Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.

I have a question that I have been unable to find an answer to and was hoping you guys can help me with it. I have lowering links for my Pan America special and was wondering what are the options I have in order to lower the front forks as well in case I will install the lowering links. Its tricky to me because most of the videos I saw were for adjustable front forks while my Pan’s aren’t.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
You could try moving the fork tubes further though the yokes to try and keep the geometry correct, but bear in mind that any lowering will adversely affect the clearances (both ground and wheel to bike) and also the sidestand will be too long and sit the bike too upright, risking a topple over. The centrestand (if fitted) will also be harder to use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So you have the Pan Am Special without the Ride height assist?
Aside from me being mind blown you didn't choose that option which would fix your issue and eliminate the risk of totally ruining the geometry.

Have you already tried the Reduced reach seat in the lowest setting?
How tall are you?

·
Registered
29 Posts
As Danrides says, I would have thought his suggestions re ARH and reduced reach seat to be the first ports of call. It isn't wise to screw around with bike geometry as it wss designed to be. In short, you run the risk of damaging the machine, and possibly yourself as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated and well noted. For reference I am 5,7 and current motorcycle setup includes active ARH as well as the low seat option and boots with 1 inch heel. I actually set my seat at the high position since I am usually riding for about 5 hours a day .. the low position cramps my feet due to the peg position and that is why I am entertaining the idea of possibly lowering the bike. With my current setup from a hight and comfort point of view the bike is great .. the only reason I would consider lowering the bike is to even stretch my leg further by reinstalling the original seat and placing it on the high position.

Wanted to do some research before killing the idea of lowering the bike :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw, in general when it comes to adv motorcycles the choice of lower the bike vs. installing a low seat option is debatable in my opinion based on the bike’s usages. If you will ride on highways for the most part, then maybe lowering the bike and stretching your legs with a properly positioned foot peg is the better option. If you will be doing lots of off-roading then a lower seat probably will be the wiser choice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts