Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RA1250S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had Madstads on my bikes going back to my old 2012 CVO Ultra, and have one on my current Road Glide. They do exactly what they’re advertised to do: give a calm pocket of air behind the shield while still maintaining airflow to the rider. As a bonus, they’re adjustable for changing weather conditions, passenger considerations, or what have you. They’re pricy, but they’re several different windshields in one package, and they just flat-out work better than any other windshield out there.

When I got my Pan Am, I was less than happy with the stock screen and adjustment mechanism. I could see what Harley was trying to do with it, but the result was a fiddly, flimsy-feeling solution that worked, but not well. I’m on record on the forum(s) stating that I would order a Madstad the second one became available, and had contacted the company back in March (well before I got the bike) to see if they’d be making one.

Thanks to a post on Facebook, I saw that they were available and – using their measurement guide – figured out what size I needed and placed my order. I’m 6’2” tall with a 34” inseam for reference, and based on their chart and what they suggested a rider measure, I went with a 22” shield.

About a week later, my Medium Gray system showed up. You save the existing slotted plate, but the entire mounting and adjustment system is replaced with metal. Removal of the stock parts and installation of the new pieces is relatively intuitive. I’d been emailed a revised set of installation instructions, but even those were missing a step, and were somewhat vague……And there were 4 metal washers included with the kit that didn’t seem to have a home.

I got on the bike, set the shield all the way down and back (like on my Road Glide), and immediately thought, “this is too tall”. I did a quick ride (30 minutes or so), and found that I had an amazing bubble of air around me, but my jacket vents (Harley Innovator) were flowing a ton of air. Put my wife on the back, and she was in heaven. Even though I was looking over the shield, and could see the pavement roughly 25-30 feet in front of the bike, I was getting nearly no air in my helmet vents (Schuberth C3Pro). Raised the shield up all the way and tilted it forward, and I’d bet the 2 of us would have stayed dry in a thunderstorm. But the lack of airflow concerned me, as it was fine in the upper 70s, but I felt my head would cook during the summer.

So I took a few pictures and sent a feedback email to Madstad. They very courteously responded and thanked me for the pictures. And then the next day my phone rang. Dennis from Madstad called to talk about my feedback, and we had about a 10 minute conversation about what they were trying to do with the shield, their measurement procedure, and what would work. My response to him was that the shield I had would be fine for bad weather and 2-up riding, but that I thought the 20” would probably be more versatile for someone with my build. The next day we spoke again, and he suggested that I try the 18”, as shorter would look better, and might work just as well. So an 18” was heading my way.

In the meantime, I did a 5-day solo trip to Roanoke. Weather was low-60s through mid-80s. I was in a Carlsbad suit for the majority of the trip. Once again, airflow to my jacket was outstanding. When it was chilly I appreciated the tall shield. Passenger was ecstatic with the lack of buffeting out back. But when the temperatures crept into the 80s, I was wanting for more airflow. And on a hooligan ride up 311 north of Roanoke, the tall shield was mucking with my line-of-sight as I was hunched up carving corners. But – and this is important – at speeds well into the triple-digits the shield didn’t budge. No flutter…..Nothing. You can’t adjust it while you’re moving, but replacing all that plastic with metal pays dividends.

Got home yesterday to the 18” shield sitting in my garage. Popped it on this morning, set it all the way up and all the way forward in order to mimic the 22” as closely as possible. Set up that way, it does 90% of what the 22” does at full down and back. Passenger wasn’t quite as taken with it like this, but it was still a vast improvement over stock. And my helmet vents were breathing. With the 18” all the way down and back, I got all the air I could possibly want, and it was still smoother and quieter than the stock screen in any position. Playing with it some more, I found a happy medium (for me) that balanced ventilation with silence.

So based on all of this, what do I think? It’s money well-spent. Madstad makes a quality product and their customer service is top-notch. Depending on what you plan on doing with your bike, your size needs will vary. If you’re built like me and want one shield to do everything, I’d suggest going with a 20” shield. You’ll get enough air on a hot day with it all the way down and back, and be able to block weather (and keep your passenger happy) with it all the way up and forward.

One thing that probably won’t work with the shape of the shield is adding a second set of holes. The “wings” on the side would drop too low and probably hose up the amazing job that they do directing airflow.

Get one, you won’t regret it.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive lighting

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I saw that they had hit the market. I just need to figure out what size would be best for me and push the button. I'm 6'7" and I know one of these is definitely a must for me. For me, the stock windscreen works best when all the way up to the top vertical notch, one spot down from the top, but even then it's pretty much pointless for me to even try to utilize it. I find myself just running it in the lowest position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To be honest I wasn’t set on purchasing a windshield system since I honestly have zero issues with the stock one. But I was interested in getting a quality dark smoked windshield for the aesthetic factor. And Harleys 11 inch might be too small for me, being that I ’m 6’1. But literally after reading your review and seeing your picture. I went ahead and ordered it. A bit pricy and would have loved to throw that money toward my Corbin seat I’m saving to buy. But figured why not. I’ve spent plenty on upgrades so far. H-D Sport Cases, exhaust, air cleaner, tank pads, risers, tail bag, carbon fiber heat shield cover, shift peg. “Hey self, it’s another cool part to add to an already great bike, why not”!! Great review!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
How to y
To be honest I wasn’t set on purchasing a windshield system since I honestly have zero issues with the stock one. But I was interested in getting a quality dark smoked windshield for the aesthetic factor. And Harleys 11 inch might be too small for me, being that I ’m 6’1. But literally after reading your review and seeing your picture. I went ahead and ordered it. A bit pricy and would have loved to throw that money toward my Corbin seat I’m saving to buy. But figured why not. I’ve spent plenty on upgrades so far. H-D Sport Cases, exhaust, air cleaner, tank pads, risers, tail bag, carbon fiber heat shield cover, shift peg. “Hey self, it’s another cool part to add to an already great bike, why not”!! Great review!!
How do you like the risers? I’m thinking I might give the Rox risers a try and see if they improve my ride both on and off road. The only risers I've ever put on anything are 18” apes.

·
Registered
2021 Deadwood (OD) Green PanAm, 2007 Pearl Yellow RK Custom
67 Posts
Thanks for reply, I was wondering that also and I ask in different thread but haven't responded,yet. But from looks, I think what he has is A1 also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn’t know about the A1 cycle risers till I saw the post on one of the threads. The are built very solid and look amazing. Worth the price in my opinion vs. the H-D & Rox risers. I would rather have less potential fail spots.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Guess I missed that thread/comment and yes I agree they look great and what's another couple hundred for a great bike.😁

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh sorry for changing topic to risers. Forgot OP was madstad windshields but thanks for review and they're on top of my to get list, both madstad and A1.

·
Registered
2021 Baja Orange / White Pan America Special
4 Posts
Joined the forum and 10 minutes in its costing me money! 🤣

Beside the great info on the windshield, I was glad to hear someone mention shoulder pressure....I didn't realize it could be fixed with risers, I was thinking bars......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts