Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Administrator
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anybody else run into this? I will research something for days, sometimes weeks or even months, before buying it, ESPECIALLY when it's a big commitment. I get a sense of the bigger issues I might run into, only to be surprised by something small! Sometimes it's easier to find out about big problems or inconveniences than the little ones.

What's one thing you wish you had known before buying your Pan America?

~MR 😊

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
105 Posts
The color. Yup, as petty as that sounds, its true. I ordered my 22' RA1250 in October of 21'. At that time, the Motor Company had not yet released the color choices for the 22' model year. I was told production would not begin until January of 22' .
I wanted the bike. I figured that I could always paint it if I did not like it considering how little color there really is on these bikes. The second item was the spoked wheels. I made it clear to the dealer that I wanted the spoked wheels no matter what. I said I didn't care if they took them off a 21' or found them mysteriously that had "fallen off a truck". I was not taking it if it was not right.
Fortunately, all turned out well. Took Delivery in March of 22' with no issues. As i rode it on my long adventure (see other posts) I began to realize that I could give two rats a$$-es what color it is. The Gray Ghost and I have developed a great working relationship and if it were a Tangerine Dream.......I'd expect the same. In the end, I learned not to see color.

· Registered
37 Posts
I wish I would have known that if you put a deposit down on a bike not already part of a dealer's allocation, HD puts you at the end of the line. I watched while unsold bikes spec'd identically to what I had ordered were shipped nationwide..while my delivery date slipped...and slipped...and slipped. Ordered mine in January '22, finally got one at the end of May only because my dealer did an inventory swap with another dealership.

· Registered
34 Posts
I wish I would have known that if you put a deposit down on a bike not already part of a dealer's allocation, HD puts you at the end of the line. I watched while unsold bikes spec'd identically to what I had ordered were shipped nationwide..while my delivery date slipped...and slipped...and slipped. Ordered mine in January '22, finally got one at the end of May only because my dealer did an inventory swap with another dealership.
Not the case for me...ordered my 22' the last week of November 21' and picked up on Jan 6th 22. When I ordered I was given an approx delivery date of end of Jan, then updated at the end of Dec that they expected the delivery in the next 3 weeks, then got a call a week later that they just received it, and I could pick up in 2 days. I'm thinking the dealership was not giving you the full story and the issue was on their end and just didn't want to tell you. Did you ever contact headquarters to ask what was going on?

· Registered
37 Posts
The dealership shared their build status screens from corporate with me during this process. The single distinguishing characteristic was that my bike wasn't part of their allocation (what they "ordered" for the upcoming model year) vs what the factory listed as "available to build" (my words).

· Premium Member
103 Posts
I'm in the sales funnel now...pulling the trigger with the help of this forum! I can figure out the luggage issues I believe...but I can't figure out how I'll run android auto (what I use for my 21 Road Glide through the entertainment console...bypassing HD's navigation and interface....). I really want this bike but cannot figure out how to get it to do what I want it to do. Thanks to all.

· Premium Member
2022 RA1250S
105 Posts
71Romeo, I wrestled with this interface issue as well. It seemed, the more I tried to find that perfect combination of gadgetry to make my experience enjoyable, the more frustrated I got. Here is where I ended up........
1. My phone is on a RAM mount and cradle on the throttle side bars. It plugs into the side of the TFT via a Type-C to Lightning cable. It charges as needed when the bike is running. I pair this directly to my Garmin XT From there, I can enjoy music, hear notification alerts, and answer phone calls. The XT is paired to my SENA headset.
2. I mounted a Garmin XT above the TFT display on a Touratech mount. This is my primary control center. I can make music changes, hear turn by turn navigation if I want. (very helpful in urban settings). This is powered via the switched power under the seat. The GARMIN XT updates faster in real time, has points of interest, speed zones, and live traffic monitoring. I think it does it all better than the HD control system.
3. I keep the HD TFT display set up to monitor what I feel is important. (widgets, etc.) In short, the TFT remains dedicated solely to the bike and its functions.
I realize this may be viewed as not taking advantage of the systems I paid for on the bike, but, it makes things really easy for me and I do not have to worry about gremlins keeping me from finding my next destination.
Hope this helps.

