Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the PA “a real Harley”? Are the Glides, Softails, Dyna’s and Sporties “more real”? What defines a Harley? Does anybody seriously care? I don’t really care but it’s clearly a subject that’s up for debate, according to some.

Well, it’s got a v-twin and the HD shield painted on the tank. That’s a good argument for a Harley. Then again I’ve ripped mine up gravelly hillsides, happily laid her gently into the mud, and the horizon down the end of the highway is now only one of several options. The hills and trails to either side of the main strip beckon just as loud. CAN an Electra Glide tear through quarries, torn up underpasses and farm roads? Maybe. But is that their bread and butter? I don’t really think so. And an Electra Glide is surely a real Harley.
Would someone help me finish my thought?
Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
50 Posts
Simple answer. Yes it’s a real Harley.

I’m old enough to know this isn’t the first time we had this exact same argument. When the Vrod was released the same thing happend, and that’s now a bike most people look favourably on.

For whats it’s worth this is my take on it. Harley is famous for big tourers, but big tourers aren’t selling to the younger crowd. So something needs to change if Harley want to be around in 5 or 10 years. Don’t get me wrong I’ve got a Dyna Wide Glide and I’ve traded in my Ultra Limited for the Pan. I love the big tourers and their great at what there designed to do. If diversifying the range means Harley can still make the big touring bikes along side the, lets call it newer Harleys then it’s a win win. If you like the new Harleys get one, but if you like the big tourers there still there to buy.

I’d love to see more of them. The Bronx will hopefully get resurrected on the back of the Pan’s success. I honestly think the best thing Harley can do, in the European market anyway is to produce an A2 compliant bike at a competitive price, say £5000 to £7000. Once you get someone on a Harley they tend to be brand loyal after that, and everyone remembers their first proper bike fondly. Even it if was the only thing you could afford and was falling to bits.

Just my take on it anyway. Or as some who know me would say, the ramblings of an old bugger.

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
36 Posts
It is a real HD.
HD Explore customers and i agree with Nimda. But what most counts is the Guy who rides the PSA.
HD had two Options going down with The older getting customers or find new customers. They desided right.

I sold my Street Glide because it was too heavy for me. Bike, girlfriend, laugage... Added up to more than a half ton .
PSA has around 260kg more HP easyer to handle so i brought it..
I desided right

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
67 Posts
Absolutely! Was gonna end with that but.... My take, what is the beemer GS, suzuki storm, honda africa twin, and so on? Each and every manufacturer has many pokers in the fire, hell what doesn't honda make? So yes, very much a HD. Not positive but KTM and HD are the ones that pretty much make 2 wheels?!

Now (off topic little) one could argue (which they do) the 04-06 GTOs aren't really a GTO! However, this working stiff can't afford a "real" one but am very happy/satisfied and it makes me grin when I drive my 05 GTO!😁 And I'm getting the same but different feeling while on my HARLEY DAVIDSON PA!

So naysayers will continue but I'm gonna still enjoy my "whatever" they want to call them.

Speaking of I hear the road a calling, I must go! ✌

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's a real Harley. I've owned a Harley since I bought a FXR off the showroom floor in March of 1992, and also own and ride Buells, which, by the way, are not Harleys. I think the Motor Company has dedicated a lot time, effort, and money to attract younger riders over the years, without much to show for the outlay in capital. Not long ago they made a big effort with multiple "Sportster" variants (just check any of the HOG magazines from about 2009 to 2019), and still not much of the younger generation clicked with the brand. It's also widely assumed that part of the initial partnership with Buell were under the auspices of younger riders buying Buells and then "graduating" to Harleys - - another effort with very limited success.

Which brings me to my main point - - after the initial rave reviews of the Pan America, and the technological effort to get the bike the bike to market, what will really will "win" new members into the Harley community is the company's effort to embrace this bike and the adventure riding crowd at the dealership level. As a dedicated Buell rider, I've experienced first-hand the "second class citizen" treatment when attempting to get parts or service from various Harley dealers over the years. Some dealers were great and considered the Buells as part of the family, others, not so much. . . What I think will help this effort is that the Revolution Max engine is already been adopted in a Sportster, and I would imagine will find its way into the rest of the Harley models in the coming years, which, if memory serves was not an option for the V-Rod Revolution engine when it debuted a few decades ago (something about engine size compared to the other models frame dimensions).

So yes, I think it's a real Harley. Great dealer network (in the US) and from what I've seen so far the dealers seem to be excited about this bike, great technology, already transferring the engine into other Harley models all bodes well and reinforces the fact that this bike is the real deal. . .

Paul

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, I would say it's not a real Harley based on what I have over heard the poser boy's say when looking at my PA. But then again I probably think what they ride are nothing more than over priced chrome boat anchors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, definitely a real Harley! My son and I both traded our touring bikes in for the Panamerica, and within the first few days we were both loosing fluids. Mine was coolent. Due to a loose radiator cap, his is weeping oilfrom cam chain cover. His exhaust heat shield also fell off going down the road. His fuel pump is also very loud. I'm sure our dealer will take care of these problems in the off season, but until them we are riding the snot out of these REAL HARLEYS!!! thay are a blast to ride, we have 5500 miles on his and 7600 on mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts