Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery in May 2021 of my Pan America Special from Lone Wolf H-D in Spokane, Washington, USA.
I was the first PA customer for the dealership, and it was a new experience for all of us. This is my 6th Harley, including a 2020 Livewire. The Pan has not been perfect, but I have a forgiving attitude towards the Mo-Co when it comes to new models. Both the Pan America and the Livewire have quite a bit of electronics that can be buggy. I have to admit, both bikes needed trailering to the dealership for software updates, numerous times. The Bike and the Fob wouldn't recognize each other, and the bike wouldn't start. I have had ride mode changes, warning alerts, diagnostic codes displayed, and a few other things that "tarnished my ownership experience". Some of the problems mentioned by other owners, unfortunately sound worse than my personal experience, and luckily I have never been stranded away from home.
Those things I attribute to being a completely new model bike, but perhaps the company brought the bike to market a year early?? I have never owned or rode an adventure or dirt bike before I bought the Pan America. I had no other experience to go on, just the positive press reviews and my love for an American company, founded in 1903.
Finally, the dealer makes a world of difference in how your PA will be serviced. The pre-launch tech support was not consistent between dealerships, and dare I say, not all Harley techs are on board with the new direction of the company. No Push-Rods means, "I don't want to know about that motor" to about half the old school techs, in my opinion.
I think the design of the oil dip stick needs improvement, I find it hard to read.
I always keep my bike on a battery tender while parked in the garage.

Rick C
Post Falls, Idaho

· Registered
13 Posts
I took delivery in May 2021 of my Pan America Special from Lone Wolf H-D in Spokane, Washington, USA.
I was the first PA customer for the dealership, and it was a new experience for all of us. This is my 6th Harley, including a 2020 Livewire. The Pan has not been perfect, but I have a forgiving attitude towards the Mo-Co when it comes to new models. Both the Pan America and the Livewire have quite a bit of electronics that can be buggy. I have to admit, both bikes needed trailering to the dealership for software updates, numerous times. The Bike and the Fob wouldn't recognize each other, and the bike wouldn't start. I have had ride mode changes, warning alerts, diagnostic codes displayed, and a few other things that "tarnished my ownership experience". Some of the problems mentioned by other owners, unfortunately sound worse than my personal experience, and luckily I have never been stranded away from home.
Those things I attribute to being a completely new model bike, but perhaps the company brought the bike to market a year early?? I have never owned or rode an adventure or dirt bike before I bought the Pan America. I had no other experience to go on, just the positive press reviews and my love for an American company, founded in 1903.
Finally, the dealer makes a world of difference in how your PA will be serviced. The pre-launch tech support was not consistent between dealerships, and dare I say, not all Harley techs are on board with the new direction of the company. No Push-Rods means, "I don't want to know about that motor" to about half the old school techs, in my opinion.
I think the design of the oil dip stick needs improvement, I find it hard to read.
I always keep my bike on a battery tender while parked in the garage.

Rick C
Post Falls, Idaho
Very good outlook on your ownership experience thus far. One could easily argue that the MoCo brought the bike to market a little too fast, but there would have still been issues. To give some perspective they probably built about 25 "test mules" and used them to find and trouble shoot any unexpected issues before signing off on production. This is speculation on my part as Harley is VERY good at keeping things secret unless they have decided not to. By comparison Honda will typically build over 300 test mules when they are developing a new vehicle. These will be tested to the ends of the Earth for over a year and then they will all be destroyed and scrapped. Yet, even Honda will still have issues with a brand new model, some of which are things they never thought to test or measure and others a failure on the part of the production facility. It is just part of producing any product. I applaud your attitude about the hiccups you have experienced.
As for service I've been lucky since the lead mechanic at my local dealership loved the PA so much that he bought one himself. Were I to ever have any serious problems with my bike I'm sure he is well-versed on the model.

· Registered
37 Posts
Given my '22 has had many of the issues reported on the '21's...I'd say it was two years too early!📅

· Premium Member
2022 Harley Davidson Pan America Special
25 Posts
I agree with @leroysch. I have also had MANY of these issues on my '22. And with only 1700 miles on the odometer, I am probably on my 5th trip to the service department.

I work in the software industry, and to be brutally honest, I think it has become the status quo for end users to unknowingly become the beta testers.

Just like @NoIDRecluse, I too have owned numerous Harley's. To date, the Pan America is the only bike I have ever had to take back to the dealership, for anything. I love my Pan America and I think it is an amazing platform. Smooth ride, great power and acceleration, and striking looks. And it really does crap all over my 2020 Low Rider S that is far from stock. I just want to make it through two tanks of gas before something new pops up on the dash 😅

· Registered
155 Posts
Just to show both sides of the coin, not every owner is having these experiences so I’m more inclined to blame the various service departments. 7 months of ownership, over 10,000 miles and not a single issue or thrown code. I’ve taken it in for the scheduled maintenance and the bike has received all updates.

This is not a post to gloat, or belittle those experiencing problems. But people on the forums tend to only post the problems making it seem like the issues are common and widespread. My son and 3 friends have the PAS, all 2022 models, and none have had issues. This is (I believe) my 36th bike in 52 years of riding, and the only other bike I’ve enjoyed as much was my ‘98 Valkyrie (which I put 135K miles on).

Keep the rubber side down, and your chin up!

· Premium Member
2022 Harley Davidson Pan America Special
25 Posts
@drifter thats great to hear! And I agree with your thoughts on service departments. Too often the folks at my dealership will attempt to clear codes and send me on my way. I call them on it and tell them get to the root of the problem.

I can't wait for my issues to be a thing of the past so I can set out and blaze trails of my own. Like I have said, I love my bike and think its an amazing motorcycle.

· Registered
37 Posts
Just to show both sides of the coin, not every owner is having these experiences so I’m more inclined to blame the various service departments. 7 months of ownership, over 10,000 miles and not a single issue or thrown code. I’ve taken it in for the scheduled maintenance and the bike has received all updates.

This is not a post to gloat, or belittle those experiencing problems. But people on the forums tend to only post the problems making it seem like the issues are common and widespread. My son and 3 friends have the PAS, all 2022 models, and none have had issues. This is (I believe) my 36th bike in 52 years of riding, and the only other bike I’ve enjoyed as much was my ‘98 Valkyrie (which I put 135K miles on).

Keep the rubber side down, and your chin up!
Congratulations on the trouble free ride!
From my experience, though..unless the dealership is responsible for radiator hose routing, BCM infant mortality, handlebar control module pin seating, and correct ARH harness wiring during initial setup...all my problems have been related to factory assembly, IMO.

· Registered
18 Posts
Great post, could have written it myself! Hate the dipstick, have battery tender, and agree that dealerships need major servicing adjustments to work on brand new engine designs. The more models that incorporate this REVMax, that better. I've got 6,200 miles, and love it. No major issues at all, thankfully. She really screams above 6,000 and still attracts attention at stops. The perfect bike (so far) for me.

· Registered
2021 Pan America 1250S
18 Posts
I have had my PAS since 2021. Only real issue so far is bike not recognizing fob. Codes, call to dealership, nothing would work. Same here, first time I have ever had one of my Harleys trailered to service.

The most aggravating is when I go to dealer with a question, or schedule for service, everyone acts likey they are afraid of the bike, or service is scheduled way out because "we only have one tech that knows how to work on that thing".

You would think techs could be trained prior to bikes being sold to public. Hell, we have known about this bike coming out for a couple of years before it did.

I like the bike. I would own another.

· Registered
3 Posts
I've had my 2021 for over a year with no problems whatsoever--until a recent ride in Idaho where I began getting a big "sidestand down" warning while I was riding. That error made the speedo go to zero and the ride modes and ABS inoperable. I kept riding it--assuming it was a software issue that would not truly affect handling or engine running (which seemed to be true except for the ABS not working), and I started and stopped the engine multiple times over a day's ride. Sometimes when I stopped the engine the lights would not turn off. Only starting and stopping it again would fix that error. So, now it's in the shop (with a little over 3,000 miles) waiting for what I assume will be a firmware or software upgrade.

I love the bike and it's a blast. It's about the 10th bike I've owned with one being a 2014 Heritage. The Pan America Special is fast, smooth, quiet (which I like) and it squats for me--which is something my 30 inch inseam needs.

I'm not anticipating any problems with the fix--but I do have to wait two months due to lack of techs.

· Registered
28 Posts
5,000 mile service just completed on my 22 PAS with ARH. It’s stalled a few times before getting out of my neighborhood, leaving me to push a brand new bike home. I’ve never had that happen on other Harley’s, BMW, Ducati, Yamaha, Triumph, Moto Guzzi or KTM that I’ve owned. The wife thinks it’s embarrassing. She’s probably right but I still have confidence. It seems to self-heal after a few hours or the next day and fortunately hasn’t stranded me more than a 1/4 mile yet.

I saw the reports on 21 electronic gremlins and hoped by late 22 the MoCo had it sorted out but it appears not. Im getting several error codes now thinking it might be related to falling temperatures. Fortunately I have a good dealer and still have confident they and the MoCo will sort things out.

Theses are great bikes and HD needs to fix the problems now, even it it means major organ translates in the way of new BCUs, ECMs or other computer components. BMWs have had problems as well but tend to stand behind their products well with recalls. HD- that’s your competitor. Take note. Stand behind your product and get the 21-22 models sorted out and they’ll have a real winner in the RevMax generations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts