the bill of sale. But I did suggest to the manager, they clue buyers in on the fact. His rationale for not doing so was due to state laws they can’t negate the option without running into headaches if/when audited, once the bike has been “waxed”. I’m biting my tongue on how I really felt about being fleeced for an “option” I never “opted in” for. Read first then sign. Shame on me.

#17 · (Edited)
Lol.
If our dealership, in OUR state declares a value on assets and inventory, and sells at a loss, (inferring the cost of wax never existed AFTER receiving monetized gains from 3M), the maker of the “wiz bang” snake oil wax cries “foul”, and the state dings them on the audit. Might be different in your state, and in my estimation it’s a racket to exploit that cunning loophole at the expense of the consumer. And for the record, oceanfront property is as overrated as that protective coating, ESPECIALLY on your coastline… so, I’ll pass. Appreciate the offer though !!!

#18 ·
agree it's a racket and easily stopped by people not buying from them. Bet when sales starts drying up they are willing to deal with whatever the state throws at them, or better yet it might stop them from ripping people off and they will start asking if it's wanted before the purchase. And if you think that the it's just the "left coast" you are not paying attention and sadly mistaken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.