· Premium Member
103 Posts
71Romeo, I wrestled with this interface issue as well. It seemed, the more I tried to find that perfect combination of gadgetry to make my experience enjoyable, the more frustrated I got. Here is where I ended up........
1. My phone is on a RAM mount and cradle on the throttle side bars. It plugs into the side of the TFT via a Type-C to Lightning cable. It charges as needed when the bike is running. I pair this directly to my Garmin XT From there, I can enjoy music, hear notification alerts, and answer phone calls. The XT is paired to my SENA headset.
2. I mounted a Garmin XT above the TFT display on a Touratech mount. This is my primary control center. I can make music changes, hear turn by turn navigation if I want. (very helpful in urban settings). This is powered via the switched power under the seat. The GARMIN XT updates faster in real time, has points of interest, speed zones, and live traffic monitoring. I think it does it all better than the HD control system.
3. I keep the HD TFT display set up to monitor what I feel is important. (widgets, etc.) In short, the TFT remains dedicated solely to the bike and its functions.
I realize this may be viewed as not taking advantage of the systems I paid for on the bike, but, it makes things really easy for me and I do not have to worry about gremlins keeping me from finding my next destination.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for your gracious and comprehensive explanation. You're describing the precise riding experience I want to have. Looks like it's 2 displays needed. I'll look up the Garmin XT and assume I can sync to the phone and the headset both bluetooth at the same time. The PAS ride selections and data analytics/bike info is HEADS AND TAILS better than my RG Standard but I've grown so accustomed to seeing my google maps and other phone apps displayed on my RG that it feels like a step back with multiple monitors. Your experiences relayed here are truly invaluable. Thank you.

· Registered
29 Posts
I researched the Pan pretty well so I knew of some of the electrical gremlins from the forums that seem common going into it. I also saw an exact copy of the bike I bought beforehand as well so I think I was pretty informed. I do wish I’d have had the dealer work with me on the Jiffy stand more. I dropped mine day 1 first time it was in my driveway. I didn’t really have a feel for how the spring loaded and knocked action worked on the Jiffy stand. The little tab forward is unusual and a little difficult to find but acceptable once you get used to it but overall a peculiar way of working compared to other (nonHD) bikes that have a simple spring loaded passed-center locking setup. The Pan seems similar to the big twins but still different.

I tell myself everyone I use it-
  • locate tab forward and extend…
  • lift to R first to clear the stand length…
  • then tilt to L…
  • find the narrow notch forward…
  • carefully load weight to the left confirming you’re in the notch (turning handlebars to the right seems to help load and lock)…
  • Keep weight applied when dismounting…
  • and if moving it afterwards, fold and restart rather than leave extended like my other bikes.

Probably a more stable locking design than conventional setups on a downhill and allows for the ARH hight differences when settling but I still prefer the conventional setup when moving the bike around with a stand extended for added stability if needed quickly or as a separate stability point dragging it on the ground. Still I’m getting used to it and haven’t dropped it again but have to take more time and be more critical on how and where I park.

· Premium Member
103 Posts
I researched the Pan pretty well so I knew of some of the electrical gremlins from the forums that seem common going into it. I also saw an exact copy of the bike I bought beforehand as well so I think I was pretty informed. I do wish I’d have had the dealer work with me on the Jiffy stand more. I dropped mine day 1 first time it was in my driveway. I didn’t really have a feel for how the spring loaded and knocked action worked on the Jiffy stand. The little tab forward is unusual and a little difficult to find but acceptable once you get used to it but overall a peculiar way of working compared to other (nonHD) bikes that have a simple spring loaded passed-center locking setup. The Pan seems similar to the big twins but still different.

I tell myself everyone I use it-
  • locate tab forward and extend…
  • lift to R first to clear the stand length…
  • then tilt to L…
  • find the narrow notch forward…
  • carefully load weight to the left confirming you’re in the notch (turning handlebars to the right seems to help load and lock)…
  • Keep weight applied when dismounting…
  • and if moving it afterwards, fold and restart rather than leave extended like my other bikes.

