Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

Loose Jiffy Stand Equals Total Disassembly of 2022 PAS (4k+ miles)

8K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Ridethere 
#1 ·
For starters, I still remain HD's biggest fan. And my Dealer, Sales and Service, always great. This bike is the best, but there remains room for improvement . . .

In the garage, climbing off, and the bike almost buries me . . . get 'er up on the Center Stand and find 2 of 3 bolts missing to the Jiffy Stand, and the 3rd barely fixed in place. And oil seeping from a mounting hole. Agony. Get 'er to the Dealer and it's 2-4 weeks (dream on) for a new Crankcase Half and 40+ shop hours for repair. All because the Jiffy Stand was not anchored correctly? And sure enough, no thread locker of any type on the remaining bolt (nicely bent).

Check it out: remove Fairing, Seats, Fuel Tank, Steering Head Covers, Main Fuse, the TAIL SECTION, Brake Line Clamps, Air Box, Plugs, Ignition Coil and Coil Mount, EVAP (?) Line, Sensor Harness, Induction Module, ECM, Cylinder Head Caddy Cover, Skids Plate, Engine Guards, Voltage Regulator and Mount, Coolant Overflow Tank, Radiator, Jiffy Stand (that should be easy), Center Stand, Left Foot Control Bracket, Chain Guard, Exhaust System, Rear Wheels, Drive Chain, Disconnect Rear Shock, remove Mid Frame from Engine, detach Front Frame, and then transfer Sensor Harness, Drive Sprocket, and Rear Port Extension Header, and starter (for safe keeping). Also get your hands on HD's Engine Support Plate, Powertrain R&R Fixture, Crankshaft Protector, and a short 2X4 for use with a Flat Jack Stand.

. . . and that's just to get at the Crankcase (!). Am betting I made my point. Here's my ask-- can it be known if I should be okay with this outcome given the bike has less than 5k miles? Do I have any other options, recourse for satisfaction. What assurances do I have that my trusted Dealer Techs are equal to some brand new tasking here (factory trained, qualified, experienced)? What about ALL those electronics, seals and sensors, fittings, connections, plugs-- everything all previously factory sealed, moisture safe and fastened to spec? Should I worry for bugs and gremlins further down the road?

Should I just ask for a new bike, prepare to get laughed at, or would someone somewhere take me serious? Hope is not a strategy, but it feels like my only recourse. Any thoughts? Can anyone share any contact info for Customer Service Harley Davidson USA (beyond the "Contact Us" at HD.com)-- any secret inroads?

Btw, book says 15-18 ft-lbs on those mounting bolts-- nuh uh, 24-36 pounds depending on your fear and RED thread locker given this outcome. Just sayin' 👊

Bike a nice day, knee caps in the wind. It snows tomorrow. Tx eh, JM.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fender Road surface
Font Monochrome Monochrome photography Writing Paper

See less See more
#5 ·
The engine case cracked. So to fix that you have to remove the engine, disassemble it, split the cases, replace the case, reassemble, and then reinstall. It's a lot of work!

In checking mine I found that one of the screws was loose. I applied thread locker and torqued all of them to the proper torque.

On a similar note, I found that one of the bolts holding my front fender in place was missing and another one was loose. A new bolt was only $0.59 from Harley but I also added thread locker and torqued these too.

#8 · (Edited)
Snowdog, Yeah I'm not a fan of the side stand either - The fact that you have to tilt the bike past vertical to swing the little stand out in the first place, makes no sense to me - it's very awkward with a passenger on the bike. And sometimes my bike leans CRAZY far to the left, when it's on the side stand, where it actually takes some extra effort to stand it back upright. And then other times when the stubby little stand makes contact with a rough concrete surface, it binds instantly, doesn't "slide" outward, and leaves the bike standing nearly vertically upright. Yesterday at a gas station the side stand caught on some rough pavement and didn't let the bike lean like it usually does. I noticed it was standing very upright and thought it was going to be OK. As I was standing on the left-hand side of the bike, topping off the tank, I leaned over it to peer into the fill-neck, and suddenly I felt the bike start to move away from me ... annnd ... BOOM, it toppled over towards the right-hand side and slammed down on the concrete before I could catch it!!! In fact I went down with it as I was trying to stop it, and ended up jumping OVER the bike as it hit the ground. The fill cap was still open and gasoline was pouring out onto the ground before I could turn around and start to pick it back up. I was so mad at myself, and cursed the #%#$&amn jiffy stand too, but in the end I suppose it was my own dang fault. Luckily the right side engine guard did it's job, and thankfully I had recently mounted an exhaust guard - it also did it's job and the gouges are nothing a little sand paper and satin paint won't take care of. Wish I could say the same for the side of my Shad top case. :sneaky:

Attachments

#7 ·
:confused:Thanks for pointing out the loose/missing side stand bolts - that's crazy that yours caused so much headache! I double-checked mine yesterday after reading your post - they are in place but while down there I noticed I'm missing one of the engine side cover bolts - this is the SECOND time that has happened!

