Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first Harley ('21 Ultra Limited) in September '21. I love the bike to bits but really miss adv riding/camping . I had a V-Strom 650 with all the necessary bolt - ons to make it a half decent adventurer but always wanted more power for my long haul trips when I was loaded down. That bike graced me with 5 years and 77,000 km of good times.
There's only room for one bike in my life at the moment and I'm here to gather info on the PA. The PA has a lot of good stuff going for it but I want to try and get to the truth and remedies related to the teething pains of the new platform.
If I like the info I get around here, old, impulsive me just might sit down and start running the numbers on a trade in...

Blade Runner

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome to the club. Most on here are happy to give an honest description of their Pan America experience.
My experience, the buying experience was horrible. But that was down to the dealer. The bike has been fantastic so far. I’ve not had a single issue. All thou I know some others have.

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
254 Posts
Hallo blade runner,
Welcome here in the Forum.
My experience is almost good.
Dealer couldnt get it. Fault HD, not Dealer.
The Bike is great and very compeditive to other ADV Bike.
In the Mountains more than great.
I am very satisfied .
Wheel Tire Mountain Vehicle Plant

Water Cloud Sky Wheel Land vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the club. Most on here are happy to give an honest description of their Pan America experience.
My experience, the buying experience was horrible. But that was down to the dealer. The bike has been fantastic so far. I’ve not had a single issue. All thou I know some others have.
Thanks for the reply Nimda. I completely understand about needing to find the right dealer... luckily, so far, mine's been very good...
I'm curious how long you've had your PA and how many miles (or km).
Hallo blade runner,
Welcome here in the Forum.
My experience is almost good.
Dealer couldnt get it. Fault HD, not Dealer.
The Bike is great and very compeditive to other ADV Bike.
In the Mountains more than great.
I am very satisfied .
View attachment 1140
View attachment 1139
Thanks Matilda! I really am quite taken with the PA but have had some reservations because it is such a new platform... As I gather information I'm finding that to be less and less of a concern. It seems that most of the issues are quite easily solved.
I'll be going to see my dealer later this week to take a test ride.
Now my concern is: if I do decide on a PA will I be able to get the side cases and top case... They are must have items and that could be a deal breaker in my mind. Oh, the first world problems we must endure. LOL.

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
254 Posts
Blade Runner, go for it, otherwise you will never know how good the PAS is.
Go and get the Special it is worth it compare to buy stuff seperat.
🤞🤞🤞

·
Registered
134 Posts
@Blade Runner. I’ve had mine since the middle of November but due to British weather and work it’s only got about 1500 miles on it. Something I intend to rectify over the coming months.

·
Registered
2022 Pan America Special
61 Posts
I bought my first Harley ('21 Ultra Limited) in September '21. I love the bike to bits but really miss adv riding/camping . I had a V-Strom 650 with all the necessary bolt - ons to make it a half decent adventurer but always wanted more power for my long haul trips when I was loaded down. That bike graced me with 5 years and 77,000 km of good times.
There's only room for one bike in my life at the moment and I'm here to gather info on the PA. The PA has a lot of good stuff going for it but I want to try and get to the truth and remedies related to the teething pains of the new platform.
If I like the info I get around here, old, impulsive me just might sit down and start running the numbers on a trade in...

Blade Runner
I traded my 2020 Road Glide Limited for my 2022 Pan America Special. I've had it just over a month and I've put about 1300 miles on it so far. I think this is the most fun bike I've owned. It handles great and it comfortable on long rides. I want to put bar risers on it and probably a wind screen to help with highway miles. I added highway pegs and that really helps my aging knees. I have not taken it off road any as I bought it mostly for sport touring. If I come across a dirt or gravel road I want to try I will probably do that at some point. So far, I couldn't be happier.

One other thing, I have the sport cases which I had no trouble getting. I hear that the square ADV types cases are harder to get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good stuff Kirkster!
I like to do high mile days and explore the odd dirt road with my camping gear strapped to the back of the bike. Although not a serious 'dirt burner', I do enjoy getting away from it all so to speak.
Yesterday I did a scenic 750 km, 11 hour ride on my Ultra. The roads were so-so. When I got home my back was feeling the punishment of the riding position and the inadequacy of the suspension.
Those two things alone make the thought of the PA(S) quite enticing. I was never that sore after doing similar rides on my old V-Strom.
Today I was able to take a Pan America S for a decent test ride. I was impressed on many fronts but had some issues with the way that bike was set up. It was a decent ride but not good enough to make me want to make a trade then and there. In truth, after getting back on the Ultra I started to think about suspension upgrades and custom seat for it.
In a couple of days I'll be taking another PAS from another dealer for a test ride. After that ride I'll post my nitty-gritty thoughts on the bike.

One area of concern is with luggage for the PAS. My bike is my daily rider/grocery getter and if luggage availability is an issue it's a deal breaker. The parts department said Harley Luggage was at the very minimum a month away and that they wouldn't hold their breath on that...

·
Registered
Pan America Spezial
254 Posts
Hallo Blade Runner,
if the pas is the right Bike go for it. In case the bike fits you and you feel comfortable with it dont worry.
Because Missing things can be brought at HD or Others. For example,
I have luggage from givi and it works. Other Components can also get in the Aftermarket and it works as well and cheaper too.
Here in the Forum you will find all information about different kind of goodies.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts