Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner

Mountain 1, Pan Am 0......total loss...

4K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  71Romeo 
#1 ·
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Long story short, a great ride 30 km up a service road where logging and pipeline work was starting, ended in a crash that sent the Pan Am on a 150' (give or take a wee bit) adventure down the side of a mountain. Fortunately, I went the other way into a ditch of rocks. Several hours, some equipment and help to extract, and the carcass was in the back of my truck / motorcycle hearse for trip back to my RV lot and then home. The pictures don't give the carnage justice, and the more you look, the worse it gets. Preliminary parts estimate around $22000..... I have replacement cost insurance, but now I have to decide if I still want to ride on dirt with such a heavy bike...... 😢
Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fender

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Attachments

See less See more
  • Wow
Reactions: Zedbra and kirkster
#5 ·
Appreciate the good wishes gents 😎👍

It's sitting in my shop, repair shop owner is coming tomorrow to look at it..... I'm glad I opted for the replacement cost insurance.....

Reactions: 71Romeo
#8 ·
Overall, all things considered, I'm pretty good. I though I had broken my right foot, but it was just badly bruised, right knee and shoulder hurt from the gravity check, other than that physically I'm ok. I'm very depressed about how much work and the countless hours lost building it... But like you guys say, or can be replaced. It was a big kick in you know where too, to loose a bike that way after all the years of riding. Something that seemed so low risk at the time turned into what could have been a disaster.

#14 ·
I did build it. I was bored and left unsupervised 🤣. There's a bunch of pictures and a write up under the thread "What have you done to your Pan Am today"
I finally got confirmation of the bike being a total loss yesterday. I went to look for a replacement, but the panic attack in the Harley dealer while sitting on one made me realize that I may have to close this chapter of riding..... 😢 Apparently the crash affected me more than I had realized.....

#17 ·
So I couldn't help it........ Filing all the papers with insurance on Monday for the Replacement Cost clause and see how it goes..... Will just have to man up in the spring and get back on.... 🤞🤞🤞
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

#19 ·
Sorry, late to the party - - glad you both are okay. . .

Marc - Got to say, that new Pan Am looks pretty well sorted - - V&H exhaust, what looks like Denali or the H-D lights, Camel ADV gut guard, full luggage set etc., with a few more add-on pieces thrown in . . .

Mat - How is the bike? Hope not as bad off as Marc, but no 225 kg bike off the hill likely to end well. If not repairable, hopefully you'll follow Marc's path and get another.

Glad you both made it through, have enjoyed your posts and input on this site.

Paul

#20 ·
Hello Paul,
Thanks for your sympathy
Marc and I go the same thing.
MY pas is scrap, don, Schrott, worth 21k€ Compair to repair cost of 25k€.
According to a appraisal.
On the Insurance 500€ is on me. ... No big Deal.
So i ordered a New one. 😀
Grey, lanced wheels, ahr.

At all what happened i was lucky, not badly injured, good Insurance.

#21 ·
I know the feeling. I almost stopped riding after a bad accident in 2020 when a kid on a cell phone put me in the ER for a week totaling my BMW 1250 GS. I also had a close riding buddy paralyzed the end of last year. Over the years we’ve lost two others to road accidents and that’s from a very small group of riders. It’s a dangerous hobby/sport for sure. Sort of spooks you and impacts confidence but once it’s in your blood it’s hard to give it up.

The only bad off-road accidents I’ve had were from years ago from racing enduros and don’t use the Pan for off-road other than some dirt/gravel roads. I ended up getting back on thinking of more off-road and backroads (less cager traffic) going with a KTM 890 Adv r. A few moths ago I ended up adding a 22 PAS as a replacement for the GS primarily for travel with a few BMW road riding friends.

Once I got everything adjusted (Black Dog floorboard wide pegs, 2” riser inserts,Corbin saddle and higher windscreen) the confidence on road riding has started to return with the Pan providing great control and confidence with its smooth power, ARH lowering, e-suspension and overall balance. I don’t run the Pan in crazy off-road conditions since I have the KTM and my aging and failing body is making it harder to do aggressive off-roading anyway.

Be careful out there. Off-road they’re still heavy tanks to control. They’re not MX bikes and the on-road hazards are just getting worse and worse. Protect yourself with as much gear as you can tolerate. Don’t dress for the ride. Dress for the crash you hope not to ever have. Make yourself as visible as possible (fog lights during the day) and be safe out there in 2023.

#24 · (Edited)
Once I got everything adjusted (Black Dog floorboard wide pegs, 2” riser inserts, Corbin saddle and higher windscreen)
WOW. Thanks for sharing that. Those Black Dog footpegs look fantastic. For me, any add-on that brings increased confidence is a win. Thx for sharing your story here too commenting on this chain.

#22 ·
Couldn't agree more, lots of gear, especially my hoots, saved me from being hurt more than I was. Unfortunately insurance didn't play nice, I came out ok, but not where I should have so I cancelled the deal on the replacement Pan Am.... I'm going to relax over the winter, I'm building the engine in my Buell XB12R right now. We'll see how I feel about the adventure bike then. Sitting in the new ones still gave me the shakes and a panicy feeling, so I'm not sure if I'll ever get back on one again..... 😕
Be safe out there friends, and Merry Christmas 🎄❤

#23 ·
Just read this entire chain. So glad you both made it out. Different journeys, same results, camaraderie of this forum is impressive. Glad to be here and learn from your stories and experiences. Here's to 2023 and the adventures sure to come.:)

Reactions: Zedbra
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.