Probably a more stable locking design than conventional setups on a downhill and allows for the ARH hight differences when settling but I still prefer the conventional setup when moving the bike around with a stand extended for added stability if needed quickly or as a separate stability point dragging it on the ground. Still I’m getting used to it and haven’t dropped it again but have to take more time and be more critical on how and where I park.
Thank you for that. I haven't read anyone's personal experience with the stand. I couldn't figure out why they have an additional jiffy stand accessory. Now I get it I think. So the stock stand doesn't work easily? I test rode 2 bikes, including the one I'm taking delivery on next week. Thank you for that step by step guidance.

· Registered
29 Posts
Thank you for that. I haven't read anyone's personal experience with the stand. I couldn't figure out why they have an additional jiffy stand accessory. Now I get it I think. So the stock stand doesn't work easily? I test rode 2 bikes, including the one I'm taking delivery on next week. Thank you for that step by step guidance.
The Jiffy stand just works differently from a normal adv bike side stand. I wouldn’t say it doesn’t work easily, just different than most others. Not sure what accessory you’re talking about but HD makes a bigger foot entire replacement Jiffy stand. There are a lot of bigger feet accessories for span, GS and others, which would probably work better off-road. I added a foot to my KTM because it’s my primary dirt/gravel bike. Touratech (I think) makes an accessory tab extender to make in easier to locate and deploy the stand from standing but it’ll probably be more likely to catch debris and bend in a tip over. The weird thing is the interference of Jiffy snd center stands. Again, not really a problem just different and something to be aware of. Once you get used where the stock Jiffy stand deployment tab is I’d say it’s not difficult to deploy just unusual with the tab being ahead of the peg instead of behind it. I’ve never had a problem deploying the stock one just how in engaged and disengages. Make double sure it’s locked and loaded each time and it’s fine.

· Premium Member
103 Posts
The Jiffy stand just works differently from a normal adv bike side stand. I wouldn’t say it doesn’t work easily, just different than most others. Not sure what accessory you’re talking about but HD makes a bigger foot entire replacement Jiffy stand. There are a lot of bigger feet accessories for span, GS and others, which would probably work better off-road. I added a foot to my KTM because it’s my primary dirt/gravel bike. Touratech (I think) makes an accessory tab extender to make in easier to locate and deploy the stand from standing but it’ll probably be more likely to catch debris and bend in a tip over. The weird thing is the interference of Jiffy snd center stands. Again, not really a problem just different and something to be aware of. Once you get used where the stock Jiffy stand deployment tab is I’d say it’s not difficult to deploy just unusual with the tab being ahead of the peg instead of behind it. I’ve never had a problem deploying the stock one just how in engaged and disengages. Make double sure it’s locked and loaded each time and it’s fine.
Thank you
The Jiffy stand just works differently from a normal adv bike side stand. I wouldn’t say it doesn’t work easily, just different than most others. Not sure what accessory you’re talking about but HD makes a bigger foot entire replacement Jiffy stand. ...

Thanks. That does help. Explains it. I think I'll use the stock and figure out how to get used to it. I disembark on my bagger by keeping my right foot on the footboard and lifting my left leg over. I tried that on the PAS but it's more upright and I couldn't get the balance right. Played with exiting on the left. Just getting the hang of it I suppose.

· Premium Member
26 Posts
The Air Filter - Removing the tank is a pain in the ass, the bolts are hard to line up, and fuel line is a pain to snake in and out of the motor, and there's not enough space for my hands to easily reach the connections. All of this is made more risky by the fragility of the electrical system in general. And you have to remove it to access the air filter. Knowing this may have made an impact on my buying decision.

· Premium Member
103 Posts
The Air Filter - Removing the tank is a pain in the ass, the bolts are hard to line up, and fuel line is a pain to snake in and out of the motor, and there's not enough space for my hands to easily reach the connections. All of this is made more risky by the fragility of the electrical system in general. And you have to remove it to access the air filter. Knowing this may have made an impact on my buying decision.
Finally going to the dealer tomorrow and close the deal. Dove down a rabbit hole on the pan am air filters. I might have them put on the beast right out of the gate. After your note and the videos I watched I don't see myself changing it out myself. Thanks again. More later.

· Registered
37 Posts
Finally going to the dealer tomorrow and close the deal. Dove down a rabbit hole on the pan am air filters. I might have them put on the beast right out of the gate. After your note and the videos I watched I don't see myself changing it out myself. Thanks again. More later.
The air filter gets checked on your first service. Might as well wait and have it done then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts