Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

These hand guards appear certain to be available for the Pan America in the very near future. The company’s owner, Andrew, at my request, sent an ensemble of mounts, and a pair of guards to assess. It did not appear the mounts were suitable, so I cobbled some together in my shop, that worked very well, and emailed Andrew a set of Solidworks parts files to give him a clue what a good starting point might be, to work his own magic.

Not unlike our OEM guards, there will be interference at the windshield’s higher settings, to a gross degree at the highest setting, which renders full left/right steering unattainable. Two solutions exist;
-Avoid the upper two heights when range of steering is crucial.

-Trim the windshield, polish the trimmed edge to appear factory, and ride on.

I chose the latter option, and couldn’t be happier.

I’m very curious to see where Andrew’s mounting solution takes this. It will likely look different, yet almost certainly produce the same guard location, and
minor caveats.
Ed

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
View attachment 1750
View attachment 1751

These hand guards appear certain to be available for the Pan America in the very near future. The company’s owner, Andrew, at my request, sent an ensemble of mounts, and a pair of guards to assess. It did not appear the mounts were suitable, so I cobbled some together in my shop, that worked very well, and emailed Andrew a set of Solidworks parts files to give him a clue what a good starting point might be, to work his own magic.

Not unlike our OEM guards, there will be interference at the windshield’s higher settings, to a gross degree at the highest setting, which renders full left/right steering unattainable. Two solutions exist;
-Avoid the upper two heights when range of steering is crucial.

-Trim the windshield, polish the trimmed edge to appear factory, and ride on.

I chose the latter option, and couldn’t be happier.

I’m very curious to see where Andrew’s mounting solution takes this. It will likely look different, yet almost certainly produce the same guard location, and
minor caveats.
Ed
Windshield trimming;
Blue Textile Sleeve Grey Rectangle

Ruler Rectangle Office ruler Tape measure Plant

Before trim;
Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Tire Hood

After trim;
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

1 - 2 of 2 Posts