Attachments

#25 ·
Btw, book says 15-18 ft-lbs on those mounting bolts-- nuh uh, 24-36 pounds depending on your fear and RED thread locker given this outcome. Just sayin' 👊
Be careful, my friend. Over torqueing those bolts might strip out the threads. The torque spec is fine, the bolts just need some blue Loctite (red Loctite might actually strip the threads out as well should you ever need to remove the side stand). I took my PAS home from the dealership and spent the first weekend going through the bike and checking for loose bolts, mis-routed hoses and electrical harnesses. Glad i did as whomever assembled everything under the seat left it all loose and misplaced (probably the tech at the dealership doing the pre-delivery service).

I have never been a fan of bolting a side stand directly to the engine case. It's much better to have it attached to something not as important or more substantial. Over my years of wrenching on bikes I have seen countless sport bikes with the same unfortunate outcome that you experienced. Since sport bikes don't have center stands those guys are bad to lean the bike over on the side stand so they can spin the rear wheel while applying chain lube which can lead to it breaking off. Ducati dealerships have made a LOT of money on those repairs over the years.

#29 ·
Be careful, my friend. Over torqueing those bolts might strip out the threads. The torque spec is fine, the bolts just need some blue Loctite (red Loctite might actually strip the threads out as well should you ever need to remove the side stand). I took my PAS home from the dealership and spent the first weekend going through the bike and checking for loose bolts, mis-routed hoses and electrical harnesses. Glad i did as whomever assembled everything under the seat left it all loose and misplaced (probably the tech at the dealership doing the pre-delivery service).

I have never been a fan of bolting a side stand directly to the engine case. It's much better to have it attached to something not as important or more substantial. Over my years of wrenching on bikes I have seen countless sport bikes with the same unfortunate outcome that you experienced. Since sport bikes don't have center stands those guys are bad to lean the bike over on the side stand so they can spin the rear wheel while applying chain lube which can lead to it breaking off. Ducati dealerships have made a LOT of money on those repairs over the years.
Agreed, thank you good sir! JM

#30 ·
For starters, I still remain HD's biggest fan. And my Dealer, Sales and Service, always great. This bike is the best, but there remains room for improvement . . . In the garage, climbing off, and the bike almost buries me . . . get 'er up on the Center Stand and find 2 of 3 bolts missing to the Jiffy Stand, and the 3rd barely fixed in place. And oil seeping from a mounting hole. Agony. Get 'er to the Dealer and it's 2-4 weeks (dream on) for a new Crankcase Half and 40+ shop hours for repair. All because the Jiffy Stand was not anchored correctly? And sure enough, no thread locker of any type on the remaining bolt (nicely bent). Check it out: remove Fairing, Seats, Fuel Tank, Steering Head Covers, Main Fuse, the TAIL SECTION, Brake Line Clamps, Air Box, Plugs, Ignition Coil and Coil Mount, EVAP (?) Line, Sensor Harness, Induction Module, ECM, Cylinder Head Caddy Cover, Skids Plate, Engine Guards, Voltage Regulator and Mount, Coolant Overflow Tank, Radiator, Jiffy Stand (that should be easy), Center Stand, Left Foot Control Bracket, Chain Guard, Exhaust System, Rear Wheels, Drive Chain, Disconnect Rear Shock, remove Mid Frame from Engine, detach Front Frame, and then transfer Sensor Harness, Drive Sprocket, and Rear Port Extension Header, and starter (for safe keeping). Also get your hands on HD's Engine Support Plate, Powertrain R&R Fixture, Crankshaft Protector, and a short 2X4 for use with a Flat Jack Stand. . . . and that's just to get at the Crankcase (!). Am betting I made my point. Here's my ask-- can it be known if I should be okay with this outcome given the bike has less than 5k miles? Do I have any other options, recourse for satisfaction. What assurances do I have that my trusted Dealer Techs are equal to some brand new tasking here (factory trained, qualified, experienced)? What about ALL those electronics, seals and sensors, fittings, connections, plugs-- everything all previously factory sealed, moisture safe and fastened to spec? Should I worry for bugs and gremlins further down the road? Should I just ask for a new bike, prepare to get laughed at, or would someone somewhere take me serious? Hope is not a strategy, but it feels like my only recourse. Any thoughts? Can anyone share any contact info for Customer Service Harley Davidson USA (beyond the "Contact Us" at HD.com)-- any secret inroads? Btw, book says 15-18 ft-lbs on those mounting bolts-- nuh uh, 24-36 pounds depending on your fear and RED thread locker given this outcome. Just sayin' 👊 Bike a nice day, knee caps in the wind. It snows tomorrow. Tx eh, JM. View attachment 1800 View attachment 1801
I have a’21 pas and never thought to even check the side stand bolts until I saw this thread. My rear bolt was back almost all the way out! Blue thread locker, and re-tightened. Unbelievable that the bolts can work lose and the side stand can actually have the leverage to crack the case. And the repair hours, what a joke. I too love the MoCo, but this bike is a no confidence vote. Oh and my heat shield welds finally broke too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.