Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Baja Orange / White Pan America Special
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Long story short, a great ride 30 km up a service road where logging and pipeline work was starting, ended in a crash that sent the Pan Am on a 150' (give or take a wee bit) adventure down the side of a mountain. Fortunately, I went the other way into a ditch of rocks. Several hours, some equipment and help to extract, and the carcass was in the back of my truck / motorcycle hearse for trip back to my RV lot and then home. The pictures don't give the carnage justice, and the more you look, the worse it gets. Preliminary parts estimate around $22000..... I have replacement cost insurance, but now I have to decide if I still want to ride on dirt with such a heavy bike...... 😢
Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fender

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: kirkster

·
Registered
177 Posts
Could of been a lot worse. If you follwed it we could be reading a much worse post. Or even never reading a post from you again.

The metal parts might be expensive. But nothing compared to flesh and bone.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the good wishes gents 😎👍

It's sitting in my shop, repair shop owner is coming tomorrow to look at it..... I'm glad I opted for the replacement cost insurance.....

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Overall, all things considered, I'm pretty good. I though I had broken my right foot, but it was just badly bruised, right knee and shoulder hurt from the gravity check, other than that physically I'm ok. I'm very depressed about how much work and the countless hours lost building it... But like you guys say, or can be replaced. It was a big kick in you know where too, to loose a bike that way after all the years of riding. Something that seemed so low risk at the time turned into what could have been a disaster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I often think about this happening where I ride in the Tillamook Forest. So many blind corners with a big drop on one side, and the chances of some jerk in his truck coming around the corner being pretty high. Staying wide is your only hope of not ending up on their grille, but also the easiest way to launch a bike of a cliff.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's why I'm having trouble deciding whether to get another one or not.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts