Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the forum. Pick up my Pan America Special last week and am looking for any and all info on the new Harley.
I have a little over 700 miles on it so far, and am planning a short trip in the next few days. I will be riding all over Wisconsin, collecting sites in the Tour of Honor all summer event. (tourofhonor.com)

Hopefully the side cases that I ordered arrive in time

I traded in a Moto Guzzi V85TT , nice bike but it doesn't have 150HP and the dealership network is very limited.

I've been riding since the late '60s and trying not to slow down. Just did a SS1000 at the end of June on my other bike, '18 Road Glide Special with no problems.

Iron Butt Bob
TOH #174
IBA # 11458

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike is a stock Orange special. I’ve ordered the black aluminum panniers. I was thinking about the tank bag, but a review said it obstructed part of the instrument cluster. so I’ll probably just wait on that one. Slip on muffler, not for $1,000. So I think I’m set on accessories for a while.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum @Iron Butt Bob! Congratulations on the new Pan America! How does it compare to some of the other bikes you've ridden?
I had a Yamaha super tenere, Buell Uly , suzuki 650 adventure,Moto Guzzi V85tt. All good bikes, two with drive shaft. Harley PA has more power, superior handling, mpg better than the Yamaha, close to the other two smaller engines, lighter weight vs Yamaha.

dealer network is a main concern with me. Harley dealer is 15 miles away. I have to give the PA more time, but it seems to be at the top of my list.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi everyone. Collected mine here in the UK on Monday. Riding it home from the showroom I loved it even more than I did after the test ride.
However 27 miles later powering out of a roundabout I lost all power. I coasted to the side of the road and called out the dealer to collect it. Its a great dealership so no problem with them doing that. After keeping it in over night they returned it to me the next day fully functioning. They told me it was a battery terminal had come loose but having later read Motorcycle News I read that a journalist has one on a long term test and he had had the same issue. His bike's problem was diagnosed as being a camshaft sensor getting wet so they dried it out and the issue was resolved. So was my problem really a loose terminal. Given its the first version of the bike I expect there to be a few teething problems as as long as I a two year warranty I am not overly concerned with this issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone. Collected mine here in the UK on Monday. Riding it home from the showroom I loved it even more than I did after the test ride.
However 27 miles later powering out of a roundabout I lost all power. I coasted to the side of the road and called out the dealer to collect it. Its a great dealership so no problem with them doing that. After keeping it in over night they returned it to me the next day fully functioning. They told me it was a battery terminal had come loose but having later read Motorcycle News I read that a journalist has one on a long term test and he had had the same issue. His bike's problem was diagnosed as being a camshaft sensor getting wet so they dried it out and the issue was resolved. So was my problem really a loose terminal. Given its the first version of the bike I expect there to be a few teething problems as as long as I a two year warranty I am not overly concerned with this issue.
Hopefully a loose terminal is all that it was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there,

I suspect it has something to do with something being 'wet'. Had my PAS washed the other day and the bike won't start up. I had zero response and multiple error codes. After drying it and letting it sit for 30-60 mins, the bike fired up as if nothing had happened. Error codes were still there. I cleared it out and its been a week now, everything seems to be running fine. Don't know about heavy downpours and whether this problem will happen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello there,

I suspect it has something to do with something being 'wet'. Had my PAS washed the other day and the bike won't start up. I had zero response and multiple error codes. After drying it and letting it sit for 30-60 mins, the bike fired up as if nothing had happened. Error codes were still there. I cleared it out and its been a week now, everything seems to be running fine. Don't know about heavy downpours and whether this problem will happen.
Welcome to the forum @victorgkw! How long have you had your bike for?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello there,

Thanks for the welcome Victor . I bet your right.
This week I went to the dealers & I won't say who just in case one of the managers see this but I learnt from someone that it wasn't a loose battery lead but rather a faulty component that sits behind the 1250 sign on the engine.
The persons jaw dropped when I told them what I had been told but I reassured them that we were having a private conversation so it would go no further.
But that wasn't the end of it. I rode it to our local bikers Cafe and an admirer noticed that one of the belly pan screws was nearly falling out. Someone had clearly not tightened it up when they were looking for the fault.
I know it must be because of the frame technology but I really think that the battery is placed in a ridiculous position.
Having previously owned a GS until this Thursday I struggled to either like the sound of the engine or the lack of torque the PAS has in comparison to the GS. But now having created a Mode which has Sports performance and max engine braking I am loving it. Everything our forum said about his comparison to other bikes he has owned is so true.
Don't know how long it will take for other Harley owners to acknowledge me when out riding though 😉😂🤣

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bike is a stock Orange special. I’ve ordered the black aluminum panniers. I was thinking about the tank bag, but a review said it obstructed part of the instrument cluster. so I’ll probably just wait on that one. Slip on muffler, not for $1,000. So I think I’m set on accessories for a while.
Vance & Hines just released a slip on, a little pricy for a slip on at $599, but I guess we are all going to pay the price until the bike becomes more popular. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts