Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have installed Lonerider semi rigged saddle bags on my Pan America as well as the overlander top bag .. if you are interested in such a setup feel free to ask.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Mountain
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire
Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle

Note that if you would like to install the semi rigged saddle bags you would have to inform Lonerider beforehand so that they will supply you with permanent mounts that will fit on the Harley Davidson racks. Alternatively they will recommend you to get racks from a certain aftermarket brand (forgot the name) that will fit both the Pan America and the Lonerider quick release system. That being said, I personally like the permanent setup as it sheds some weight once you remove the quick release metal piece .. also there are inner bags that you can use that come with the bag which will enable you to carry your stuff with you once you leave the bike despite not being able to remove the saddle bags.

Attachments

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
106 Posts
I own the exact same set-up. Couple minor differences........
I chose to buy the Touratech pannier racks. They are 18mm O.D. tubing which makes them a bit easier to adjust the Lonerider backing plate.
So far, I love them. easy on and off, tons of options to put on, and the overlander bag is great to take in to the hotel for the night,

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I own the exact same set-up. Couple minor differences........
I chose to buy the Touratech pannier racks. They are 18mm O.D. tubing which makes them a bit easier to adjust the Lonerider backing plate.
So far, I love them. easy on and off, tons of options to put on, and the overlander bag is great to take in to the hotel for the night,
The overlander is a game changer for me! Having it as a backpack makes life much easier when it comes to checking in to the hotel :)

I would assume you have the quick release system installed. How is it? I’m loving the bags even though they are permanently mounted

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
106 Posts
I really like the quick release system. Unless I am on a trip, the side bags remain in the garage. The overlander has proven to be the general, everyday bag.
Quick release are lockable to the frame and of course, the bags are lockable. I like taking them off quickly for maintenance and cleaning.
The mollie system allows many different mounting options for the other smaller bags. I keep my tool roll and chain lube in the smaller bags to keep them out of the primary bags where clothing and gear are kept.
Packing the overlander with what you need for the night is key to checking in for the night. Bag over the shoulder, helmet in hand, and I'm good to go.
In general, the quality of the materials used is far superior to most other bags I've had.
So far, so good.

· Premium Member
104 Posts
LOVE the bags. Do I understand this right: IF I buy the HD side mounting racks THEY WILL WORK with the Lone Rider / MotoBags? The Lone Rider website "fixed install" video seems to say yes but I can't get a clear answer from Lone Rider sales/customer support that the Pan America can work... THE LR folks are super responsive. I LOVE THAT but really can't get the answers. Any thoughts welcome.

· Premium Member
104 Posts
I really like the quick release system. Unless I am on a trip, the side bags remain in the garage. The overlander has proven to be the general, everyday bag.
Quick release are lockable to the frame and of course, the bags are lockable. I like taking them off quickly for maintenance and cleaning.
The mollie system allows many different mounting options for the other smaller bags. I keep my tool roll and chain lube in the smaller bags to keep them out of the primary bags where clothing and gear are kept.
Packing the overlander with what you need for the night is key to checking in for the night. Bag over the shoulder, helmet in hand, and I'm good to go.
In general, the quality of the materials used is far superior to most other bags I've had.
So far, so good.
Love to hear more. I'm trying to determine best set up to fit the pan america side mounts and bags. I love Lone Rider but can't determine whether the HD OEM side mounts can be used for the "fixed" position for Lone Rider. Researched Touratech too but can't determine what side rack fits HD and the bags. Any insights appreciated.

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
106 Posts
Standard Touratech racks for the Pan America work with Lonerider. They are 18mm tubular stock which is required for all lonerider products. The HD factory racks are oval tubing and are NOT compatible with Lonerider motobags.

· Premium Member
104 Posts
Standard Touratech racks for the Pan America work with Lonerider. They are 18mm tubular stock which is required for all lonerider products. The HD factory racks are oval tubing and are NOT compatible with Lonerider motobags.
Appreciate the response and apologize for being a noob here. I can't find any touratech products on their site that seem to work. What do yours look like? Thank you thank you.

· Premium Member
104 Posts
Zega EVO X Premium Pannier System, Harley Davidson Pan America (touratech-usa.com)

you need to call them and get the part number for the RACK only. They sold it to me with no issues. Installation was easy, it is super strong and required very minimal adjustments when installing the LoneRider motobags with the quick release system.
Thank you. That's the answer. I LOVE the 2022 GI Enthusiast PAS. I'm an Army vet and just love honoring the whole idea of the bike. SO bummed out about the electronics but your experience is enlightening and giving me the mental support I needed/wanted so thank you for that response on the other chain too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts