Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Solved! See post below.

The standoff for the exhaust-side pannier is the perfect width for putting a fly rod tube. What is a good method I could use to attach a 2.5in aluminum tube to the smaller steel bracket in a perpendicular manner? Even better if it has rubber isolators.

I've got a couple voile straps I could use in a pinch, but I'm looking for something more secure or even permanent (since I'll just slide the rod and bag out of the tube when using (or not needing) it.

Any ideas?
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper

· Premium Member
103 Posts
Wow man. You're my hero. I can't help with the fishing solution but my gut says you solve this one and this whole forum will jump in to help the community solve how to tie golf clubs to the bike! Happy New Year indeed!

Voile straps should be perfect. I can't see from the pic but how many points of contact are there when you lay that tube down? IF you could attach 4 of those straps it's as good as permanent (until, of course, you want to easily take them offf ;-))

· Premium Member
103 Posts
I'd dropping one of those tool boxes under that space... just waiting for a non-chinese mfg product.

Reactions: roadrash83

· Premium Member
22 PAS, 13 Dyna Wideglide, 2001 Honda XR650R, 2007 KDX 220, 1994 ATK 604 E
77 Posts
I have a telescopic and a 6 piece rod, I just throw them in the bags. I also used to trap my long rods to my XS 850 when going out on trips when I worked on the boats in San Diego. One thing I learned, we always find a way to get the fishing gear loaded up!
Velcro straps and zip ties!
😁😁

· Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SOLVED! I ordered a couple of size C ram mounts for 1/2 - 1" bar, a couple of 2-2.5in rail adapters, and a couple of short arms. Voila! Someone can always unscrew the end cap and take the rod inside, so this is really about a dedicate spot for traveling, and it works great.

Not the most cost effective setup, if I were to do it again I'd probably go w/ size B hardware and the hose clamp style attachments for the rod tube (for 1/4 the cost. Given the weight rating, just one of these clamps and mounts could hold the rod.

Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Shotgun Air gun

Wheel Fuel tank Tire Automotive tire Vehicle

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Rim

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

1 - 9 of 9 Posts