Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

Lithium- or AGM Battery? statistics?

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jhhvogel 
#1 ·
Long story short...

Bought a PAS in august 2021 which was delivered in Feb 2022. Did appr. 11.000 mls in 6 months, had some issues like oil in coolant and the usual electronic/ software problems (had a ritual on our 3750mls summertrip: start / black screen / pull main fuse / wait for 25 min / put fuse back and restart). After the summer de dealer replaced the AGM battery for a lithium one. Mechanically things got worse, they replaced the clutch, the starterclutch and the bcm.. Our beloved PAS rode perfect for one day (350mls) and I got stranded again, starter went round but the engine did not fire up. After the ritual I made it home and the PAS was collected by the dealer the next day.

Ergo: our 21 PAS is replaced by the dealer with a late 22.

When I picked the 22 up I got a Fob warning while riding (?), went back to the dealer and they replaced the fobs battery. rode of and got the same warning, went back and they could not duplicate the warning... Went out riding last Sunday. Wanted to start and it misfired and immediately fired up with a 'ride-mode warning' switched it off / on, removed the LHCM, RHCM and ECM codes, pressed start and got a couple off wines 😂... battery power is low, even hooked on the HD AGM charger.

question..... is the lithium replacement still relevant. Are there statistics of wrecking BCM or regulators by lithium batteries?

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't speak statistically but I used a Lithium in my SGS for 2 years with no problems before selling the bike. I noticed no positive or negative effects. perhaps the longitivtiy would have been better but I get 4/5 years out of a standard HD replacement almost every time. I'm very animate about putting it on the tender every night and I ride at least 3 days a week to work 70 miles round trip. I still have the stock battery in the PA and there has been no issues regarding starting or low battery conditions. SOOO sorry you're having this kind of luck twice with this model. Mine has not been trouble free either but nothing like your experiences.

#3 ·
Normally I'm a Lithium fan. Low self discharge rate, higher voltage while being drawn down (IE starting), all good right? The downside is they generally have less actual capacity than the same sized lead acid they're replacing when talking motorcycle sized batts. And the Pan Am uses a TINY batt size... so if you're not careful sourcing your Lithium batt I can see you ending up with more troubles than you had with the OEM unit.

For example, Antigravity points you to ATX12-HD-RS Lithium Motorsport Battery for the Pan Am. 8Ah actual capacity, vs the OEM's 12Ah spec'd capacity.

If it'd fit, I'd shove YTX12-24 Hi-Power Lithium Battery in instead. 15Ah actual capacity, so an actual upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.