Harley Davidson Pan America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My bike has around 1100 miles and has seen the dealer for the first service and issues that I have been having which has left people scratching their heads trying to figure this out. The bike is also "throwing" codes. I can delete them, and they come back. I've contacted HD customer service and that has been pretty painful and frustrating. I drive for a living and I've ridden bikes pretty much my entire life and I have never experienced this type of a problem in regards to any of my motorcycles.

The bike, while holding a steady throttle/rpm/mph on a smooth flat road, will stumble/stutter/lurch. So, just for example, if I am holding the throttle at 45mph in 3rd gear, it will do this, if I am holding the throttle at 45mph in 4th third gear, it will do this, if I hold the throttle at 45mph in 5th gear, it will do this. The rpm's, low/high, don't really matter when I am holding the throttle steady. I don't know how better to describe this problem that I am having. I can throttle out of this sensation, but when I go back to holding a steady MPH/KPH/RPM it will do this. This is extremely uncomfortable and distracting/frustrating. When I've asked about this, I'm told that the bike likes to rev in the higher rpm's, and I get this, but surely this thing needs to be able to cruise without rev'ing the hell out of it. It was even suggested that I run this thing at 7000rpm while cruising. I'm just thinking about cruising through town in a 25mph zone at 7000rpm....just doesn't seem right. This is an adventure bike and should be able to handle lower rpm's without this problem. I've even watched YouTube videos with people lugging this bike and they make no note of any problem doing so.

As for the codes that I have right now....they are
B11B292H
B11A292H
U143181H
U130500H
U014000P

Anyone else having these issues?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My bike has around 1100 miles and has seen the dealer for the first service and issues that I have been having which has left people scratching their heads trying to figure this out. The bike is also "throwing" codes. I can delete them, and they come back. I've contacted HD customer service and that has been pretty painful and frustrating. I drive for a living and I've ridden bikes pretty much my entire life and I have never experienced this type of a problem in regards to any of my motorcycles.

The bike, while holding a steady throttle/rpm/mph on a smooth flat road, will stumble/stutter/lurch. So, just for example, if I am holding the throttle at 45mph in 3rd gear, it will do this, if I am holding the throttle at 45mph in 4th third gear, it will do this, if I hold the throttle at 45mph in 5th gear, it will do this. The rpm's, low/high, don't really matter when I am holding the throttle steady. I don't know how better to describe this problem that I am having. I can throttle out of this sensation, but when I go back to holding a steady MPH/KPH/RPM it will do this. This is extremely uncomfortable and distracting/frustrating. When I've asked about this, I'm told that the bike likes to rev in the higher rpm's, and I get this, but surely this thing needs to be able to cruise without rev'ing the hell out of it. It was even suggested that I run this thing at 7000rpm while cruising. I'm just thinking about cruising through town in a 25mph zone at 7000rpm....just doesn't seem right. This is an adventure bike and should be able to handle lower rpm's without this problem. I've even watched YouTube videos with people lugging this bike and they make no note of any problem doing so.

As for the codes that I have right now....they are
B11B292H
B11A292H
U143181H
U130500H
U014000P

Anyone else having these issues?
I have not experienced that stumble/stutter/lurch issue at all, hitting 1000 miles. Mine runs smooth around 4500 RPM 70 MPH on the highway. I try to keep it in that range for all speed:gear ratios and that seems to be the sweet spot if I need to crack the throttle to get out of a situation as well. I think most people say 4-5k RPM is normal 7K sound way too much for any extended period of time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ron. Thanks for the reply. Yeah….my bike definitely has an issue. It did it again tonight and now a new code….U010000. Hopefully this can get resolved sooner rather then later. Vince from HD customer service tried to contact me. I’ll try calling him in the morning and see what info if any he might have for me.

As for that sweet spot around 4500-5000, yep, I agree. So far I love the bike in every other way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wait so I’m the only fool smashing around at 7-8k rpm in all gears & speeds!! No issues or stumble here. But I do see codes on my bike. Probably from heavy handled throttle abuse. Good luck and hope they find out the issue. A week after getting mine I had to take it to the dealer due to codes which ended up being a bad BCM which they replaced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait so I’m the only fool smashing around at 7-8k rpm in all gears & speeds!! No issues or stumble here. But I do see codes on my bike. Probably from heavy handled throttle abuse. Good luck and hope they find out the issue. A week after getting mine I had to take it to the dealer due to codes which ended up being a bad BCM which they replaced.
Thanks for the info. I'm spoke with HD customer service this evening and they are working to get it resolved. I'll post back on what becomes of this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didn't say I wasn't hitting 7-8k, just not cruising at that. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: I dropped my bike off on Tuesday morning so that my local Harley dealer could take another look at my concerns. The Sunday prior, the bike threw more codes to include both right and left hand controls U044387P and U043187P....both went to a historic code shortly after this happened. Also, where the ride mode icon is, there was now a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle and I was unable to change into a ride mode, which went away after I powered the bike off and then back on. I rode the bike for maybe 30-40 miles (honestly might had been more...I just don't remember and didn't keep track) or so with no problems other then the stutter/stumble/lurch feeling that I HAD. I don't think the bike throwing codes would really had been an issue for me had it not been for the bike running funny. In fact, for whatever reason, this problem of throwing codes seems to be quite common with this bike. Check me if I'm wrong on this. So for now, as long as the bike is running smooth and the only codes are communication and power loss codes, I'm not going to concern myself with them.

Now for the main concern. It's solved. The Harley Tech at my local dealer found that the crankcase vent was blocked. Something in the manufacturing? or assembly was not done thoroughly or properly, which left a small piece of plastic blocking the hose from the crankcase to the Venturi inlet nipple, at least that is how it appeared to me. Once that was removed, the bike, for now, is running a lot smoother at lower RPMs and no more stutter/stumble/lurch problems. I only put about 30 miles on the bike so far and tomorrow I will take it for at least a 100 mile loop. I'll post another update if anything changes. I hope this might help some of you that are experiencing this issue as I can't imagine that my bike will be the only one to have this problem.

Automotive tire Window Rim Gas Automotive wheel system
Wood Floor Flooring Automotive tire Gas

I want to add that I had a few other experienced riders took my bike out for a short spin and none of them could feel what I was feeling, but with a little persistence I got people to listen to me and hear my concern, and the Harley Techs at my local dealer took this problem seriously and solved it. (y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
80+ miles and no problems mechanically, but, it did throw up the “fault error” symbol (top left display). I’m sure I caused this, and, it went away after a few minutes of riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts