Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Was the bike running before checking? Were you on the Center Stand or the jiffy stand?

I believe the check on the PanAm requires the bike to run a couple minutes on the jiffy and then check. You should definitely see oil on the stick. My '21 was actually overfilled.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oil level is very finicky in these motors - I had a dealer do the 1000 mile service on mine recently, and when I double checked the oil level (warm, on jiffy stand, screwed all the way in and pulled back out) the oil BARELY touched the end of the dipstick. I drained the oil to check how much they had put in (certain that it was almost nothing) and I got exactly three quarts out. I refilled it with three new quarts of oil and it was way low. I had to add some more to bring it up to full level.

·
Registered
2022 Pan America Special
84 Posts
Oil level is very finicky in these motors - I had a dealer do the 1000 mile service on mine recently, and when I double checked the oil level (warm, on jiffy stand, screwed all the way in and pulled back out) the oil BARELY touched the end of the dipstick. I drained the oil to check how much they had put in (certain that it was almost nothing) and I got exactly three quarts out. I refilled it with three new quarts of oil and it was way low. I had to add some more to bring it up to full level.
I just had my 1000 mile service done at my local dealer. Since I've read about all these oil filling issues on this forum I figured I'd check my oil. I checked it after moving it into my shed, so it wasn't real hot, but I had ridden it home not long before that. The oil was at the add 1 quart mark. I will check it again on Friday when I ride it. I did call the dealer yesterday and he said to bring it up and if it shows low they will add oil to it. Glad I checked. It did show full every time I checked it previous to the service.

·
Registered
PAS RA1250S Deadwood Green Spokes & ARH
297 Posts
Remember this is a dry sump motor. Best time to check oil level is with the bike on main stand after the bike has been stopped for a good while. First thing in the morning is good. I changed mine and had to go back a couple of times to check & add a few ml until the level was exact on the max on the dipstick.

·
Registered
2022 Pan America Special
84 Posts
Remember this is a dry sump motor. Best time to check oil level is with the bike on main stand after the bike has been stopped for a good while. First thing in the morning is good. I changed mine and had to go back a couple of times to check & add a few ml until the level was exact on the max on the dipstick.
The manual says to check it on the jiffy stand and to check it hot after riding at medium engine speed or letting it idle for 10 minutes on the center stand.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, Its a dry sump engine.
To check oil level on all dry sump engines jdually requires hot engine and recently used (short time, makers says how to check oil level in their owner manuals). Oil need to place in the correct zone before check level and this only occurs consistentely (equal conditions to compare checks) after running for some time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Seems to me there are two scales, 1. on the side stand 2. on the main stand. 🇺🇲

Oil temperature will mess with viscosity, but not volume. That's like the first amendment of the oil rule book 101.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It won’t mess with volume, but running the engine will redistribute oil around the engine. So it can and will effect how much is in the sump and how must is hanging around in other parts of the engine.

·
Registered
2022 Pan America 1250 Special
43 Posts

Oil temperature will mess with viscosity, but not volume. That's like the first amendment of the oil rule book 101.
Oil volume most certainly does vary with temperature. I'm not familiar with Oil Rule Book but there is information here that shows the "volume correction" for lubricating oil vs. temperature:

Oil Volume Correction

·
Registered
297 Posts
IMHE, there's only two things that can cause the oil level to rise given the correct level of oil and neither should be mixed with oil, petrol and water/coolant.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The manual says to check it on the jiffy stand and to check it hot after riding at medium engine speed or letting it idle for 10 minutes on the center stand.
Decided to check this today as I’ve seen nothing to say if the upright level on the dipstick is hot or cold. Main reason for check was, it’s easier for me to check it cold before a ride and I store the bike on the main stand.

Anyway. Checked oil level cold and upright on main stand. Oil was just on the full mark on the upright scale of the dipstick. Ride the bike probably for about an hour, not particularly hard riding. Parked the bike up at home switched off engine and checked oil level, on side stand and less than a couple of minutes after turning off. Oil was just on the full mark on the jiffy stand side if the dipstick.

So it appears from limited testing the jiffy stand side of the dipstick is a hot level and the upright side is a cold level.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I have been an aviation mechanic for 17 years and I will say the oil temperature 100% effects the volume of the oil. That is why we service while engines are still hot so that we prevent overserviced conditions that occur from themal expansion if an engine is filled while oil is cold.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts